Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Lol , great way to remember them .
    I just learned them normally though :P

Most I learn normally but its mire fun this way :P

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    I know that bit but yano sometimes when ya do that it doesn't always tell if it's polar or non polar until you draw it out? If you get what im saying :)

When you draw it out...
    -If its linear it will always be polar...however...
    Sometimes in planar molecules the positives and negatives cancel each other out if you draw a line connecting them out through the centre and they all meet, then its non polar as they cancel eachother out!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

When you draw it out...
    -If its linear it will always be polar...however...
    Sometimes in planar molecules the positives and negatives cancel each other out if you draw a line connecting them out through the centre and they all meet, then its non polar as they cancel eachother out!

So could you say that all linear, v shaped and pyramidal molecules are polar and that the others are non polar?

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    So could you say that all linear, v shaped and pyramidal molecules are polar and that the others are non polar?

i suppose...any body care to disagree? havent revised this yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Do you know them short questions where it asks the shapes of the molecules?
    What the best way to learn these?? :) I never know the answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Not all linear molecules are polar molecules! Beryllium chloride and CO2 are linear but not polar!!!

Do you know them short questions where it asks the shapes of the molecules?
    What the best way to learn these?? :) I never know the answer

Ok my trick:
    Learn off the shapes of
    H20-Vshaped
    NH3-Pyramidal
    Co2-Linear

Ok then on the day of the exam use a log table and periodic table...to see if your elements and numbers match any of the above...
    For example...
    H2S (idk if thats right or whatever just for the sake of an example!)
    Now my h2 is like h2o.....and s is directly below oxygen therefore it has the same valency so H2S must be v shaped too!

woopah92 wrote: »
    Not all linear molecules are polar molecules! Beryllium chloride and CO2 are linear but not polar!!!

Ok so explain it to her...I havent revised it yet...physics :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Nothing's to say linear molecules can't be non-polar, take CO2 for example, the centre of positive and negative charge will be on the Carbon atom so they cancel out, thus it's non-polar.

I don't really know of how to simplify it, I just draw them out. :/ V-shaped will be polar, as will pyramidal (I think), tetrahedral the charges will overlap generally, planar triangular will overlap if all of the atoms attached to the central atom are the same.

Ok so explain it to her...I havent revised it yet...physics :P

There is a reason teaching is NOT anywhere near my CAO. I couldn't even teach my dog to sit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

Slow Show wrote: »
    Nothing's to say linear molecules can't be non-polar, take CO2 for example, the centre of positive and negative charge will be on the Carbon atom so they cancel out, thus it's non-polar.

I don't really know of how to simplify it, I just draw them out. :/ V-shaped will be non-polar, as will pyramidal (I think), tetrahedral the charges will overlap generally, planar triangular will overlap if all of the atoms attached to the central atom are the same.

Ok thanks I think I get it now :) cheers fellow chemistry students! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Ok my trick:
    Learn off the shapes of
    H20-Vshaped
    NH3-Pyramidal
    Co2-Linear

Ok then on the day of the exam use a log table and periodic table...to see if your elements and numbers match any of the above...
    For example...
    H2S (idk if thats right or whatever just for the sake of an example!)
    Now my h2 is like h2o.....and s is directly below oxygen therefore it has the same valency so H2S must be v shaped too!
    But what about when it has two possible shapes?

I don't really know of how to simplify it, I just draw them out. :/ V-shaped will be non-polar, as will pyramidal (I think), tetrahedral the charges will overlap generally, planar triangular will overlap if all of the atoms attached to the central atom are the same.

V-shaped will ALWAYS be polar.
    Pyramidal will also be polar.
    Tetrahedral will be non-polar.
    Triangular planar will be non-polar.

But what about when it has two possible shapes?

Well just learn this at this stage - AB2, think about it, one atom in the centre with two atoms bonded to it, it can only be linear or v-shaped.

