Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

simons545 wrote: »
    Hahahaha see you both there then! All depends on the bloody HPAT results in about a week and a bit's time. The general science course in TCD looks good to be honest. Would love to do the biology,chemistry and maths options. Wbu?

Biology Chemistry Physics first choice Ill end up in Chemistry i think but who knows :P

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

Yeah, I wouldn't rely on e-xamit. Always go for the official marking scheme to be sure of yourself!

Organic chemical reactions must be the one part of the course I've never learned off. I'll get on it though, lots of time the night before/morning of to make sure it stays fresh! I don't see them repeating an experiment, but I will do every single one just to cover myself, since they are a guaranteed three questions! :)

Its pretty easy to be honest. Its usually a long question as well (9 if I'm not mistaken)Mechanisms of the Monochlorination of meth/ethane, the ionic addition reactions and knowing how to distinguish between the other ones pretty much has all bases covered! Nice question if we get it :) chemistry and biology are hopefully my A1 subjects. Really need to push for chemistry considering the biology paper they gave us...not as well as I'd hoped. What is the chemical nature of many hormones?...yeah
    sorry, rant over:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

Only 3840 mins to go before chemistry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Hahahaha see you both there then! All depends on the bloody HPAT results in about a week and a bit's time. The general science course in TCD looks good to be honest. Would love to do the biology,chemistry and maths options. Wbu?

Seriously considering Science in Trinity myself if the HPAT results don't go to plan, which is fairly inevitable tbh! I think I'd love it for the four years but I don't know what in the world I'd do after.

Pharmacy's been my second choice for ages but I just don't know anymore, do I really want to be a pharmacist? Probably not. :/ It's another case of probably enjoying the course but the job doesn't fill me with excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Only 3840 mins to go before chemistry :)

Why would you say something like that? :eek: I feel bad for watching the Million pound drop instead of studying. I still have my starting million though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

woopah92 wrote: »
    Why would you say something like that? :eek: I feel bad for watching the Million pound drop instead of studying. I still have my starting million though :D

Dont worry! You have plenty of time, 230,400 seconds to be exact :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mocker2012

Few jagerbombs before the chem exam, calm the nerves!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Currently Maths, Bio, Chem though if Physics goes well and I have a more solid idea of what I want to do by sept I'll go Chem, Phys, Maths. Only problem is, that closes a lot of doors for me, so I need to be certain before I drop bio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

mocker2012 wrote: »
    Few jagerbombs before the chem exam, calm the nerves!!!!

LOL I'd love to see my organic structures after jagerbombs haha

Slow Show wrote: »
    Seriously considering Science in Trinity myself if the HPAT results don't go to plan, which is fairly inevitable tbh! I think I'd love it for the four years but I don't know what in the world I'd do after.

Pharmacy's been my second choice for ages but I just don't know anymore, do I really want to be a pharmacist? Probably not. :/ It's another case of probably enjoying the course but the job doesn't fill me with excitement.
    I feel the same way. However, there are thousands of jobs in biochemical industry out there, especially here!
    Currently Maths, Bio, Chem though if Physics goes well and I have a more solid idea of what I want to do by sept I'll go Chem, Phys, Maths. Only problem is, that closes a lot of doors for me, so I need to be certain before I drop bio!
    I really hate physics now...pulling my hair out over how the exam is going to be. Not one for panic really, its more frustration at how bad my class was in hindsight. My teacher never had a chance...and unfortunately there was only one. I apparently have an aptitude for physics and maths but because I now missed the basics, I have to go over everything from lenses onwards again, especially the experiments. Such a shame...

• Advertisement

LOL I'd love to see my organic structures after jagerbombs haha

I know what I'd be seeing anyway...C2H5OH 20% w/v lol

One time when my friend and I were drunk we started doing stoichiometry. We managed to work out the number of moles and then molecules of ethanol in a typical shot of tequila or something, going on values we'd googled and the calculators on our phones. I lead a sad life. :P

One time when my friend and I were drunk we started doing stoichiometry. We managed to work out the number of moles and then molecules of ethanol in a typical shot of tequila or something, going on values we'd googled and the calculators on our phones. I lead a sad life. :P

It seems the feeling is mutual..."our lives begin after the exams"or so they say... what did it turn out as? hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

The amount of medabees in here, its like a 2nd home for the Everything Med and HPAT-ers :pac:

It seems the feeling is mutual..."our lives begin after the exams"or so they say... what did it turn out as? hahaha

