Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Leaf Recipes

Options
  • 11-06-2013 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Got a head of "chinese leaf" in tesco there the other night (reduced :P) presuming it was like a lettuce and I was going to use it as wraps for a taco mince recipe but now I'm unsure if they can be eaten raw or this is their best use?

Anyone have any nice recipes using chinese leaf or any advice on possible uses?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭VanillaLime

I used it in a stir fry and liked it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

The first thing I think of when you say chinese leaf (I assume it's chinese cabbage) is to stuff them with prawn mince mixture, then roll them up and steam them.
    I've had them many times before but have never made them myself.
    This is a recipe from 3hungrytummies:

Steamed Stuffed Chinese Cabbage Rolls with Pork and Prawn Mince

First make the mince mixture. You'll need:
    500g pork mince (chicken or veal is a good sub)
    200g prawns, minced
    7.5 g wood fungus, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, drained and chopped
    2 spring onions, chopped
    a knob of ginger, grated
    1 egg
    dash of soy
    dash of salt
    dash of sesame oil
    3tbs of corn flour
    dash of chinese wine

Throw everything in a large bowl and mix really well, use your hand preferably.

Now, make the rolls. Take your chinese cabbage and strip 4 leaves out if they're large, maybe more if they're smaller. Bring a pot of water to the boil, blanch Chinese cabbage for a minute or until soften. Remove and run under cold tap water for 30 seconds.
    Dry cabbage leaves with a kitchen towel and place 3 tbs of pork and prawns mince. Roll up the cabbage tightly and put it on a plate.
    Repeat the rest of the cabbage leaves. Place the plate into a steamer. Steam on gentle heat for 10 to 15 minutes.

In the mean time, make the sauce. You'll need:
    1 cup of chicken stock
    1 tbs of oyster sauce
    1 tbs of light soy
    a few drops sesame oil
    dash of Chinese cooking wine (optional)
    dash of white pepper
    a bit of cornflour mixed with cold water

Place all sauce ingredients in a wok and when it comes to a boil, thicken with a little corn flour-water mixture.

Pour the sauce all over the steamed rolls. Serve at once.

Advertisement