Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

yea!
    I don't know anything on Micheal Collins ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If anyone has a problem with moderation, please use the appropriate procedure to report it.

There will be no slagging of people because of the levels they do or how they expect to do in the exams in this forum, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

to Ireland, organised Irish Volunteers, became member of Sinn Féin (led by Eamon de Velara)
    1919, Collins elected to First Dáil, forced to meet secret locations as it was illegal.
    Cathal Brugha and Collins set up IRA, began attacking RIC barracks in Ireland.
    Collins came up with new fighting method- Guerilla warfare
    Flying Colums used Guerilla Warfare to attack the British Army called the Black & Tans.
    Black & Tans retaliated by burning down towns and arresting large number of people
    Cork burnt down after ambush on the British by IRA in Kilmichael, Cork
    Collins organised a group of 12 Assassins called ‘The Twelve Apostles’
    He set up a network of spies throughout Ireland.
    November 1920- Bloody Sunday, 12 spectators of GAA match shot dead as a result of 14 British agents being shot dead.
    July 1921- truce called between IRA and British Government
    October 1921- Anglo-Irish Treaty signed between Ireland and Britain, Griffin & Collins signed for Ireland
    Huge Split in Ireland was result of treaty, led to Civil War
    Dies in Béal na Bláth, Cork 1922.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

to Ireland, organised Irish Volunteers, became member of Sinn Féin (led by Eamon de Velara)
    1919, Collins elected to First Dáil, forced to meet secret locations as it was illegal.
    Flying Colums used Guerilla Warfare to attack the British Army called the Black & Tans.
    Black & Tans retaliated by burning down towns and arresting large number of people
    November 1920- Bloody Sunday, 12 spectators of GAA match shot dead as a result of 14 British agents being shot dead.
    October 1921- Anglo-Irish Treaty signed between Ireland and Britain, Griffin & Collins signed for Ireland

If anyone has trouble remembering the exact dates in an account like this, don't worry, you will not lose many marks for a wrong date.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Lost In Confusion

neither do i but needa study french first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I mean that i'm not going to bother learning him. You can get an A in Honor History even if you don't look at a single word refering to Irish History in 20th century ;). Useful notes though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 emzana

What was the Cuban Missile Crisis?

It was in 1959 when Fidel Castro and Che Guevara overthrew a corrupt government in Cuba and set up a communist government. America banned trade with Cuba and Cuba called on USSR (Khrushchev) for help. The US noticed that the USSR were locating missiles in Cuba that could destroy whole cities within minutes of a launch.

JFK made a public TV announcement in October 1962: saying that 1. he would not allow missiles to be launched from Cuba, 2.US navy ships placed a blockade around Cuba, 3. if a missile was fired from Cuba the USA would launch a full-scale nuclear attack on USSR and 4. American B-2 atomic bomber planes were in the air in case of an attack.

For two days USSR ignored this. SOviet ships continued to Cuba and the world tensely waited for war. Finally on 24th Oct. Khrushchev ordered ships to stop. Negotiations between the two countries ended on 28th with a compromise: 1. USSR had to remove missiles from Cuba. 2. USA could not attack Cuba and 3. JFK secretly promised to remove missiles on USSR border in Turkey.

Results: 1. Nuclear war had just been narrowly avoided. Co-operation between two countries improved afterwards. 2. A 'hotline' was set up between the Presidential offices of USSR and USA. 3. A Test Ban Treaty was signed in 1963 banning the testing of nuclear weapons at land or sea

Sorry for really long rant but it was good revision for me and might help someone else!

Q: What was the Act of Union 1801?

neither do i but needa study french first

So do I, its only really the letter thats hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I mean that i'm not going to bother learning him. You can get an A in Honor History even if you don't look at a single word refering to Irish History in 20th century ;). Useful notes though! :)

+1, I'll wait till the LC before I answer a question on Irish history.

Whoops, missed the first part:
    Born in Cork, Ireland 1890.
    Emigrated to London- worked in Post Office & Bank.
    Joined the Irish Volunteers, returned to Ireland in 1916, fought in GPO in 1916 Rising
    After defeat, arrested, sent to prison camp in England and became a leader.

• Advertisement

emzana wrote: »
    It was in 1959 when Fidel Castro and Che Guevara overthrew a corrupt government in Cuba and set up a communist government. America banned trade with Cuba and Cuba called on USSR (Khrushchev) for help. The US noticed that the USSR were locating missiles in Cuba that could destroy whole cities within minutes of a launch.

JFK made a public TV announcement in October 1962: saying that 1. he would not allow missiles to be launched from Cuba, 2.US navy ships placed a blockade around Cuba, 3. if a missile was fired from Cuba the USA would launch a full-scale nuclear attack on USSR and 4. American B-2 atomic bomber planes were in the air in case of an attack.

For two days USSR ignored this. SOviet ships continued to Cuba and the world tensely waited for war. Finally on 24th Oct. Khrushchev ordered ships to stop. Negotiations between the two countries ended on 28th with a compromise: 1. USSR had to remove missiles from Cuba. 2. USA could not attack Cuba and 3. JFK secretly promised to remove missiles on USSR border in Turkey.

Results: 1. Nuclear war had just been narrowly avoided. Co-operation between two countries improved afterwards. 2. A 'hotline' was set up between the Presidential offices of USSR and USA. 3. A Test Ban Treaty was signed in 1963 banning the testing of nuclear weapons at land or sea

Sorry for really long rant but it was good revision for me and might help someone else!

Q: What was the Act of Union 1801?

Thank You!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

Whoops, missed the first part:
    Born in Cork, Ireland 1890.
    Emigrated to London- worked in Post Office & Bank.
    Joined the Irish Volunteers, returned to Ireland in 1916, fought in GPO in 1916 Rising
    After defeat, arrested, sent to prison camp in England and became a leader.

Even though your better off putting it in, I'm pretty sure no marks go for background information! Spurious can probably can confirm this I may be wrong (even though he/she probably hates me by now :L)

They would combine background facts for a maximum of 1 SRS. This is all on the marking schemes.

Advertisement