Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent history notes needed!

Options
  • 11-06-2013 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Could anyone post notes for?:
    -Jesuits
    -John Calvin and the city of Geneva

Thanks! :)

***I will swap notes if that's what you want.***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

-Jesuits

John Calvin created a new Church in Geneva in Switzerland. He named the city the “City of God”, which he contrasted with the city of Rome, which he regarded as sinful. The new religion set up by Calvin in Geneva was very strict and was based on some of the ideas of Martin Luther. However, Calvin’s Church taught that God had decided who was going to heaven even before they were born. This was known as predestination. Calvin only believed in one sacrament, which was baptism. All Calvinist churches were very simple and stained glass windows and statues were forbidden. Calvin introduced very strict religious rules in Geneva. Dancing, singing and swearing were forbidden and people were encouraged to wear dark coloured clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

John Calvin created a new Church in Geneva in Switzerland. He named the city the “City of God”, which he contrasted with the city of Rome, which he regarded as sinful. The new religion set up by Calvin in Geneva was very strict and was based on some of the ideas of Martin Luther. However, Calvin’s Church taught that God had decided who was going to heaven even before they were born. This was known as predestination. Calvin only believed in one sacrament, which was baptism. All Calvinist churches were very simple and stained glass windows and statues were forbidden. Calvin introduced very strict religious rules in Geneva. Dancing, singing and swearing were forbidden and people were encouraged to wear dark coloured clothing.
    Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

What is almost definate to come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

-Jesuits

JESUITS

The Jesuits were an order of priests set up by an ex-soldier from Spain called Ignatius Loyola. He had been injured in battle and decided to dedicate his whole life to God. He set up the Jesuits in Paris and the Pope accepted them because of their dedication and loyalty. They became known as the “soldiers of Christ”. They travelled all over the world as preachers and teachers and created many schools and universities. As part of their missionary work they attempted to convert Protestants back to the Catholic Church in parts of Poland and Germany. However, their biggest missionary work took place in the “new world” of South America where large numbers of people became Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Social developments in Ireland and Political Developments will definateley come up..

• Advertisement

Social developments in Ireland and Political Developments will definateley come up..

Thanks, anything about WW2 or the sailors?

I don't like them sections :D.

Yeah the Cold War master that and the Blitz, for the WII section and you will be grand for the long questions I rekon. And read over the age of exploration, read over the reformation, a reformer you have studied could come up for people in history's. Goodluck man, I'm getting up at 10 tomorrow to study, no such thing as a lie in for me, not during the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

In what section?

Social Changes in History in Ireland, should be on the index of your book and political developments in the twentieth century or something also, look at the index :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

Nevermind.. was referring to the exam. I thought you meant they were coming up in a section in the exam other than question 6. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

Yeah the Cold War master that and the Blitz, for the WII section and you will be grand for the long questions I rekon. And read over the age of exploration, read over the reformation, a reformer you have studied could come up for people in history's. Goodluck man, I'm getting up at 10 tomorrow to study, no such thing as a lie in for me, not during the exams.

Ah U dont do French !!

examstress wrote: »
    Ah U dont do French !!
    I'm waking up at 6 .. and I will spend like 5 hours writing every paragragh/essay question in the past papers ;). Enjoy french! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

You seem to be studying the Reformation. So have you covered The Council of Trent? That's a topic that might come up there.
    (also why are you focusing a lot on the reformation? It came up last year, so although I would certainly revise it, you seem to think its coming up this year. Why? Our teacher told us it was extremely unlikely that it would come up...)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

What P.I.H essays do you guys reckon will come up ? :?

claryfray wrote: »
    You seem to be studying the Reformation. So have you covered The Council of Trent? That's a topic that might come up there.
    (also why are you focusing a lot on the reformation? It came up last year, so although I would certainly revise it, you seem to think its coming up this year. Why? Our teacher told us it was extremely unlikely that it would come up...)
    It came up on Q5 last year ... not Q6. It came up on 2009 for Q6, so I think and my teacher thinks it will come up this year for Q6.

It came up on Q5 last year ... not Q6. It came up on 2009 for Q6, so I think and my teacher thinks it will come up this year for Q6.

Okay suppose I better pay more attention to it so :P

OisinLAD wrote: »
    What P.I.H essays do you guys reckon will come up ? :?

Explorer, Reformer, Monk in an early Christian Monastery, Factory Owner...some of the ones I reckon. I am trying to learn off all possible essays though just to be on the safe side, coz I am looking for an A :P

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

I still need a list of all possible P.I.H. and couldn't find what Arnie was on about.

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    I still need a list of all possible P.I.H. and couldn't find what Arnie was on about.
    Alright alright ... I will link it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Alright alright ... I will link it :rolleyes:

:p

Explorer, Reformer, Monk in an early Christian Monastery, Factory Owner...some of the ones I reckon. I am trying to learn off all possible essays though just to be on the safe side, coz I am looking for an A :P

Thanks big time man! I'll learn those first 3 and hope I get lucky :L

Please! Don't follow my methods of learning one thing and hoping another thing doesn't come up :D

Seriously though, thanks man because I wasn't able to find the answer to that question!

