Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the vet be the one who registers a microchipped pet?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I chipped my dog here in Cork. Same thing. All I did was to input the details as soon as I got home. Quick and easy and takes 2 minutes. Even if the vet did input the details on the database, I would still check it for myself to ensure the details were correct. Why on earth would you pay for something and not get the full benefit? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

No, you're right, it makes no sense, but unfortunately is the reality for a huge number of microchips. If all chips were registered properly, then dogs could be reunited with their owners very quickly. Check any pound site or page on FB, you will see so many dogs with chip not registered on them. People are weird creatures. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

muddypaws wrote: »
    No, you're right, it makes no sense, but unfortunately is the reality for a huge number of microchips. If all chips were registered properly, then dogs could be reunited with their owners very quickly. Check any pound site or page on FB, you will see so many dogs with chip not registered on them. People are weird creatures. :rolleyes:

This is what I don't get. When you go to microchip an animal, you're given an information pack. In the pack, you get the chip no.; a form to complete with the details if you want to send via the post; details of the website; details of HOW to register the chip and a reminder form so that you know what you've put down in the details. Do people not READ this info??

This is what I don't get. When you go to microchip an animal, you're given an information pack. In the pack, you get the chip no.; a form to complete with the details if you want to send via the post; details of the website; details of HOW to register the chip and a reminder form so that you know what you've put down in the details. Do people not READ this info??

Honestly - probably not.

You have way more faith in humanity than I do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Whiteflag12

I got a dog from a breeder 4 years ago. She was chipped and registered according to the breeder with my details. It was only about a year later that I had her in the vets and I asked the vet to scan her to see what details came up for her..... low and behold nothing was logged against her. I couldn't believe it. I had paid €50 to make sure it was all registered etc. Ended up registering her myself with fido.ie
    Vet mentioned that some breeders register in their county only.... I live in different county to the breeder. Not sure how true this is though ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Vet mentioned that some breeders register in their county only.... I live in different county to the breeder. Not sure how true this is though ?

No, I think you were misinformed :o
    Once a dog's chip is registered to one of the databases (there are three in Ireland.. go figure :rolleyes:), then it's there for anyone with access to that database to see, anywhere in the world, once they have your dog's code. Nobody can see that code until they scan the dog (or you, your vet, and the breeder, who presumably have a written record of it).
    Does that make sense? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

DBB, there's FIDO, Animark and... What's the third one? :P

boomerang wrote: »
    DBB, there's FIDO, Animark and... What's the third one? :P

Pet Trace, the DSPCA one!

DBB wrote: »

theres another one then, can't remember the name of it, but its the one that Canine Ireland registered dogs have.

muddypaws wrote: »
    theres another one then, can't remember the name of it, but its the one that Canine Ireland registered dogs have.

I'd forgotten about them, given that their database is somewhat inconsequential (with good reason :o)
    Is it Petnet? The site is still under development. Not very reassuring. But then, that's how I feel about Canine Ireland in general too :D

I'd forgotten about them, given that their database is somewhat inconsequential (with good reason :o)
    Is it Petnet? The site is still under development. Not very reassuring. But then, that's how I feel about Canine Ireland in general too :D

it could be Petnet, chips usually start 972 I think, but come up as unregistered unless you are very, very, very special. :P

• Advertisement

Thanks DBB! Josie is registered with Animark. Anyone know if FIDO are amenable to adding an Animark-chipped dog to their database?

Boo and Ams were both FIDO-chipped and I just paid a small fee to Animark to get them on their database too.

FIDO is way more user-friendly!

boomerang wrote: »
    Thanks DBB! Josie is registered with Animark. Anyone know if FIDO are amenable to adding an Animark-chipped dog to their database?

Fido have no problem with registering any microchip :)
    They are just great to deal with, I'm at the stage now where I don't really bother registering rescue dogs (or my own, for that matter!) with any other database other than Fido. As you say, very user-friendly, but will also break their butts to help in any way they can.

Cool! I'll pop them an email. :)

Advertisement