Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

yeah I will. I didn't use them here cause its hard to type them.

And the products your talking about are from a different mechanism. Your talking about the bromination of ethene.

I'm talking about cholrination of methane :)

well. Damn. I go sounding like a smart ass and I get my **** mixed up. Sorry haha. I always get those two mixed up!
    Initiation, propogation, termination... Think I'll go over that tomorrow haha

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

woopah92 wrote: »
    To whoever said the need to label the questions better, I agree 10000000%. I got 89% in the mock and I forgot to put in a definition that would have given me an extra 5 marks and 90% all because I didn't see that part of the question. My fault I know, I'm going to triple check all the questions on Tues. :pac:

Argh they can be so sneaky! They give you a long definition, which as LC students we are inclined to ignore since we get them in maths, etc all the time, then you notice during corrections that theres a little question tagged on at the end and marks are lost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

Argh they can be so sneaky! They give you a long definition, which as LC students we are inclined to ignore since we get them in maths, etc all the time, then you notice during corrections that theres a little question tagged on at the end and marks are lost :(

A highlighter can be your best friend during a chemistry exam :P

But seriously, how difficult is it to put the questions as Q.6 (a) (i) (ii) etc. like they do in Biology? I don't see why it's so difficult?

Its actually 1-bromo 2-chloroethane, I like to remember that they are in alphabetical order! And yeah its 1,2 dichloroethane

it doesn't really matter for the first which way you put it I think, they give marks for both in the marking scheme. Also,thank you :)

• Advertisement

But seriously, how difficult is it to put the questions as Q.6 (a) (i) (ii) etc. like they do in Biology? I don't see why it's so difficult?

*hallelujah* Oh, wait, what country do we live in again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Question about ethanal:
    Ethanal can be prepared from Ethyne. Outline How. What term is used to describe this reaction.
    Ethanal reacts with 2,4 dinitrophenylhydrazine to give solid and H2o. How can the solid be purified and how can the purity be tested? Give Name and structural formula of solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

One of the mocks this year was ridiculous for the question numbering, good god. It wasn't the one I actually did but we did it in class, Examcraft I think? Like they'd ask an (a) part and 4 number-free questions later you'd hit (b). The real thing doesn't tend to be quite as bad but still, sneaky enough.

Slow Show wrote: »
    One of the mocks this year was ridiculous for the question numbering, good god. It wasn't the one I actually did but we did it in class, Examcraft I think? Like they'd ask an (a) part and 4 number-free questions later you'd hit (b). The real thing doesn't tend to be quite as bad but still, sneaky enough.

Not only that but the markers were terrible. I think someone mentioned it already but mine was marked wrong when I had word-for-word answers from the marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Question about ethanal:
    Ethanal can be prepared from Ethyne. Outline How. What term is used to describe this reaction.
    Ethanal reacts with 2,4 dinitrophenylhydrazine to give solid and H2o. How can the solid be purified and how can the purity be tested? Give Name and structural formula of solid.

C2H2 CH3CHO

So the difference is H20

So, you need to hydrate ethyne to make ethanol.

How do you do it? I'm not actually sure. Addition reactions have a change in structure from planar to tetrahedral which this doesn't. I'm going to say this is a ridiculous mock question that you'd never be asked..

For the second part of the q, see above. :pac:

• Advertisement

0mega wrote: »
    C2H2 CH3CHO

So the difference is H20

How do you do it? I'm not actually sure. Addition reactions have a change in structure from planar to tetrahedral which this doesn't. I'm going to say this is a ridiculous mock question that you'd never be asked..

It's actually the 1996 question. :P Oh God we have all papers/mocks back to 75. I think they are more annoying than anything :(

Question about ethanal:

Dude, seriously! Don't go freaking me out with **** that's not on our course haha
    Ethyne = C2H2
    Ethanal = C2H3CHO
    It's an addition-substitution reaction. You hydrogenate it, then replace the H with a carbonyl group. 2,4 dinitrophenylhydrazine (+methanol and sulphuric acid) is brady's reagent, which is just another test for an aldehyde.
    The only reference to ethyne on our course is in the preparation of it with
    CaC2 (Calcium Dicarbide) and then bubbling it through acidified copper sulfate to remove impurities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 beirtie

well guys, was wondering if I could have your opinion on studying...

do you think its better at this stage to just do exam papers? or plough through the book like I did today,but it took an eternity to get to page 60... :L

Or even briefly look over the chapter then try and do the exam papers?

simons545 wrote: »
    Dude, seriously! Don't go freaking me out with **** that's not on our course haha
    Ethyne = C2H2
    Ethanal = C2H3CHO
    It's an addition-substitution reaction. You hydrogenate it, then replace the H with a carbonyl group. 2,4 dinitrophenylhydrazine (+methanol and sulphuric acid) is brady's reagent, which is just another test for an aldehyde.
    The only reference to ethyne on our course is in the preparation of it with
    CaC2 (Calcium Dicarbide) and then bubbling it through acidified copper sulfate to remove impurities.