***NOT MY WORDS, FISHER'S WORDS***

Only 5 chapters can come up since this is 2nd year course but no chapter ever comes up twice in 3 years so you only have to study (i) The Age of Exploration, (ii) Plantations, (iii) Revolutionary Movements.

Ok now for Age of Exploration you just learn off one thing that is guaranteed and that's Conflict between European powers as a result of the voyages. Trust me it came up in 2003 and 2010 so I'm actually 100% sure that it will cover you. (12 marks)

For Plantations, it came up twice in last 13 years (2009 and 2001). And to be 100% covered you only need to learn off:
    One of the plantations you studied and its effects on 2 of these 3 : Religion/Political Control/Language and Customs (16 marks)

For Revolutionary Movements, it came up twice(2008 and 2003) and if you learn off (i) Causes of the American War of Independence (2008) AND (ii) Impact of the War of Independence on France (2003) you are covered

Now for Q4,

I am 90% sure that a Voyager will come up. Look at this pattern for Q4 (beer)

2012 - Revolutionary
    2011 - Voyager
    2010 - Revolutionary
    2009 - Voyager
    2008 - Settler on a plantation (This also came up in 2012 so can't come up at all in 2013

Now for Q4 (angel)

2012 - Archaeologist
    2011 - Reformer
    2010 - Archaeologist
    2009 - Monk/Roman
    2008 - Reformer

Just learn off Reformer along with either a monk or roman and YOU ARE COVERED

Now for Q6, SOCIAL CHANGE AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS ARE SO MUCH MORE PREDICTABLE THAN YOU THINK

Look at Social Change Long Questions

2012-
    What are the main changes in World of Work since 1945?

2011- (choose 2)
    Transport/Women's Lives/Leisure

2010 - (choose 2)
    Communications/Education/Housing/Religion

2009 -(choose 2)
    Transport/Women's Lives/Sport and Leisure

2008 -
    Write about Impact of Irish life of the changes in Communications since 1960

2007- (choose 2)

2006-

Now from that analysis it is clear that if you learn off 2 of the long questions from 2011 and 2 from 2010 along with the easy short answer Q's from 2008-2011 You will get Very High marks in Social Change properly full marks

Wonderful, Arnie, thank you.

***NOT MY WORDS, FISHER'S WORDS***

Only 5 chapters can come up since this is 2nd year course but no chapter ever comes up twice in 3 years so you only have to study (i) The Age of Exploration, (ii) Plantations, (iii) Revolutionary Movements.

Ok now for Age of Exploration you just learn off one thing that is guaranteed and that's Conflict between European powers as a result of the voyages. Trust me it came up in 2003 and 2010 so I'm actually 100% sure that it will cover you. (12 marks)

For Plantations, it came up twice in last 13 years (2009 and 2001). And to be 100% covered you only need to learn off:
    One of the plantations you studied and its effects on 2 of these 3 : Religion/Political Control/Language and Customs (16 marks)

For Revolutionary Movements, it came up twice(2008 and 2003) and if you learn off (i) Causes of the American War of Independence (2008) AND (ii) Impact of the War of Independence on France (2003) you are covered

Now for Q4,

I am 90% sure that a Voyager will come up. Look at this pattern for Q4 (beer)

2012 - Revolutionary
    2011 - Voyager
    2010 - Revolutionary
    2009 - Voyager
    2008 - Settler on a plantation (This also came up in 2012 so can't come up at all in 2013

Now for Q4 (angel)

2012 - Archaeologist
    2011 - Reformer
    2010 - Archaeologist
    2009 - Monk/Roman
    2008 - Reformer

Just learn off Reformer along with either a monk or roman and YOU ARE COVERED

Now for Q6, SOCIAL CHANGE AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS ARE SO MUCH MORE PREDICTABLE THAN YOU THINK

Look at Social Change Long Questions

2012-

2011- (choose 2)

2010 - (choose 2)
    Communications/Education/Housing/Religion

2009 -(choose 2)
    Transport/Women's Lives/Sport and Leisure

2008 -
    Write about Impact of Irish life of the changes in Communications since 1960

2007- (choose 2)

2006-

Now from that analysis it is clear that if you learn off 2 of the long questions from 2011 and 2 from 2010 along with the easy short answer Q's from 2008-2011 You will get Very High marks in Social Change properly full marks

Could this be any more helpful? haha

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Wonderful, Arnie, thank you.
    ;)

OisinLAD wrote: »
    Thanks big time man! I'll learn those first 3 and hope I get lucky :L

Please! Don't follow my methods of learning one thing and hoping another thing doesn't come up :D

Seriously though, thanks man because I wasn't able to find the answer to that question!

Just my guesses! Also I am a girl. :o

I know some people say thanks man, I say it myself, but yeah feeling awkward in case you think I am a dude :rolleyes:

Is it worth studying Michael Collins, also should I study WW2 & Hitler for Q6 D?

Just my guesses! Also I am a girl. :o

I know some people say thanks man, I say it myself, but yeah feeling awkward in case you think I am a dude :rolleyes:

That is a bit awkward :L Sorry Madam :o

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where it mentions a date for social change, make sure your answer is relevant to the time period asked.

This is where people come out with nonsense like their granny on a penny-farthing etc - even MY granny was too young for a penny-farthing.

Advertisement