Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vancouver check-in

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Living in Vancouver, neighbourhoods: http://www.moving2canada.com/moving-to-vancouver/where-to-live-vancouver/

Look at the map on that page, it is quite funny! Click on the map to make it bigger.

As for money, I've been following threads on here for a while. People say it can take as long as 4 months to get a job. So I'm saving 6 months living expenses before I go. Though...looking at how fast some people here got work, that wouldn't apply lol.

To the second poster, was it easy meeting your husband there? Is it like meeting guys in Ireland? Something I don't like about smaller locations is that there is far more fking around than relationships. In bigger cities I found it easier. If you walked down the street holding his hand, is there any fuss?

Nightlife, I hear it's not so good in Vancouver, but that there is many culture nights. That suits me fine, I stopped drinking a while back so I would prefer the theatre than pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

In terms of apartments, if you're looking to move into an apartment/house share, be aware that it tends to work on a 1st of the month basis (possibly also for non-sharing), so in other words, if you arrive on the 10th of the month, you may be waiting to move into a place until the 1st of the following month, even if it's all been agreed earlier. Also, if you arrive too late in the month, you might find yourself in a panic trying to find a place by the 1st so you don't miss that 'deadline'.
    Moving in the summer is a good idea, it's much harder to find places later in the year.
    you should live Downtown/West End/Kitsilano if possible.
    I would advise against this in general, particularly Downtown/West End.
    While those are amazing places to live, they are generally very expensive rent-wise, again especially Downtown/West End.
    You might find a good deal here and there in Kits, but personally I would recommend looking at the Mount Pleasant area, or Commercial Drive area.
    Again, just out of personal preference, I wouldn't live in North Van, or south of 20th Ave, east of Nanaimo or west of MacDonald (maybe Alma). Public transport is great in the city, but I just like to walk everywhere as much as possible, and from where I am (Mount Pleasant, close to Main and Broadway), I can walk almost anywhere I need to, and have great transport options nearby too.

Someone posted the funny map from moving2vancouver, but take that with several pinches of salt. I've been to some amazing apartments of friends in the East Hastings area for example, that were gorgeous and cheap; yes, you might have a whole bunch of drug addicts nearby, but East Hastings is not dangerous, it's just kind of grim. I wouldn't leave a car sitting around with anything valuable in it, or a bike or anything, but you're not gonna get mugged or stabbed or anything.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    In terms of apartments, if you're looking to move into an apartment/house share, be aware that it tends to work on a 1st of the month basis (possibly also for non-sharing), so in other words, if you arrive on the 10th of the month, you may be waiting to move into a place until the 1st of the following month, even if it's all been agreed earlier. Also, if you arrive too late in the month, you might find yourself in a panic trying to find a place by the 1st so you don't miss that 'deadline'.
    Moving in the summer is a good idea, it's much harder to find places later in the year.

I would advise against this in general, particularly Downtown/West End.
    While those are amazing places to live, they are generally very expensive rent-wise, again especially Downtown/West End.
    You might find a good deal here and there in Kits, but personally I would recommend looking at the Mount Pleasant area, or Commercial Drive area.
    Again, just out of personal preference, I wouldn't live in North Van, or south of 20th Ave, east of Nanaimo or west of MacDonald (maybe Alma). Public transport is great in the city, but I just like to walk everywhere as much as possible, and from where I am (Mount Pleasant, close to Main and Broadway), I can walk almost anywhere I need to, and have great transport options nearby too.

Someone posted the funny map from moving2vancouver, but take that with several pinches of salt. I've been to some amazing apartments of friends in the East Hastings area for example, that were gorgeous and cheap; yes, you might have a whole bunch of drug addicts nearby, but East Hastings is not dangerous, it's just kind of grim. I wouldn't leave a car sitting around with anything valuable in it, or a bike or anything, but you're not gonna get mugged or stabbed or anything.

I'd agree with everything said here! This is really good advice, I forgot to mention to people that they like to do things like rent beginning 1st of the month, though I luckily negotiated to pay half a months rent when I moved into a place on the 16th of June.

Regarding the bit about not living south of 20th, I'm way down on 41st (Main) and it's actually really nice. I'm near enough to Oakridge Skytrain station and have the 41, 43, 3 and 33 buses nearby which means I can get anywhere really. I would prefer to be a bit more central but I just wanted to move into a place ASAP at the time. I'll probably look for somewhere else once this lease is up but I wouldn't steer anyone away from the area.

