Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vancouver check-in

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Here just over 2 months now. Still not working but have been networking like a crazy bastard and its showing some good results now, hopefully not long until I will be earning.

In love with the city, have made great friends here and there is so much to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Gintonious wrote: »
    Here just over 2 months now. Still not working but have been networking like a crazy bastard and its showing some good results now, hopefully not long until I will be earning.

In love with the city, have made great friends here and there is so much to do.
    Can I ask is it that hard for work that you had to go 2 months before getting any income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Great city, but very cliquey, I'm here a month and just got a job laboring to keep me going for a while, you burn through money verrry quickly in this city!!)

I'd say it's not that tough to get any old job, but it takes some persistence to get something you really want! Either way, the place is amazing, as people have said before, it's easy to fall for the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Shlippery wrote: »
    Great city, but very cliquey, I'm here a month and just got a job laboring to keep me going for a while, you burn through money verrry quickly in this city!!)

I'd say it's not that tough to get any old job, but it takes some persistence to get something you really want! Either way, the place is amazing, as people have said before, it's easy to fall for the place!

Blimey bet its been nice and sweaty doing labouring!

Muffinman1 wrote: »
    Can I ask is it that hard for work that you had to go 2 months before getting any income.

Well I am still not working yet, although I have some possibilities coming up.

Its not hard for work at all, if anything it is the opposite, but it really depends on what you want. You could easily get a job waiting tables, serving coffee or in a bar, but I am holding out for a job in my field, I also factored in that it would take a while to get going so I made sure I had money that would keep me a float until something solid showed up. My field of work requires networking, and I only realised this recently, but since I have began to go to more events and meet people in my field, more and more opportunities are showing up. Patience is something I have learned to value here in Vancouver

You can get by on a budget here easily if you look around, plenty of local green grocers that are very cheap so that can keep food costs low. But as has been pointed out you could easily burn through it if you didn't keep an eye on it. I have seen and heard of people losing the run of themselves and have to take a crap job that they get stuck in, I was determined not to get like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Well I am still not working yet, although I have some possibilities coming up.

Its not hard for work at all, if anything it is the opposite, but it really depends on what you want. You could easily get a job waiting tables, serving coffee or in a bar, but I am holding out for a job in my field, I also factored in that it would take a while to get going so I made sure I had money that would keep me a float until something solid showed up. My field of work requires networking, and I only realised this recently, but since I have began to go to more events and meet people in my field, more and more opportunities are showing up. Patience is something I have learned to value here in Vancouver

You can get by on a budget here easily if you look around, plenty of local green grocers that are very cheap so that can keep food costs low. But as has been pointed out you could easily burn through it if you didn't keep an eye on it. I have seen and heard of people losing the run of themselves and have to take a crap job that they get stuck in, I was determined not to get like that.

If you don't need sponsorship you will find work quicker here. I was job seeking here over the summer but I was limited on what I could look for because of my visa. I got a job in just over 2 months. I became permanent after getting the job, bad timing but great to get it.

It's a great city overall if you don't mind rain in the winter but being Irish, we should be used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Blimey bet its been nice and sweaty doing labouring!

Ha, haven't started yet, but I'm sure it's gonna be nice and rainy in no time and hey, it'll pay the bills!

also...

Tedfest Vancouver is on this Friday night if there's any Father Ted enthusiasts around, should be a laugh!

Shlippery wrote: »
    Tedfest Vancouver is on this Friday night if there's any Father Ted enthusiasts around, should be a laugh!

Can't wait

Jamsiek wrote: »
    If you don't need sponsorship you will find work quicker here. I was job seeking here over the summer but I was limited on what I could look for because of my visa. I got a job in just over 2 months. I became permanent after getting the job, bad timing but great to get it.

It's a great city overall if you don't mind rain in the winter but being Irish, we should be used to it.

What visa are you on?

What visa are you on?

I came over last year on the BC PNP visa as a civil engineer, I was over 35 so didn't qualify for the IEC.
    I just became permanent last month.

How about you?

• Advertisement

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I came over last year on the BC PNP visa as a civil engineer, I was over 35 so didn't qualify for the IEC.
    I just became permanent last month.

How about you?

I'm here on the 2 year, I can see myself wanting to stay on though, never thought I would.

I'm here on the 2 year, I can see myself wanting to stay on though, never thought I would.

That's good, I like it here too.
    Maybe permanent residency could be for you too.

Advertisement