Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford Transit experts...

Options
  • 11-06-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

We're still looking for the VIN stamp on our vehicle's body (an ex bus). Phoned the guy who did engineer's report (where I guess it isn't needed, unlike for the DoE roadworthy test) and he suggested taking it to a transit expert.... Taking it anywhere will be costly as we aren't insured until we can deal with all the requirements, including this....

BTW, if anyone wants to suggest places we have had a good look, there isn't a drivers door or steps (being a bus) and lots is covered in some kind of insulation or treatment, its a 2001 transit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Info from a DOE tester:

If any modifications have been made to the bus- EG--changing it to a camper van, the VIN plate may not actually have been a plate.

Depending on the builder it was more than likely a sticker.

Get your chassis number and phone Barlows Ford dealership in Cork and ask them to post you out (on headed paper and stamped if possible) the details and axle weights for the vehicle. This information is acceptable at DOE testing stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭outstation42

It has a weigh plate with the VIN on but we are told it needs something stamped directly onto the body. :confused: It still says the name of the UK Council it was a bus for so its hardly dropped out of the sky....

DOE tester says: Have a look around the emergency exit door.

He also says that the only thing thats stamped is the chassis number.

Chucken wrote: »
    DOE tester says: Have a look around the emergency exit door.

He also says that the only thing thats stamped is the chassis number.

Not sure what would be the emergency exit? It has rear doors (not easy to exit due to the wheelchair lift) and then a front door.

Right... We already found the chassis number on a plate under the bonnet. EDIT It was the engine number actually am told (I recall it was part of the VIN).

Can this DOE tester be our DOE tester please? Ours sees a lot of problems and says VIN STAMPED (not a plate) on the body is needed. We're in Dublin though...

This lad isn't in Dublin I'm afraid!
    Leave it with me until tomorrow and I'll get on to him again :)

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    This lad isn't in Dublin I'm afraid!
    Leave it with me until tomorrow and I'll get on to him again :)

Thank you :)

Any news? I hope to check the emergency exit today (its the rear, its marked as such) when we can get the wheelchair ramp off and open it (its rusted...). We're working towards getting ALL these jobs done within a few days....

I'm going to PM you!

Thank you. Still not found it (quite possibly taken out when it was made into a bus and driver's door removed). However, we now know that we can pay a Ford dealership to write a letter and that should be acceptable. It costs around 100e and we have to pay someone to drive it there (garage most likely) but at least that headache could be over! Apparently there is also the possibility that a DoE mechanic will let it though without given that it has weight plate, windscreen sticker, engine plate etc- and the name of the County Council still visible on the side!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭redcube

My vin number on my 2000 transit MK5 is stamped on the passage side door step and on a plate in the engine bay if this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement