Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in TEFL

• 11-06-2013 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Not sure if this is the right forum to be posting in, but I'll give it a lash anyway. I graduated as a secondary school teacher a few years ago and I moved abroad to teach English last year.

At the moment I am considering doing a Masters in English Teaching in a French university, but I am wondering if there is any point in doing this? Most TEFL jobs that I have seen look for native English speakers, or for CELTA. There is the option to get into the French system but there is an awful lot of commitment and dedication afterwards and you cannot get out of contracts, etc. I am still in my 20s and want to travel a lot, however I want to keep building on my experience rather than taking a TEFL job "that anyone who is a native speaker" can do, as well as moving up the payscale somewhat, as much jobs I have seen just tend to be €1200 per month more or less.

My question is, would there be any point in me doing this masters if I already have an education degree and TEFL experience? Or would I just be doing a lot of work to move a bit further up the line for the same job as anyone with a degree? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭RingTheAlarm!

Sorry could this be moved to Teaching and Lecturing please? I posted in the wrong forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

If I understand you correctly, you want to do this course to help your career.

In that case I would advise against it, and advise you to do a MBA or similar instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

In that case I would advise against it, and advise you to do a MBA or similar instead.
    MBA? For a career in education?

OP, I'm not really sure what benefit, if any, TEFL to master's level would bring. What do you plan to do with it? You already sound qualified, and there are no shortage of TEFL jobs worldwide.

I'm assuming the OP wants to get promoted to a management level.

I would imagine having a MBA would give you a serious edge over the other teachers when it comes to promotions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm assuming the OP wants to get promoted to a management level.

I would imagine having a MBA would give you a serious edge over the other teachers when it comes to promotions.
    OP is in their 20's, wants to 'travel a lot' and 'move up the payscale'! Not entirely sure what exactly they want, but if what they do want is to fund travel through TEFL teaching, then they're plenty qualified already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moved from Work and Jobs.

endacl wrote: »
    if what they do want is to fund travel through TEFL teaching, then they're plenty qualified already.

I agree. I live in China where loads of people teach English.

The key to getting promoted here seems to be knowledge of the local language and being reliable. Amazingly nearly none of the English teachers know the local language and quite a lot would be fairly unreliable...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Frenchly

I personnally think that you would feel quite uncomfortable doing the Master in English in France for this main reason: the teaching approach in France concerning languages is completely different from here. If you haven't done grammars, translations, phonetics, etc..in English, even if it's your language, it might be a bit difficult to follow..

Advertisement