Couldn't tell you tbh, it was months ago, but we did it out again the next morning to see if we were right for the craic and got the same answer again! So maybe I should see the chem exam drunk! :D

The amount of medabees in here, its like a 2nd home for the Everything Med and HPAT-ers :pac:

I know! we're all in this together!
    This is why coming on here makes you feel stupid! :P hahaha
    we forgot about all the lay people (non boardies)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mocker2012

Ah yes, the chemistry behind getting hammered combined with the accounting logistics of budgeting drink is never a bad thing, it just gets progressively harder the more you drink!!:P

Couldn't tell you tbh, it was months ago, but we did it out again the next morning to see if we were right for the craic and got the same answer again! So maybe I should see the chem exam drunk! :D

hmmmm...idea haha
    I'm just gonna go attempt to learn these bloody electrolysis experiments...
    There's only 5 isn't there?
    -Electrolysis of acidified water using inert electrodes
    -Electrolysis of sodium sulfate using inert electrodes and universal indicator
    -Electrolysis of aqueous potassium iodide using inert electrodes and Phenolphthalein indicator (That's really hard to spell)
    -Electrolysis of copper sulfate using copper electrodes (Someone was asking about that earlier actually, the displacement in the electrochemical series)
    -Electroplating of a copper coin with silver

Any more?:D

-I really can't wait till wednesday...

hmmmm...idea haha
    I'm just gonna go attempt to learn these bloody electrolysis experiments...
    There's only 5 isn't there?
    -Electrolysis of acidified water using inert electrodes
    -Electrolysis of sodium sulfate using inert electrodes and universal indicator
    -Electrolysis of aqueous potassium iodide using inert electrodes and Phenolphthalein indicator (That's really hard to spell)
    -Electrolysis of copper sulfate using copper electrodes (Someone was asking about that earlier actually, the displacement in the electrochemical series)
    -Electroplating of a copper coin with silver

Any more?:D

-I really can't wait till wednesday...

Oh yeah, those.. Feck =P

Oh yeah, those.. Feck =P

I wouldnt bother with them really theyre only a small section and tbh theyre so easy do them tuesday morning

• Advertisement

I wouldnt bother with them really theyre only a small section and tbh theyre so easy do them tuesday morning
    :)
    That sounds like a plan

Acids/bases/pH/Indicators/Water.................DONE
    chemical Equilibrium...................................DONE
    fuels and therm........................................DONE
    Radioactivity............................................DONE

now to perfect my Experiments... I am way way behind aren't I? :/

Acids/bases/pH/Indicators/Water.................DONE
    chemical Equilibrium...................................DONE
    fuels and therm........................................DONE
    Radioactivity............................................DONE

now to perfect my Experiments... I am way way behind aren't I? :/

no get off boards and keep going!
    P.S. sorry ill skype you about the ionisation energies now so sorry!

just found this website, seems to be comprehensive topic wise. Have a look :)
    http://leavingcertmindmaps.ie/leaving-cert-chemistry-mind-maps/

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Those electrolysis experiments and the whole chapter in general are horrible. My teacher literally spent a 40 minute class on the whole chapter and just read the experiments, and this was the day right before the mocks were beginning. We never went over it again! I'm just going to leave it all out, maybe I'll just learn the basic definitions in it.

Also, I think I'm the only person here who wants to do nothing with science in college. I'm glad my two years with it is up, finally! :P

ray2012 wrote: »
    Those electrolysis experiments and the whole chapter in general are horrible. My teacher literally spent a 40 minute class on the whole chapter and just read the experiments, and this was the day right before the mocks were beginning. We never went over it again! I'm just going to leave it all out, maybe I'll just learn the basic definitions in it.

Also, I think I'm the only person here who wants to do nothing with science in college. I'm glad my two years with it is up, finally! :P

youre safe to leave it out it rarely comes up and when it does it worth nothing

youre safe to leave it out it rarely comes up and when it does it worth nothing

Out teacher predicts them for one of the half questions this year!

So did ours, actually! It'll probably come up in one of those later, bitty questions. Which are really nice, easy questions if you have a broad knowledge of the course. :)

Out teacher predicts them for one of the half questions this year!

"one of the half questions" which means you are still safe leaving it out

• Advertisement

Yep, it's perfectly safe to leave them out, imo. But if you're planning on tackling the latter questions they'd be nice to have. :)

Advertisement