Another thing is they seem to prefer cheques for paying rent, so when you open up an account, see if you can get them to throw in some free Cheque books; RBC did for me.
    Regarding bank choice, RBC seems very good and has ATM's everywhere but many people I know here are switching to TD Canada trust which seems to be free if you keep a minimum balance in your account.

For mobile phone provider, I went with Fido @ $39 per month. I got unlimited texts (includes international texting), 450 minutes (unlimited weekend and after 6pm) and 600mb data (useful for Google maps).

Google maps is tied into the entire public transport system here which is amazing, just put in where you want to go and it'll tell you which bus stop to walk to and which bus stop to get off; it's very handy.

For useful info or if you have questions, the following Facebook communities are really helpful. They often hold events for newcomers, one of which I went to soon after I arrived.

VIBE

Moving to Vancouver

Irish Womens Network of BC (Apply for approval, anyone can join, not just women)

To add to that, I'd be happy to help with any queries if I can, so post questions here rather than PM'ing me (unless you really don't want to discuss it publicly) so everyone can benefit from the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Sacramento wrote: »
    Regarding bank choice, RBC seems very good and has ATM's everywhere but many people I know here are switching to TD Canada trust which seems to be free if you keep a minimum balance in your account.

For mobile phone provider, I went with Fido @ $39 per month. I got unlimited texts (includes international texting), 450 minutes (unlimited weekend and after 6pm) and 600mb data (useful for Google maps).

Google maps is tied into the entire public transport system here which is amazing, just put in where you want to go and it'll tell you which bus stop to walk to and which bus stop to get off; it's very handy.

I joined TD, just cause there downstairs and its handy to get to :D

What the coverage like on Fido? Im with Telus on a monthly deal but its far to expensive. I make alot calls to Calgary and Saskatoon and its charged at long distance :(

Google maps is my best friend out here lol (i dont drive so use it alot to get to work and back again)..

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    I joined TD, just cause there downstairs and its handy to get to :D

What the coverage like on Fido? Im with Telus on a monthly deal but its far to expensive. I make alot calls to Calgary and Saskatoon and its charged at long distance :(

Google maps is my best friend out here lol (i dont drive so use it alot to get to work and back again)..

The plan I mentioned includes Canada wide calling, so 450 minutes between 7am and 6pm Mon-Fri, then unlimited outside of those times. I haven't run into any coverage issues with Fido but I haven't been too far from Vancouver so not sure..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Greetings all!

Got here on Wednesday night, been getting my bearings and am staying with friends just off Main street, slowly getting used to the layout but having mates here is a HUGE help, have a place to stay until I get sorted.

Really loving the environment and the people here are really nice and helpful, will be on the house hunt soon enough, my mates wife has great advice for that for me, so I am incredibly lucky thus far.

Went with Telus pay as you go phone deal for the month just to get my number etc, think its 1GB of data so it works out ok for the essential stuff like maps and other Vancouver apps etc.

My mates advice for me when I got here was to chill out, haha, so have been doing that the last few days but will be on the hunt now for a job and other stuff, gym etc. I am not too familiar with the areas and that but luckily the advice here and from people I have met so far has been solid.

And the coffee is superb here!

Also, seeing as there is a few of us here, a meet up might be an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Theres a football/hurling tournament on tomorrow out in capilano in north van til about 3 or 4 and then a social meet in o mahonys from about 8 or 9 2moro evening! (Klahaine park I think its called)

Should be good craic, there will be plenty of irish about so ya can get ure name out there, networking is key here so be no harm to go to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    Theres a football/hurling tournament on tomorrow out in capilano in north van til about 3 or 4 and then a social meet in o mahonys from about 8 or 9 2moro evening! (Klahaine park I think its called)

Should be good craic, there will be plenty of irish about so ya can get ure name out there, networking is key here so be no harm to go to that!

