Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent history notes needed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

OisinLAD wrote: »
    That is a bit awkward :L Sorry Madam :o

Thanks again :)

Ha ha no problem, and your welcome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

My name is brother John. I am a monk in Holy Cross Abbey.

I am a Benedictine Monk and I follow the rule of St. Benedict. Brother Lawrence is the abbot-head of the monastery and was elected by all of us monks.. He got the majority vote etc...

It took a long time for me to become a monk. When I was 17 years old I became a novice and I joined the monastery. I had to learn the rule of St. Benedict. The Abbot thought I would become a good monk so he allowed me to take the solemn vows. My hair was cut in a tonsure and I was given the black habit of a Benedictine Monk.

I live in a very large monastery, which has 12 different areas in it; the Church, the Almonry, the Infirmary, the dormitory (where all the monks sleep), the chapter house, an open area with a garden in the centre, the reflectory, the barns, the library, the scriptorium, the Guesthouse and the Bake House. I currently spend alot of my day in the Bake House, Making Bread for all of my fellow monks.

It's probably fairly pointless naming all the areas looking back on it now

Everyday I wake up at 6am and go to the church for prime. Most of my day consists of praying and worshipping God. At 1pm I go to the Bake House, and make bread until 3pm. At 8pm I go to bed in our dormitory, I wake again at midnight to pray in the church. At 1pm I return to bed for sleep.

The main services provided by us Benedictine Monks are: providing education for young people, healing people with herbs and medicines, offering shelter for travellers and most importantly we pray for all the townspeople in our area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Each of the areas with an explanation of what they were for would get you an SRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Snncc

Quick question, did you all learn the three different crises of the Cold War in school or just two? I'm doubting myself, we only did the Berlin Blockade and the Cuban Missile Crisis.. I know the Berlin Blockade really well but I'm a bit iffy on the Cuban Missile Crisis, is it possible that they could just ask the Korean War? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

I think you only have to learn 1, as you always get the choice between the 3 (as far as I know).

• Advertisement

I think you only have to learn 1, as you always get the choice between the 3 (as far as I know).

Phew, thanks! :D

Michelangelo was born in 1475. He was a brilliant artist/sculptor. He became an apprentice to the artist Ghirlandaio. After his apprenticeship he got a job sculpting statues for the gardens of the 'de Medici' family. Lorenzo recognised Michelangelo's talent and became his partron. When Lorenzo died Michelangelo went to Rome and a Cardinal paid him to carve a statue - 'The Pieta' with just one block of marble! It was the only statue he ever signed.

Later he returned to Florence and sculpted a 5 metre high 'Statue of David' which showed Michelangelo's great understanding of human anatomy. It was the most realistic statue the people of the time had ever seen. In 1503, Pope Julius II became the new pope. He paid Michaelangelo to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome. It took him 4 years to complete.

Michaelangelo also designed buildings. (The Dome on St. Peter's Basilica). He wrote poetry too. He died in Rome (1564) aged 89.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

Snncc wrote: »
    Phew, thanks! :D

In 2011 though, it was only Korean War and Berlin Blockade and you couldn't answer on Cuban Missile Crisis

In 2011 though, it was only Korean War and Berlin Blockade and you couldn't answer on Cuban Missile Crisis

Wel.. I guess it's time to revise the Cuban Missile Crisis so!

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

Uh oh... I only learnt the Korean War. Ah well sure! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

spurious wrote: »
    Each of the areas with an explanation of what they were for would get you an SRS.

What'd you mean? Would I get a mark for each one, or a single mark for all them? If it's the former, I think I'll do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    What'd you mean? Would I get a mark for each one, or a single mark for all them? If it's the former, I think I'll do that.

A mark for each, or at worst a mark for each two you name and explain - it depends on the question and the marking scheme, but in previous years that is what you would have got.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

spurious wrote: »
    A mark for each, or at worst a mark for each two you name and explain - it depends on the question and the marking scheme.

Well, they're definitely worth knowing. Thanks, spurious.

Christopher Columbus was born in 1451 in Genoa, Italy. He spent his early life on merchant ships and he learnt a lot about travelling and ships there. He believed the earth was round and that you could sail right around it.

He decided to go on a voyage to the Spice Islands. He got sponsored by the King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain for the voyage. His 3 ships were named The Nina, The Pinta, and The Santa Maria (The Flagship). In August 1492, he set sail from the south of Spain. He stopped in the Canary Islands for repairs and supplies and then headed west. After endless weeks of sailing, the sailors had lost all hope of surviving and threatened mutiny to Columbus. Columbus told that them if they did not find land in 3 days that they would turn back.

On the 12th October, one of the sailors on-board the Pinta spotted land. They called the island San Salvador (Holy Saviour). Columbus named the natives there Indians because he believed he was in India. The Santa Maria hit a rock on the coast of San Salvador and so, 40 men were left behind in San Salvador. They built a fort called 'La Navidad' out of the wood from which the Santa Maria was built from.

When Columbus returned to Spain he got a hero's welcome. He brought back with him exotic animals and fruits that no one had seen before.

