Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emg stop circuit for ind kitchen

Options
  • 11-06-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

howdy, i am required to put 3 emergency stop buttons in an industrial kitchen for all the sockets. In the kitchen there is a single phase circuit with 4 points, a single phase 16A socket and a 3 phase 16A socket. Can i use a 4 pole contactor with the 3 phase in the first 3 poles and the two single phase lives in the 4th pole. A 6A breaker feeding the emergency stops in series then into A1 of the contactor.Or am i totaly off the mark.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You are not too far off the mark. Ensure that all devices are rated for the currents that they will be carrying and protected accordingly.

Here is how I would wire the power part:

3 Phase + N supply (all contacts are NO)

to

4 pole contactor (3 Phase +N)

to

Protective devices (3 Phase MCBs + RCD for 3 Phase sockets and RCBOs for single phase sockets)

Next the control:

Wire the E-Stops in series. These should energise an emergency stop relay. This will then be to provide a NO contact to the contactor coil. I will post a picture later, I have to go out now. Basically the idea is that the E-Stops latch and require a reset. We are being made change all E-Stops in work so that they latch, otherwise (technically) they are only stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

a picture would be brillant thanks. the way i drew it i had the the protective devices before the contactor but this sounds better. would they be better after as to break the supply quicker please explain

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

OK, this was done in a bit of a rush but I think it is clear enough (God bless Tipex):

Power1.jpg

I am assuming that the first circuit is supplying 4 socket outlets.
    The relay would be OK if it was rated for 40A per pole, but the 63A will last longer is switched under load. It will also have larger terminals.

control4.jpg

Does this make sense?

As you can see contactor K1 is protected by a 40A MCB.
    All MCBs are C type as this is normal for a commercial / industrial installation.

As stated above, the E-Stops will "latch", this is achieved by using an emergency stop relay (shown as ESR on the control drawing).
    So if one of the E-Stops is activated the circuits fed from K1 will not simply switch back on once the E-Stops are all reset.
    It will also be necessary to press the reset button. Increasingly this is becoming a requirement as many would only consider a latching E-Stop to meet the requirements of an E-Stop circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

thanks very much thats great the relay aswel goog idea

thanks very much thats great the relay aswel goog idea
    No bother. I just corrected a few mistakes on the control drawing and used a pint of Tipex!
    I have just redrawn and reposted, should be clear now.
    Also added in an "optional extra" of status lights for the front of the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭mikemcdeedy100

yes

was it ever acceptable for emergency stops to re-energize the ccts when released?

-even with a key

not afaik

yes

was it ever acceptable for emergency stops to re-energize the ccts when released?

-even with a key

not afaik

I am not sure to be honest. Like most people I have seen many emergency stops installed that do not latch. I think it is OK to do this if it is understood that they are simply "stops" and if an emergency stop is required it is wired separately and it latches. I am modifying a large MCC starter circuits to align with the required standards at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

ya i've seen it done in schools and the like where they just have key stops to turn off sockets

for the emergency stopping/switching however
    the stops can't reset the circuit
    -thats been the case since old 3rd edition rules anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It also means in a power cut, machines won't restart when power returns.

It can also be achieved by wiring the emergency stops to the contactor the same as in a dol starter, with hold on contact etc, so the start button is actually the reset.

Advertisement