Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

Ok guys Ionisation energy is tipped for tomorrow so...heres my tricks of the trade :P

mickey2.jpg

Mickeys hat and cloak represent the ATOMIC RADIUS...
    -Decreasing across (Mickey's hat gets narrower):
    -Increase in nuclear charge (ie more and more protons being added stronger pulling force from the nucleus, which in turn makes the radius smaller)
    -Also no screening effect of inner electrons!
    -Increasing Down (Like Mickey's cloak getting wider)
    -Addition of new shells down the period
    -Because of the addition of the new shells this means there is a screening effect of inner electrons!

Ionisation Energy:
    The energy required to remove the most loosely bound electron from a neutral atom in its gaseous state.

Ionisation energies....
    -Increase across the period:
    -Due to the decrease in atomic radius (See above)
    -Increase in atomic charge (more protons)
    -Decrease down the period:
    -Due to increasing atomic radius.
    -Screening effect of inner electrons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

OH I hope this "all-nighter" pays dividends tomorrow!!!
    En primer lugar, tengo El Espanol, y después, tengo la quemica!
    Best of luck to all!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

OH I hope this "all-nighter" pays dividends tomorrow!!!
    En primer lugar, tengo El Espanol, y después, tengo la quemica!
    Best of luck to all!!! :D

¡Buena suerte!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Don't know if I'll be back on this thread before the exam as I plan on studying straight until 2 .. So if not, GOOD LUCK chem students! Lets hope it's a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nl90

Can any one help me with this
    How to standarise a solution ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Nl90 wrote: »
    Can any one help me with this
    How to standarise a solution ?

Titration against a primary standard and then working our its molarity.

Good luck to everyone, keep cool! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

What experiments do ye reckon will come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

What experiments do ye reckon will come up?

Winkler Method, Ethanal, and maybe the one about producing Oxygen with H202 or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Ethanoic acid, iodine/thiosulfate, Decomposition of H2O2

What's the winkler method?

Prodigious wrote: »

BOD of water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

The dissolved O2 of water is found using the winkler method

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

I'll kill myself is the benzoic acid experiment comes up. I don't know it well :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

My teacher said they can't ask ehtanoic acid or ethanal in section A because sodium dichromate is banned in school labs and they can only be asked in section B

My teacher said they can't ask ehtanoic acid or ethanal in section A because sodium dichromate is banned in school labs and they can only be asked in section B

Yes they can ask it they have it on the syllabus and thus they have every right to ask it! They are tipped to come up as they are off the syllabus next year! I went to several chem revision courses....and they all said they can definitely ask you they even went to the trouble of making dvds for the schools of these 2 experiments so know them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

I'll kill myself is the benzoic acid experiment comes up. I don't know it well :confused:
    haha i didnt even do it came up 2 years in a row perior to 2012 dont see it again hopefully

ahmdoda wrote: »
    haha i didnt even do it came up 2 years in a row perior to 2012 dont see it again hopefully

I dont think it will....rates of rxn or heat of rxn is your best bet there!

Quick clarification. Is it that either atmospheric or industrial chemistry will be the option?

Quick clarification. Is it that either atmospheric or industrial chemistry will be the option?

Yes itll say answer either or i think :)

And the thinnest apparatus is always the most accurate? I.e Burette > graduated cylinder

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Yes itll say answer either or i think :)

I thought it was one of A or B comes up in each option, like say our year did atmospheric and industrial but other schools did materials and electrochemistry,
    then the question that comes up will have, for example, the option of atmospheric or electrochemistry. Or have I that wrong?

Either way, I only know industrial. Premier Periclase is my bítch :D

• Advertisement

And the thinnest apparatus is always the most accurate? I.e Burette > graduated cylinder
    Not neccasaily the thinest every time....the burette is more accurate is it measures ever drop, the graduated cylinder wouldnt "read" a tiny difference like a burrette...
    How ever the volumetric flask is better than any other because of its thing neck....its not the thinnest apparatus!

I thought it was one of A or B comes up in each option, like say our year did atmospheric and industrial but other schools did materials and electrochemistry,
    then the question that comes up will have, for example, the option of atmospheric or electrochemistry. Or have I that wrong?

Either way, I only know industrial. Premier Periclase is my bítch :D

Tbh half the schools dont bother with it....stick to what you know without the option and if you feel capable go for it!

Gonna nail it.

Gonna nail it.

Thats the spirit :) sick of people saying otherwise...
    Whats the timming today?

Not neccasaily the thinest every time....the burette is more accurate is it measures ever drop, the graduated cylinder wouldnt "read" a tiny difference like a burrette...
    How ever the volumetric flask is better than any other because of its thing neck....its not the thinnest apparatus!

Thank you :) Just in this particular question I was asked either a Burette or a graduated cylinder :)
    And I'm pretty sure you're right about the option it'll only be atmosphere or industry. Hoping for atmosphere :)

Thats the spirit :) sick of people saying otherwise...
    Whats the timming today?

Timing? Never really pay attention to it, always seem to have a good 30 minutes at least at the end. I'll probably do Q4 5 and 6 first, then go back and to the experiments, and then have a look at what's left. What order are you doing?

Timing? Never really pay attention to it, always seem to have a good 30 minutes at least at the end. I'll probably do Q4 5 and 6 first, then go back and to the experiments, and then have a look at what's left. What order are you doing?

Guys ALWAYS do q 4 they give you 2 "free marks" for nothing cause the total for that q doesnt add up!!SO DO Q4 ! the marks just get added on to the first 2 qs you get right! (check it out yourself....each is worth 6m x 8 = 48....q is worth 50.....:P (this has been confirmed by teachers)

Also you guys would be idiots (not saying you are yet :P) if you go into the exam not knowing:
    Mn+7 = purple
    Mn+4 = brown
    Mn+2 = colourless

You add H2SO4 to provide protons to enure complete redution of Mn+7 to Mn+2 NOT Mn+4
    Mn+4 is in the BOD expriment its the brown percipitate...
    Mn+2 is a catalyst (autocatalysis!)

• Advertisement

All experiments first do all if you can gives you so much space at the end
    Then q 4, 7.8.9
    Then the ones with the options :)

Advertisement