Thats where the rubgy club is. Nice one, might have a wander up from Ambleside where I will be spread out on the beach in the sun again. Had a swim last week. It brough back cold memories of Brittas Bay as a kid on our summer hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Arriving next week with the gf and a bit afraid now. Have $3500 going over (she has same bit more) and well have bit of college qualification (a cert in IT) and lots of admin experience but must say I'm bit afraid of running out of money or not finding job and way it's said here it can be major panic. I would be willing to do anything almost straight away when off plane but is there even work in fields and is it so competitive that work may be near impossible?
    Any help is superbly appreciated as we are going over knowing nobody or nothing but wanting to have good experience

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shivdev

I'd say you'll be fine with that amount as long as you're careful about how you spend it. Once you find an apartment use craigslist to furnish it, you can get loads of stuff for free (like couches, tables etc) on there. Dollarama and other cheap stores are good for getting other bits like plates and cutlery.
    Use craigslist for jobs too, they have loads of admin postings up there so you'll probably get something quick enough.
    Just focus on work and getting a place to live for the first couple of weeks and once thats done you'll have loads of time to get out and enjoy yourselves! You're gonna love it over here, the weathers great at the moment and loads of stuff is going on :)
    If you've any other questions just ask, only been here bout 5 weeks myself but if I can help I will :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Cheers yea we know there'll be plenty of time to enjoy but I suppose just afraid we wouldn't find a job for like 2 or 3 months due to competition

shivdev wrote: »
    I'd say you'll be fine with that amount as long as you're careful about how you spend it. Once you find an apartment use craigslist to furnish it, you can get loads of stuff for free (like couches, tables etc) on there. Dollarama and other cheap stores are good for getting other bits like plates and cutlery.
    Use craigslist for jobs too, they have loads of admin postings up there so you'll probably get something quick enough.
    Just focus on work and getting a place to live for the first couple of weeks and once thats done you'll have loads of time to get out and enjoy yourselves! You're gonna love it over here, the weathers great at the moment and loads of stuff is going on :)
    If you've any other questions just ask, only been here bout 5 weeks myself but if I can help I will :)

For temporary jobs when you get there, what kind of work do new arrivals do? Bar work/retail/admin? I think I'll be aiming for retail if it's viable. I would be open to most things, but retail ahead of bars/admin.

Did you stay in a hostel or anything? I was thinking of booking for a week or two. Some people say they stayed weeks and made good friends. I booked a hostel for 1 week in Italy and within 10 minutes of being there found the two people I'd live with for a year. We moved out about 3 days later. Things may work differently there and I'm open to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shivdev

I got retail work within 2 weeks of getting here. There seems to be plenty of it going anyway so just hand out CV's everywhere and I'd say you won't be waiting too long to get something.
    I'm staying with a friend at the moment, didn't go down the hostel route so can't help you there. I know most places start renting fromt the 1st of the month so try and time your flights to get here before that if you can. Check out the Moving to Vancouver facebook page too, they have an international house where people can stay shortterm til they find a place so that might be an option for you too :)

Handy apartment finder

clicky padmapper

• Registered Users Posts: 6 maon

Hello all,

I am new to this whole boards thing!

I possibly could be moving to BC Canada in the next few months and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the place, standard of living, cost of living, what is a good slary, what is a really good salary, tax rates, the people, the work etc etc.

Basically any information anyone has would be great. I will not be in Vancouver but will be anywhere from 2 - 5 hours drive outside it, some where like Dawson Creek or Terrace.

I will be bringing a wife, a 4 year old and a 2 month old!!!

All or any advice and info from people who have been would be great.

Thanks all for your help.

maon wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am new to this whole boards thing!

I possibly could be moving to BC Canada in the next few months and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the place, standard of living, cost of living, what is a good slary, what is a really good salary, tax rates, the people, the work etc etc.

Basically any information anyone has would be great. I will not be in Vancouver but will be anywhere from 2 - 5 hours drive outside it, some where like Dawson Creek or Terrace.

I will be bringing a wife, a 4 year old and a 2 month old!!!

All or any advice and info from people who have been would be great.

Thanks all for your help.

2-5 hours drive outside Vancouver? Dawson Creek is about 15 hours and Terrace is 16 hours.

Ciaran, do you any where in north van that sells soda bread or wheaten bread?? People just look at us as if we have two heads when we ask them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Did you stay in a hostel or anything? I was thinking of booking for a week or two. Some people say they stayed weeks and made good friends. I booked a hostel for 1 week in Italy and within 10 minutes of being there found the two people I'd live with for a year. We moved out about 3 days later. Things may work differently there and I'm open to that.

I stayed here for the first couple of weeks. It was a real nice hostel. More like a b&b almost in a quiet area but within walking distance to everything.
    shivdev wrote: »
    I got retail work within 2 weeks of getting here. There seems to be plenty of it going anyway so just hand out CV's everywhere and I'd say you won't be waiting too long to get something.

