Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mocker2012

Oh stop, there's so many beautiful possibilities that won't happen :(

Found a list of good finicky questions and answers, I'll post it later. You never know, it might save 6 marks :P

Post it now please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Quiz time again!

1. What is dative covalent bonding?
    A bond formed where the two shared electrons come from one atom, e.g. in the hydronium ion H3O+

2. What is the difference between heat of combustion and heat of reaction?
    Heat of reaction is measured in KJ, heat of combustion is measured in KJ/mol

3. Name the product formed when ethanol reacts with sodium.
    sodium ethoxide

4. Give an example of a reaction with an autocatalyst.
    Reaction of KMnO4 with Fe2+ and dilute H2SO4, autocatalyst is Mn2+

5. Why does the pH of pure water change at different temperatures?
    pH is measured at 25 degrees Celsius, does not give true reading outside these values

6. What is the catalyst used in the Haber process?
    Iron (Fe)

7. In equilibrium calculations, when does the volume of the container not matter?
    When there are the same number of moles of gas on either side of the equation

8. What unit is ionisation energy measured in?
    KJ/mol

9. In KMnO4 titrations, (i) why do you need to add sulphuric acid? (ii) What do you observe when you don't?
    (i) Brown colour due to MnO2 (ii) without the acid KMnO4 does not work at full oxidising power

10. Why do aldehydes and ketones have higher boiling points than corresponding alkanes?
    There are dipole-dipole forces present in aldehydes and ketones not present in alkanes

11. Give an example of a flocculating agent.
    Aluminium sulphate

This one has me snookered. Can anyone explain? 12. Why is ethanal more soluble in water than its corresponding alkane ethane? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

This one has me snookered. Can anyone explain? 12. Why is ethanal more soluble in water than its corresponding alkane ethane? :confused:

Ethanal's carbonyl group (polar) forms hydrogen bonds in water and like all lower aldehydes, ethanal is soluble in water. Ethene is not :) only temporary dipole.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Would it be that hydrogen bonds form between the H and O of CHO in ethanal and the H and O in water? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

Quiz time again!

1. What is dative covalent bonding?
    A bond formed where the two shared electrons come from one atom, e.g. in the hydronium ion H3O+

2. What is the difference between heat of combustion and heat of reaction?
    Heat of reaction is measured in KJ, heat of combustion is measured in KJ/mol

3. Name the product formed when ethanol reacts with sodium.
    sodium ethoxide

4. Give an example of a reaction with an autocatalyst.
    Reaction of KMnO4 with Fe2+ and dilute H2SO4, autocatalyst is Mn2+

5. Why does the pH of pure water change at different temperatures?
    pH is measured at 25 degrees Celsius, does not give true reading outside these values

6. What is the catalyst used in the Haber process?
    Iron (Fe)

7. In equilibrium calculations, when does the volume of the container not matter?
    When there are the same number of moles of gas on either side of the equation

8. What unit is ionisation energy measured in?
    KJ/mol

9. In KMnO4 titrations, (i) why do you need to add sulphuric acid? (ii) What do you observe when you don't?
    (i) Brown colour due to MnO2 (ii) without the acid KMnO4 does not work at full oxidising power

10. Why do aldehydes and ketones have higher boiling points than corresponding alkanes?
    There are dipole-dipole forces present in aldehydes and ketones not present in alkanes

11. Give an example of a flocculating agent.
    Aluminium sulphate

12 - ethanal contains the polar c=o bond and since water is polar it dissolves better in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

^ Thank you! :D It said "hydrogen bonds" next to it as an answer, I just didn't know where they came in :P Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Anyone else hoping there will be a 'Breaking Bad' bonus question?? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Doing a pre heat of reaction experiment calculation and cannot get the require -57 approx
    Here's the question:
    25 cm^3 of 1M HCL and 1M NaOH were mixed. Temp rise= 6.8k. density = 1g/cm^3 SHC = 4.2KG^-1 K^-1
    calculate heat of rxn

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nl90

Doing a pre heat of reaction experiment calculation and cannot get the require -57 approx
    Here's the question:
    25 cm^3 of 1M HCL and 1M NaOH were mixed. Temp rise= 6.8k. density = 1g/cm^3 SHC = 4.2KG^-1 K^-1
    calculate heat of rxn

What is this? I've never studied such a thing :/ !