Oh that's okay so. As long as it's not on the course! :P Back then this was question 3

0mega wrote: »
    C2H2 CH3CHO

So the difference is H20

Its a carbonyl group in the aldehydes :) no double bond in water unfortunately. Thank God that's not on our course anymore...

Oh that's okay so. As long as it's not on the course! :P Back then this was question 3

I know yeah haha nasty stuff, I asked the same question to my 24 year old chemistry teacher and she was scratchin' her head like "ehhh, that's not on the course anymore" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

The stress is getting to me. I can't remember whether we use deionised water or distilled water in the experiments :confused:

beirtie wrote: »
    well guys, was wondering if I could have your opinion on studying...

do you think its better at this stage to just do exam papers? or plough through the book like I did today,but it took an eternity to get to page 60... :L

Or even briefly look over the chapter then try and do the exam papers?

I'd say your best bet is to go over the exam papers and look through the marking schemes. If you have completed the course then doing all the questions from like the last 5 years would be best, in my opinion.

The stress is getting to me. I can't remember whether we use deionised water or distilled water in the experiments :confused:

deionised is best =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 beirtie

cheers thanks Simon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

simons545 wrote: »
    deionised is best =)

You use deionised because its cheaper DISTILLED IS THE BEST!
    Deionised means all ions are removed but there may still be other disolved gases etc....
    Distilled H20 is by far the best as this is nothing but pure H20!

You use deionised because its cheaper DISTILLED IS THE BEST!
    Deionised means all ions are removed but there may still be other disolved gases etc....
    Distilled H20 is by far the best as this is nothing but pure H20!
    Yeah haha most teachers couldn't be arsed to be honest. My teacher just used regular tap water when we did our experiments.

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a rhyme thing fr the electrode potential series and the flames tests?
    Electrode potential series? You mean the electrochemistry reactivity series? If so:
    Pretty
    Caroline
    Should
    Marry
    A
    Zulu
    In
    Lovely
    Honolulu
    Causing
    Many
    Strange
    Gazes

And for flame tests, no but i have anion short stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

Question on bonding.
    I can never figure out whether a molecule is polar or non polar when I draw out the shape. My teacher says to see of it has a positive and negative end but I dunno I just can't seem to grasp it. I know to use the EN values too but yano sometimes they arent right, Anyone care to help? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Post it please? :P Anything that can help me remember those tests for anions would be good!

Please enlighten me ! :) thanks ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Question on bonding.
    I can never figure out whether a molecule is polar or non polar when I draw out the shape. My teacher says to see of it has a positive and negative end but I dunno I just can't seem to grasp it. I know to use the EN values too but yano sometimes they arent right, Anyone care to help? :)

Take the EN values of the atoms in the molecule and figure out the difference between them.
    <0.4 = negligible polarity.
    0.4-1.7 = polar.
    1.7< = ionic bonding.

That help at all? :)

ray2012 wrote: »
    Post it please? :P Anything that can help me remember those tests for anions would be good!

Ok they're kinda silly but hey they help!

Chloride ion:
    -Princess chloride was trapped in an aqueous solution...
    -Then alone came the silver knight (silver nitrate)
    -They tried getting away on his white horse percipitate...
    -But the evil queen dilute ammonia comes along and dissolves percipitate! And they all dissappear...

Sulfate and Sulfite:
    -Twin brothers sulfate and sulfite were out walking in the woods when they saw...
    -A bear (barium chloride!)
    -Both brothers get so scared they "poop" themselves (white percipitate)
    -How ever Sulfite remembers the hydrogen courage liquid in his pocket (HCl)
    -They both drink some, sulfite gains the courage to run like the wind and disappears...(percipitate goes)
    -However his poor brother faints and his white corpse lays there forever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Ok they're kinda silly but hey they help!

Chloride ion:
    -Princess chloride was trapped in an aqueous solution...
    -Then alone came the silver knight (silver nitrate)
    -They tried getting away on his white horse percipitate...
    -But the evil queen dilute ammonia comes along and dissolves percipitate! And they all dissappear...

Sulfate and Sulfite:
    -Twin brothers sulfate and sulfite were out walking in the woods when they saw...
    -A bear (barium chloride!)
    -Both brothers get so scared they "poop" themselves (white percipitate)
    -How ever Sulfite remembers the hydrogen courage liquid in his pocket (HCl)
    -They both drink some, sulfite gains the courage to run like the wind and disappears...(percipitate goes)
    -However his poor brother faints and his white corpse lays there forever :(

Lol , great way to remember them .
    I just learned them normally though :P

• Advertisement

meleanor wrote: »
    Take the EN values of the atoms in the molecule and figure out the difference between them.
    <0.4 = negligible polarity.
    0.4-1.7 = polar.
    1.7< = ionic bonding.

That help at all? :)
    I know that bit but yano sometimes when ya do that it doesn't always tell if it's polar or non polar until you draw it out? If you get what im saying :)

Advertisement