Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Ok I'm leaving the internet until tomorrow after the exam, have a few experiments to get on with and Boards is a massive distraction! Good luck tomorrow fellow chem heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

simons545 wrote: »
    (100E-3)(4.06)(6.5)=2.639Kj
    Then just continue as in the other one for the heat of reaction for one mole

Ohhhh you have to add the two volumes together? Makes more sense now! :P
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

Ok I'm leaving the internet until tomorrow after the exam, have a few experiments to get on with and Boards is a massive distraction! Good luck tomorrow fellow chem heads!

I think you have the right idea. Good luck everyone!!!

Quiz time again!

1. What is dative covalent bonding?
    A bond formed where the two shared electrons come from one atom, e.g. in the hydronium ion H3O+

2. What is the difference between heat of combustion and heat of reaction?
    Heat of reaction is measured in KJ, heat of combustion is measured in KJ/mol

3. Name the product formed when ethanol reacts with sodium.
    sodium ethoxide

4. Give an example of a reaction with an autocatalyst.
    Reaction of KMnO4 with Fe2+ and dilute H2SO4, autocatalyst is Mn2+

5. Why does the pH of pure water change at different temperatures?
    pH is measured at 25 degrees Celsius, does not give true reading outside these values

6. What is the catalyst used in the Haber process?
    Iron (Fe)

7. In equilibrium calculations, when does the volume of the container not matter?
    When there are the same number of moles of gas on either side of the equation

8. What unit is ionisation energy measured in?
    KJ/mol

9. In KMnO4 titrations, (i) why do you need to add sulphuric acid? (ii) What do you observe when you don't?
    (i) Brown colour due to MnO2 (ii) without the acid KMnO4 does not work at full oxidising power

10. Why do aldehydes and ketones have higher boiling points than corresponding alkanes?
    There are dipole-dipole forces present in aldehydes and ketones not present in alkanes

11. Give an example of a flocculating agent.
    Aluminium sulphate

This one has me snookered. Can anyone explain? 12. Why is ethanal more soluble in water than its corresponding alkane ethane? :confused:

Are you sure about the answer to question 2? I thought all "heats of" are Kj/mol

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nl90

Oh God ! And what chapter is this?
    I didn't study electrochem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

Does anyone else no absolutely NO equations?? Like what ones do we need to know off by heart? Help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

37 pages and this is just the "before" bit...
    Does Chemistry win the trophy for most dedicated students? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

xJEx wrote: »
    Does anyone else no absolutely NO equations?? Like what ones do we need to know off by heart? Help!!

Some examples of acid-base neutralisations....tbh you dont have to learn any off...and the equilibrium experiment ones but thats it and water ones....

Not sure if this is uploading correctly from my phone but here is a quick revision table of the titrations

Part 1

• Advertisement

Some examples of acid-base neutralisations....tbh you dont have to learn any off...and the equilibrium experiment ones but thats it and water ones....

what are the water ones??

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

What is self ionisation of water?

Would H2O ---> H+ and OH- be enough for full marks in that question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

What is self ionisation of water?

Would H2O ---> H+ and OH- be enough for full marks in that question ?

yeah

xJEx wrote: »
    what are the water ones??

CO2 + H2O --->H2CO3

H2CO3 + CaCO3 --->Ca(HCO3)2

How hard water is formed! and know the reverse of that

• Registered Users Posts: 17 standup

I've given up on studying the topics! I'm going doing as many exam papers as i can now! I am hoping that this goes well tomorrow!!

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Why does each element have a unique emission spectrum, other than because they all have unique electronic configurations?

This is most definitely a question to test all of your knowledge, it is in no way me trying to exploit you all for your knowledge. Of course not.

Slow Show wrote: »
    Why does each element have a unique emission spectrum, other than because they all have unique electronic configurations?

This is most definitely a question to test all of your knowledge, it is in no way me trying to exploit you all for your knowledge. Of course not.

Unique number of shells, different samples (ie some contain more atoms...less energy absorbed by each)
    Different sub levels (although that essentially the same as the electronic config....hmmm....each atoms absorb different frequencies of light?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

Slow Show wrote: »

Hmm so when elements become "excited" electrons move from lower energy levels to higher ones. They are very unstable here and fall back to their positions. They emit definite energy when they fall back and each element has a different amount of energy released :D

Unique number of shells, different samples (ie some contain more atoms...less energy absorbed by each)
    Different sub levels (although that essentially the same as the electronic config....hmmm....each atoms absorb different frequencies of light?

All samples contain the same number of atoms (avogadro number) The only thing that changes to give the Balmer series is, the normal emitting a photon/packet of energy as it transitions from one state to another. Although the movement is basically the same, the energy for each transition is different depending on the attractive forces between the electron and the nucleus, hence the different lines in the series :)

They emit the energy equal to the enery difference between the two levels which is unique for each element

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Does anyone feel kinda helpless at this stage? :/ like I've gone over everything so many times, I don't know what to do now.

All samples contain the same number of atoms (avogadro number) The only thing that changes to give the Balmer series is, the normal emitting a photon/packet of energy as it transitions from one state to another. Although the movement is basically the same, the energy for each transition is different depending on the attractive forces between the electron and the nucleus, hence the different lines in the series :)

No all samples dont contain the same number of atoms....all moles contain the same number not samples!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Cheesepoo

Eoin Jacksons done his predictions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tuWq4_P0Ig

Eoin Jacksons done his predictions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tuWq4_P0Ig

TBH he messed up the physics IMO so dont bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Can anyone clarify about the colour change for the iodine/thiosulfate titration?

I thought it was reddish brown --> colourless --> straw yellow --> blue black

But in the video, even though the equation shows colourless, it goes straight from reddish brown to yellow??
    Thanks

No all samples dont contain the same number of atoms....all moles contain the same number not samples!

I mean when a sample's mass number is the number of grams, 12g of C-12 contain 6E23 atoms, 4g of He-4 contain same amount of atoms and so do all other elements with their mass number in grams, just sizes of each atom is different.

Prodigious wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify about the colour change for the iodine/thiosulfate titration?

But in the video, even though the equation shows colourless, it goes straight from reddish brown to yellow??
    Thanks

no no :P
    Its red/brown then when it goes straw yellow we add starch to make it go blue/black so we can have a more definite colour change to colourless
    Otherwise straw yellow to colourless is impossible to detect!

Prodigious wrote: »

Thanks
    It goes from golden brown=>pale yellow. Add freshly prepared starch indicator=>blue/black then addition of more thiosulfate gives the colorless. Hope this helped :-)

no no :P
    Its red/brown then when it goes straw yellow we add starch to make it go blue/black so we can have a more definite colour change to colourless
    Otherwise straw yellow to colourless is impossible to detect!

You got in before me :-) haha we are gonna have fun tomorrow :-P

• Advertisement

You got in before me :-) haha we are gonna have fun tomorrow :-P

Maybe you will i wont :(

Advertisement