Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Khaled Hosseini's "And the Mountains Echoed"

Options
  • 11-06-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Just finished And the Mountains Echoed. A good read and I enjoyed it but not as much as his first two books which I loved.
    The blurb at the back is actually quite misleading and the book really wasn't what I was expecting. It felt more like several short stories very loosely tied together rather than a full novel. We're introduced to Abdullah right at the start as a young boy and I wanted to hear more about his life - running away from home, his time in Pakistan, how he got to America. Instead we don't meet him again until he's an old man and spend a lot of time with relatively minor characters like Idris and Timur. Some of the chapters like Markos and Talia seemed like they were meant for another book. Most of the chapters were interesting stories by themselves, I just would have liked them to connect a bit more with each other.

In saying all that I liked the book and think Hosseini is a great storyteller.
    I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on this book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I haven't opened your spoiler as I'm nearly 100 pages in, I avoided the Kite Runner for years as I snobbily put it in the mass fiction category, almost akin to Dan Brown, when I read it I appreciated why it was so popular, beautiful story, fascinating and believable characters, pathos mixed with hope. I couldn't bring myself to read A thousand splendid suns for a long time as I knew it would be a difficult emotional read, when I read it I was blown away, as soon as I saw this new book I bought it, it's brilliant so far.
    The topic at the top of the page has some discussion on the book, I think one other poster is reading it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Certainly the weakest of his three books but at the same time I really enjoyed reading it, just a little underwhelmed at the end, some of the connections were a little unsatisfactory, it promised so much in the first part with young Abdullah and Pari, lost its way a little. He had so much to live up to with his other two books that it's not surprising that people will be a little disappointed.

Advertisement