Had you much experience in retail before coming out here? I had about a years worth (05-06) but I haven't got a job yet. I probably could be trying harder though but not sure what I am doing wrong. I had two interviews in the first few weeks after getting here but have had no responses from anyone since. I'm here about two months now.

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Ciaran, do you any where in north van that sells soda bread or wheaten bread?? People just look at us as if we have two heads when we ask them lol

Scruff... soda bread is so easy to make.

Try this its feckin easy and its the same as at home. Leave out the sugar and oats though, doesnt need it.

Go on, ya mammy would be proud!

CLICK ME

ps... never seen it thats why i make it. Go up to the Blue Seas fishmongers opposite London Drugs between 20th and 21st on Lonsdale and get 5 bucks of the Smoked Wild Sockeye. Its so cheap mate and the finest on a slice of soda bread :)

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Scruff... soda bread is so easy to make.

Try this its feckin easy and its the same as at home. Leave out the sugar and oats though, doesnt need it.

Go on, ya mammy would be proud!

CLICK ME

ps... never seen it thats why i make it. Go up to the Blue Seas fishmongers opposite London Drugs between 20th and 21st on Lonsdale and get 5 bucks of the Smoked Wild Sockeye. Its so cheap mate and the finest on a slice of soda bread :)

O Jebus, I haven't baked anything since I left school 8 years ago. Il show this to my housemate he likes cooking lol cheers :)

My housemate got fish in there yesterday, it was pretty tasty as well. Have to go up lonsdale on sat so will have a look around when I'm up that far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 maon

ciaran67 wrote: »
    2-5 hours drive outside Vancouver? Dawson Creek is about 15 hours and Terrace is 16 hours.

Sorry meant 2 -5 hours outside Vancouver or some where like Terrace/Dawson Creek!

Does anyone have any advice or info about moving?

Good to hear that retail work is not too difficult to come by. I did plenty of that in school and college, some big names that the Canadians will know. Hopefully that will make things easier when I come on the IEC 2014. I'm looking into getting references from college to add more recent referees. I might ask lecturers to add the recommendations and endorsements on LinkedIn, after all, that could be the future of this and I read that it is very widely used in Canada. Hmm *ponders* :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Moved into my new place today, just in Mount Pleasant, lovely area and central to everything really.

Now to get a job, people weren't joking when they said they take their time getting back to you over here!!!

Gintonious wrote: »
    Moved into my new place today, just in Mount Pleasant, lovely area and central to everything really.

Now to get a job, people weren't joking when they said they take their time getting back to you over here!!!

Head up Main St mate... seems to be lots of bars. 5 Points is good in Seattle so im thinking its the same people, the one on Main just up from Mt P. All the best fella and hang in there cos you will get that nibble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Rarely meet Irish folks over here but when I do I meet the one and only young Sacramento :pac:

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Rarely meet Irish folks over here but when I do I meet the one and only young Sacramento :pac:

Well if you're going to bump into anyone, it might as well be the best sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just got here last night. Savage spot. Couldn't believe how easy the immigration craic was. Fella just asked what I was doing in Vancouver, and then just handed me the permit and let me off on my ways...didn't ask for any of the paperwork aside from the IEC letter!

Shlippery wrote: »
    Just got here last night. Savage spot. Couldn't believe how easy the immigration craic was. Fella just asked what I was doing in Vancouver, and then just handed me the permit and let me off on my ways...didn't ask for any of the paperwork aside from the IEC letter!

Yeah I was the same. Only problem was that we were in their for 2 hours as they only had a two people doing the visas and when it came closer to 5pm 6 came outa nowhere to clear the que! Ne way Welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kittyb89

Hi all myself and my boyfriend are heading out to Vancouver on the 18th September. Just wondering did anyone use the 365 banking to transfer their money.. And did ye get rode with charges for using banklinks before ye had Canadian accounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

kittyb89 wrote: »
    Hi all myself and my boyfriend are heading out to Vancouver on the 18th September. Just wondering did anyone use the 365 banking to transfer their money.. And did ye get rode with charges for using banklinks before ye had Canadian accounts?

I used http://www.currencyfair.com/ to transfer funds to my canadian account, their exchange rate is far better than the bank and a very low transfer fee,
    you just have to set an account up with currency fair and provide id and 2 proof of address. Once account is verified you transfer funds from your irish bank to currency fair, buy the canadian currency then when over in canada and have a canadian bank account set up, transfer the funds into it from currency fair should take around 4 days depending on how fast you want it.

Advertisement