If they asked a shape with formula AB3, a central atom with three atoms bonded to it, think about what you've learned, that can only be planar triangular or pyramidal. Think about examples in your head eg v-shaped H20, linear CO2, planar triangular BF3, pyramidal NH3.

AB4 would be tetrahedral which is the only possibility.

woopah92 wrote: »
    Tetrahedral will be non-polar.
    Triangular planar will be non-polar.

That's true in LC Chemistry terms, however in the wide world of Chemistry I'm fairly certain this won't always be the case which is why I didn't say always. :p But yes for anyone not sure in terms of the exam, learn what this guy said!

Also I meant to say polar for v-shaped/pyramidal, that was a typo. :p

That's true in LC Chemistry terms, however in the wide world of Chemistry I'm fairly certain this won't always be the case which is why I didn't say always. :p But yes for anyone not sure in terms of the exam, learn what this guy said!

As you can see, that's why I didn't say always for those either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nl90

Am I the only pesron who feel lost ?

I read your posts about polar and shapes and completey felt my studying was a waste of time

For me I would calculate the electronegativity of the compound and determine if it's polar or not

For shapes

I listed all of them in a Paper

2 atoms = linear

3 atoms :

A) linear if they don't have lone pairs
    B) V- shaped if they do

4atoms :

A) triangular planar (no lone pairs)
    B) pyramidal (lone pairs)

5atoms: tetrahedral

:D Please tell me this works right with every thing! (* I might mixed some of them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

Does anybody think the crystalisation exp will come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Dropping to OL chem was the best decision I ever made. Love the subject but just couldnt get to grips with it. OL papers a doddle 9 times outta 10 so heres hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 standup

Really scared for this exam! I need at least an A2 and the strict marking scheme adds so much more pressure! and to make it worse I've lost out on two days study because I was in hospital!! Was so close to discharging myself!! Can anyone help me with what i should focus on? I've done all the titrations that can come up on Question 1 and the organic practicals.. I know organic chemistry and atomic theory really well..

What else is crucial to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

eoinoc2509 wrote: »

I really think it could :cool:
    Or the polystyrene cup thermochemistry one.
    Question two will defo be ethanal/ethanoic acid.

standup wrote: »
    Really scared for this exam! I need at least an A2 and the strict marking scheme adds so much more pressure! and to make it worse I've lost out on two days study because I was in hospital!! Was so close to discharging myself!! Can anyone help me with what i should focus on? I've done all the titrations that can come up on Question 1 and the organic practicals.. I know organic chemistry and atomic theory really well..

At this point go for the ones that always come up: equilibrium, option A/B question 11, atomic theory/ionization energies. Know your experiments by heart :)

standup wrote: »

Ok first calm!
    First cover the following experiments:
    BOD of water
    Iron tablets
    Bleach
    Ethanoic acid % vinegar

Ethanal
    Ethanoic acid (production of)

The decomposition of H202 BY MnO2
    NaOH and HCl heat of reaction
    affect of temp on rate of rxn

then study:
    Organic chemistry
    Oxidation reduction
    Acids and bases
    Equilibrium

That should cover you

eoinoc2509 wrote: »

No.

Good luck to any physics-heads out there today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

D'you know, I think the organic question will be both ethanal AND ethanoic acid, like they did with ethene and ethyne 2 years ago. Just sayin'.

I think I'll cry if a full question on water doesn't come up. This is the first exam I'm actually panicking a bit for, knowing the marking scheme will be a curse :(

Neither bleech nor crystallisation will come up. "Hopefully"

Do any one know what are the 3 Isomers of butanal?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Nl90 wrote: »

We were tipped crystallisation and winkler for titration

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    We were tipped crystallisation and winkler for titration

Crystallisation came up last year right!
    Do you think they will bring it again?

I would expect saponification more than anything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Nl90 wrote: »

2-methylpropanal - CH3CH(CH3)HC=O
    2-butanone - CH3C=OC2H5

Can't think of a third one :confused:

Advertisement