Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

Yep, it's perfectly safe to leave them out, imo. But if you're planning on tackling the latter questions they'd be nice to have. :)

At this stage though youre safer to leave them out and fix your other mistakes in experiments and elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

It's a simple chapter. I would spend half an hour revising it. The experiments are just a little... ehh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

"one of the half questions" which means you are still safe leaving it out

Of course. Depending on what questions you are going to do. I have to answer one of the half questions and we don't do enviromental or industrial so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Acids/bases/pH/Indicators/Water.................DONE
    chemical Equilibrium...................................DONE
    fuels and therm........................................DONE
    Radioactivity............................................DONE

now to perfect my Experiments... I am way way behind aren't I? :/

Well I have about 4 chapters done, so no, you're not way way behind :P

Well I have about 4 chapters done, so no, you're not way way behind :P

CookieMonster, you always make me smile!! :D Let's hope we're in the same Med School!
    P.S someone in my school was pretending to be you!! :P hahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

CookieMonster, you always make me smile!! :D Let's hope we're in the same Med School!

I did about four too: acids and bases, equilibrium, water and organic experiments :)

meleanor wrote: »
    I did about four too: acids and bases, equilibrium, water and organic experiments :)

45% right there! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Glad I can be of some assistance :p just remember, when you feel like you've nothing done, think of me and you'll feel so much better :P
    Haha that's a but weird, no? Well I'm flattered anyway :L
    I have some of the atom chapters, acids & bases and the organic reactions. Organic reactions took it out of me! :P

Glad I can be of some assistance :p just remember, when you feel like you've nothing done, think of me and you'll feel so much better :P
    Haha that's a but weird, no? Well I'm flattered anyway :L
    I have some of the atom chapters, acids & bases and the organic reactions. Organic reactions took it out of me! :P

Hahaha oh i'd say vice versa! :P
    Haha yeah a bit! :P hehe.
    Oh that's a lot in that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm leaving out electrochemistry as we never did it and it just looks confusing to learn on your own. It probably isn't all that bad but nothing ever sticks as much as when it's drilled into you by your teacher, I find. Didn't do the option either so if electrochemistry comes up (looks likely tbf), q11 will be ruled out for me but sure 8/10 is still an OK choice I suppose. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

Slow Show wrote: »
    I'm leaving out electrochemistry as we never did it and it just looks confusing to learn on your own. It probably isn't all that bad but nothing ever sticks as much as when it's drilled into you by your teacher, I find. Didn't do the option either so if electrochemistry comes up (looks likely tbf), q11 will be ruled out for me but sure 8/10 is still an OK choice I suppose. :P

If you do biology you will be ok with the nitrogen cycle option and greenhouse gases. It's common sense. But I doubt it will come up this year

To join the conversation about college Pharmacy in TCD is my first choice followed by Veterinary Medicine in Ucd.

I haven't started Chemistry yet but it's my favourite subject so I'm just hoping it's a nice paper. Let's hope for a nice q3 because I plan on leaving out q2 unless it's ethene or ethyne (unlikely I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

To join the conversation about college Pharmacy in TCD is my first choice followed by Veterinary Medicine in Ucd.

I haven't started Chemistry yet but it's my favourite subject so I'm just hoping it's a nice paper. Let's hope for a nice q3 because I plan on leaving out q2 unless it's ethene or ethyne (unlikely I know)

Ethene seems to have come up loads...unlikely it will this year. You never know though, could see it in the organic reactions question. Have a look through the paper to see what I mean
    -might see you there then :)

simons545 wrote: »
    Ethene seems to have come up loads...unlikely it will this year. You never know though, could see it in the organic reactions question. Have a look through the paper to see what I mean

In Pharmacy? With some luck :)
    Yeah I know which is a shame cause I know it perfectly! I know what you mean, one year it came up in 10 or 11 wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

23 pages in and there's still two days until the exam? Chemistry has some passionate students.