I need a solution for 2000 exam , anyone know where I can find it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Here's the question:
    calculate heat of rxn

Haha 2011 examcraft? Was doing that one earlier :P
    Use your t2-t1 x m x c
    t2-t1=6.8
    m=0.05 (this is 50cm^3 converted to L by multiplying by 10^-3)
    and c is given as 4.2
    So when you multiply all them out you should get 1.428kJ
    Then get the number of moles by multiplying 25x1 divided by 1000
    This gives you 0.025 and this liberates 1.428 so 1.428 divided by 0.025 equals the heat liberated by 1 mole.
    Do you have the marking scheme for that paper because I can send it on if you don't? :)

• Advertisement

Nl90 wrote: »

You are joking? This is more than likely what our question 3 will be! :P

Here's the question:
    calculate heat of rxn

I'm getting 1.428 Kj
    Is SHC in joules or kilojoules? SHC unit= J/kg/K
    and are you sure the density is 1?
    I take that back haha

Nl90 wrote: »

Its ok, just make sure to learn the calculations and there isn't much theory. The calculations are straight foward enough but get learning! :P

simons545 wrote: »
    I'm getting 1.428 Kj
    Is SHC in joules or kilojoules? SHC unit= J/kg/K
    and are you sure the density is 1?

You haven't completed the calculation

Use your t2-t1 x m x c
    t2-t1=6.8
    and c is given as 4.2
    This gives you 0.025 and this liberates 1.428 so 1.428 divided by 0.025 equals the heat liberated by 1 mole.
    Do you have the marking scheme for that paper because I can send it on if you don't? :)

Oh Okay thanks! Remind me again why you covert to litres? :)
    haha yeah I presume it's that paper. We just have a handout: "No.3 Questions" With all mocks/reals papers back to 75 so I actually don't know haha. Em No I don't have a solution but I only have the one questions so It's OK but thanks a million! :D

Use your t2-t1 x m x c
    t2-t1=6.8
    and c is given as 4.2
    mass needs to be in Kg btw, that's why they give you the density. It would be different if the density was a different number like 2. Then the mass would be 100g (0.1Kg)
    Density=(mass)/(volume)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 _Talia

ok what is this black magic I can't do those calculations at all

Oh Okay thanks! Remind me again why you covert to litres? :)
    haha yeah I presume it's that paper. We just have a handout: "No.3 Questions" With all mocks/reals papers back to 75 so I actually don't know haha. Em No I don't have a solution but I only have the one questions so It's OK but thanks a million! :D

Sorry I meant kg! But you still multiply by 10^-3 anyway and its just the unit of the question. Its kind of like the ideal gas law where P must be in pascals, the volume must be in m3, same idea! And no problem :D

mass needs to be in Kg btw, that's why they give you the density. It would be different if the density was a different number like 2. Then the mass would be 100g (0.1Kg)
    Density=(mass)/(volume)

Yep I know, same calculation though I just got mixed up for a second

Use your t2-t1 x m x c
    t2-t1=6.8
    and c is given as 4.2
    Sorry I meant kg! But you still multiply by 10^-3 anyway and its just the unit of the question. Its kind of like the ideal gas law where P must be in pascals, the volume must be in m3, same idea! And no problem :D
    Ah yeah, but I'm saying if they gave you a different value for the density, the answer would be different, just to be aware at all times in the future :)

• Advertisement

Okay so does temperature need to be in K????

Ah yeah, but I'm saying if they gave you a different value for the density, the answer would be different, just to be aware at all times in the future :)

Ohhh I know what you're saying now, thanks for reminding me. Hopefully they will keep to the 1 tomorrow in the like 90% chance that this will come up!

Okay so does temperature need to be in K????

well technically, yes, but 1'C = 1K they just start in different places. So if they give you the heat change, then no because (20-10)'C is still equal to (293-283)'K :)

Okay I'm so sorry but this next one wont work out either! :(
    Here's the question:
    so you have 1M 50cm cubed of HCL
    temp rise= 6.5
    SHC= 4.06kj kg^-1
    Density = 1
    Calculate (i) Heat released
    (ii) Heat of reaction

I'm getting 26.39 for some reason! :(

Ohhh I know what you're saying now, thanks for reminding me. Hopefully they will keep to the 1 tomorrow in the like 90% chance that this will come up!

Sorry, its very difficult not to sound patronising when talking online with no intonation, didn't mean to sound rude:)

Sorry, its very difficult not to sound patronising when talking online with no intonation, didn't mean to sound rude:)

No you weren't at all!

Here's the question:
    temp rise= 6.5
    SHC= 4.06kj kg^-1
    Density = 1
    (ii) Heat of reaction

(100E-3)(4.06)(6.5)=2.639Kj
    Then just continue as in the other one for the heat of reaction for one mole

Here's the question:
    temp rise= 6.5
    SHC= 4.06kj kg^-1
    Density = 1
    (ii) Heat of reaction

When you were getting the number of moles did you happen to use 50cm^3 instead of 25?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭VincentLeB

cw67irl wrote: »
    I was told not to necessarily drop last years topics as if they were answered badly they could ask them again!!!

Anyone know any topics that were badly answered badly last year?

Yes, please: does anyone know which experiments were answered badly last year?

• Advertisement

VincentLeB wrote: »
    Yes, please: does anyone know which experiments were answered badly last year?

Well without a Chief Examiners report its very difficult to tell really

Advertisement