Columbus made 3 more voyages to New World, but his career in shame, for treating natives with cruelty and he was arrested.
    He eventually died in Valladolid, Spain in 1506 aged 54.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

dublinarnie when u say voyager do u mean Columbus and Magellan and stuff????

Born in Saxony, Germany 1483.
    Teacher at University of Wittenburg for Theology
    Studied bible - way for sinners to get into Heaven
    Answer was ‘Justification by faith alone
    Against sale of Indulgences, wrote list of arguments- 95 Theses, nailed to Wittenburg Church door.
    Printing Press- made pamphlets highlighting Arguments- distributed easily
    He was called a Heretic for going against teachings of the Church
    Duke of Saxony- called for Pope to send someone to argue Luther Beliefs- caused Luther to grow further apart
    In 1519- Claimed ‘The Authority of the Bible was greater than that of the Pope
    Pope threatened to excommunicate- Issued Papal Bull warned to back down
    Luther reacts by burning it in Public- Pope Leo X excommunicates Luther
    Charles V calls a Diet (Meeting) in Worms - Luther told to recant but refuses
    Declared a Heretic by the Order of Worms
    Brought to the Castle of Wartburg by Frederick the Wise
    Luther spends year in Wartburg- Translates Bible into German
    Luther marries Katherina von Bora- Has 6 Children
    Dies in 1546 in Saxony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭zubikhan

I am currently studying 1st year history now and then around 1 o clock I will go to sleep and wake up at 5 and start on the 2nd and 3rd year !!! Some crack

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

Born in Saxony, Germany 1483.
    Teacher at University of Wittenburg for Theology
    Studied bible - way for sinners to get into Heaven
    Answer was ‘Justification by faith alone
    Against sale of Indulgences, wrote list of arguments- 95 Theses, nailed to Wittenburg Church door.
    Printing Press- made pamphlets highlighting Arguments- distributed easily
    He was called a Heretic for going against teachings of the Church
    Duke of Saxony- called for Pope to send someone to argue Luther Beliefs- caused Luther to grow further apart
    In 1519- Claimed ‘The Authority of the Bible was greater than that of the Pope
    Pope threatened to excommunicate- Issued Papal Bull warned to back down
    Luther reacts by burning it in Public- Pope Leo X excommunicates Luther
    Charles V calls a Diet (Meeting) in Worms - Luther told to recant but refuses
    Declared a Heretic by the Order of Worms
    Brought to the Castle of Wartburg by Frederick the Wise
    Luther spends year in Wartburg- Translates Bible into German
    Luther marries Katherina von Bora- Has 6 Children
    Dies in 1546 in Saxony

Will they cover Q4 and Q6?

zubikhan wrote: »
    I am currently studying 1st year history now and then around 1 o clock I will go to sleep and wake up at 5 and start on the 2nd and 3rd year !!! Some crack
    im postin this everywhere lol less stress more success don't worry too much! r u takin it on for the lc???:D

im postin this everywhere lol less stress more success don't worry too much! r u takin it on for the lc???:D

Over my dead body I will
    :P

• Advertisement

haha i take it u don't like it?? :P

haha i take it u don't like it?? :P

No not one bit, It is the only subject where you HAVE to learn in order to get a high grade, you cannot use your common sense or anything.
    but I got a B in the mocks so probably end up getting a B again

Will they cover Q4 and Q6?

According to DublinArnie, the four essays I typed up their will cover question 4. No Idea for Question 6... Can't even remember what question 6 is about! Coming from a lad who got an A in the mocks :L

Honestly I think the only challenging bit of the history exam is the essays! If you know those 4 essays it's like a guaranteed B! Then it just takes a little bit extra to reach the A.. Whether it's study or just getting lucky :P

No not one bit, It is the only subject where you HAVE to learn in order to get a high grade, you cannot use your common sense or anything.

Well the social bit is like common sense tbh.
    Improvement in women's lives and all that craic.

i got a c :( i need to stay awake to finish my notes!how can u wake upat5??

i got a c! i needto stay awake to study! how can u wake up at 5??

You get used to it.
    Like in the past 2 days I in total got only 5 hours of sleep.
    Do you do French ? if not I would suggest to sleep sometime early like 12 and wake up early at around 6 which would give you around 7/8 hours to study for history, I heard that you forget most of the things if you fall asleep or something along that line anyways

Lad at this stage screw your notes, just start reading notes.. it's quicker!

On this thread some guy put up all the notes you need for first and second year..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055835050&page=23

Well the social bit is like common sense tbh.
    Improvement in women's lives and all that craic.

Yeah but the teachers, say it is very hardly marked and they suggest of not doing it.
    Our school simply does not include the social change in the history course, we never study it.

• Advertisement

Lad at this stage screw your notes, just start reading notes.. it's quicker!

On this thread some guy put up all the notes you need for first and second year..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055835050&page=23

thanks forthe tip im okay for question 1,2,3,5 and possibly 6! screwed for 4! ;) thanks for the link:D

Advertisement