Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you get down to the baily lighthouse

Options
  • 11-06-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Looking for routes to the baily lighthouse in howth. I know this road leads to the lighthouse as i drove partially down it until i came to a house saying private property one day so didn't go any further. Apparently the whole road is private :confused:

Baily Lighthouse

Anyway.. someone has the know the quickest route down to the lighthouse?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You don't, it is private property unless you know the right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

You can walk down the road as it's a right of way for Pedestrians and horses. you cannot enter the lighthouse grounds as they're private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

teR_ wrote: »
    Looking for routes to the baily lighthouse in howth. I know this road leads to the lighthouse as i drove partially down it until i came to a house saying private property one day so didn't go any further. Apparently the whole road is private :confused:

Baily Lighthouse

Anyway.. someone has the know the quickest route down to the lighthouse?!

Take the Howth-Dun Laoghaire ferry and you'll get a nice up-close view of it from below. As to actually reaching it by land, like all lighthouses in service in Ireland, it's owned by the state and so is private. BUT you can get a tour of it from time to time (I went once during the Howth festival) - getting an interested group of say 5 people or so together and writing a polite letter to the lighthouse might well get you a tour. It's worth a visit if you're allowed, it has a lighthouse museum inside it and you can visit the top of the actual lighthouse tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Iv been down there a few times and we just park at the summit car park and take the path down. The gate was opened when I was there once and we walked on the path up pretty close with out going in.

The best view is a boat trip from Howth harbour. It gets you up very close and shows the lighthouse in a dramatic way.

//www.flickr.com/photos/25899546@N03/8237074759/

www.flickr.com/photos/25899546@N03/8237074759/

Advertisement