I'm fairly screwed in that I've only revised chapters 2-4 so far but I'm only looking for a pass so I'll just quickly look over everything over the next few days and hope for the best.

23 pages in and there's still two days until the exam? Chemistry has some passionate students.

I'm fairly screwed in that I've only revised chapters 2-4 so far but I'm only looking for a pass so I'll just quickly look over everything over the next few days and hope for the best.

There's loads of people in my class just looking for a pass and I said just know the experiments and fuels and heats of reactions and that's 4/8 questions which if you know them really well is 50%. Then attempt q4 and q5 from memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

There's loads of people in my class just looking for a pass and I said just know the experiments and fuels and heats of reactions and that's 4/8 questions which if you know them really well is 50%. Then attempt q4 and q5 from memory.

Thanks for the advice, I need to get into those experiments later today. I'm hoping for a rates and reactions experiment since those things are easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Thanks for the advice, I need to get into those experiments later today. I'm hoping for a rates and reactions experiment since those things are easy.

There's still time to look over the whole course. At this stage, the most effective way of studying is to have the marking schemes of all papers in front of you (I have them all in a folder on my phone) and flick through the papers, verbally answer questions and if you're not sure on a few then check the scheme. You'll soon realize how repetitive the course is.

SecondMan wrote: »
    There's still time to look over the whole course. At this stage, the most effective way of studying is to have the marking schemes of all papers in front of you (I have them all in a folder on my phone) and flick through the papers, verbally answer questions and if you're not sure on a few then check the scheme. You'll soon realize how repetitive the course is.

Oh definitely! I'm not saying that there's not enough time. Just with the people in my class (not sure about anyone here) they just don't understand Chemistry! Even if they had marking schemes they aren't able to know what they're actually writing. One of them got 9% in the mock after spending 3 hours in the exam.
    So if you're in that situation focus on the chapters you understand! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

Stop go revise all experiments! first get them nailed then do organic chem, then oxidation-reduction, then acids and bases dont do the history of the atom wastemof time 1 q!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

simons545 wrote: »

Was it not ethene that came up last year? Can't see it coming up 2 years in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

ray2012 wrote: »
    Was it not ethene that came up last year? Can't see it coming up 2 years in a row

it can come up in other sections though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    it can come up in other sections though :)

Ah feck it, I have enough experiments to be studying I'll probably just leave it out. May spend 5 minutes at it to know the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

If it comes up in another section they'll probably only ask you for a diagram or something, so know that. If you know the diagram, you pretty much know the experiment anyway, for ethene at least.

If they bring up the ethene experiment in the organic question I imagine it'd be something like ethanol and ethene in a reaction scheme asking what reagent and conditions are needed to get from ethanol to ethene. Aluminium sulfate and heat! And that's all, hopefully. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

Do we have to learn all the equations from the experiment on equilibrium?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Do we have to learn all the equations from the experiment on equilibrium?

I've seen them ask you to write them down in mock papers, but never in the real thing... Could be a good idea just to cover yourself, since equilibrium IS a lovely section

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Slow Show wrote: »
    If they bring up the ethene experiment in the organic question I imagine it'd be something like ethanol and ethene in a reaction scheme asking what reagent and conditions are needed to get from ethanol to ethene. Aluminium sulfate and heat! And that's all, hopefully. :)

Aluminium sulphate is a flocculating agent and is also used in tertiary sewage treatment for precipitating out phosphates.
    Aluminium oxide is what you were thinking of!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

comeclosa wrote: »
    I've seen them ask you to write them down in mock papers, but never in the real thing... Could be a good idea just to cover yourself, since equilibrium IS a lovely section

I know I would love if a whole question came up on it :)

• Advertisement

woopah92 wrote: »
    Aluminium sulphate is a flocculating agent and is also used in tertiary sewage treatment for precipitating out phosphates.
    Aluminium oxide is what you were thinking of!

That is indeed what I was thinking of. :p

Advertisement