Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling when renting an apartment

Options
  • 11-06-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Seen a few appartments thinking of renting.. they have the price what they want for it.. im just wondering do they drop the price if your interested. can ya haggle with the estate agencys

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It will depend where the apartment is and the level of demand for that area along with the advertised price. You can haggle with whoever you want. Whether your haggling is effective or not is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Only in places with lots of apartments and low demand, ie; not in most good parts of Dublin. Where were you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Man on Fire

the_syco wrote: »
    Only in places with lots of apartments and low demand, ie; not in most good parts of Dublin. Where were you looking at?

Citywest tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

Citywest tallaght

Haggle away so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

As said, you can haggle anywhere, whether you're successful or not is another thing. I've rented all over Dublin 6 which is a high demand area and sometimes have been successful and sometimes not. It saves you a bit of money and also can allow you go for an apartment that's supposedly out of your price range. All depends how long the property is on the market and also how soon you can move in. The last place I got €50 cheaper than someone else who offered the full price as I could move in immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Course ya can. If you show up at an apartment viewing and there's 10-15 other people viewing it, it's unlikely that haggling will do you much good. If you show up and it's just you or 2/3 other people then better chance.

One trick that worked for me in the past (admittedly in Canada, not Ireland) was to agree to a longer lease (18/24 mths) for cheaper rent.

Advertisement