Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like HMV in Crescent is to re-open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Already mentioned in the "Limerick businesses opening" thread afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's a pity the Crescent got it over town.
    I know it was the more profitable shop but if they chose to reopen in town it might have brought people in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

It's great news isn't it? I spotted the jobs for Limerick this afternoon and put them in the sticky "need a job" thread. Linky for anyone who might be interested.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It's a pity the Crescent got it over town.
    I know it was the more profitable shop but if they chose to reopen in town it might have brought people in.

The rent in town was 180000/p.a. I wonder what the Cresent rent is?

FutureGuy wrote: »

Wow! Not as much as that anyway I'd say. The crescent store is a better lay out IMO and probably gets more business than cruises street due to parking, convenience etc. Still great to have at least one HMV back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wallack

One question now that you talk about Crescent. What is the best bus line to go there? I'm new in Limerick and have no clue! Thanks.

Wallack wrote: »
    One question now that you talk about Crescent. What is the best bus line to go there? I'm new in Limerick and have no clue! Thanks.

The one that I told you about when you were looking to get to the regional hospital stops outside the crescent. It's also walkable from the city centre too. Takes about 35 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You can also throw in a very hefty figure for the rates in town for that particular unit.

The rent for the unit in the Crescent is less than the town unit and also has the advantage of the far higher footfall that comes with being in the Crescent shopping centre. I know exactly what it was when that unit was last occupied, and would imagine that there will not be a dramatic difference if they take the very same unit again.

Going to the Crescent is the smarter move, and it is no surprise the town unit has been bypassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Great news. I really thought the days of buying CDs in Limerick were over, or at least gone for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wallack

shaaane wrote: »
    The one that I told you about when you were looking to get to the regional hospital stops outside the crescent. It's also walkable from the city centre too. Takes about 35 mins

Thanks! I will go this weekend, I used to walk to Showtime Cinema but I think that shopping centre is a best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

image.jpg
    The rent in town was 180000/p.a.

According to last week’s Irish Times, the former HMV store in town is now available at a rent of €160,000 per annum.

Who knows maybe the Hilco company behind the Crescent HMV might show interest in the city centre store yet, if the rent was more favourable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hilco also bought Xtra Vision recently so they may combine the two outlets. From a business point of view choosing the Crescent SC over the city was surely a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hilco also bought Xtra Vision recently so they may combine the two outlets. From a business point of view choosing the Crescent SC over the city was surely a no brainer.

They may have bought Xtravision but no right minded business person would continue with that business using it's current model. They could change the name and move into a new premises such as Cruises Street.

Imagine PC Word and Currys. Same company, nearly identical range and two shops in every town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

It was reported in the Times that the owners are trying to secure further units in Dublin, Cork, Galway, and Limerick. Hopefully they realised what a terrible layout the Cruises St. store had and decided to seek an alternative spot in the city.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    They may have bought Xtravision but no right minded business person would continue with that business using it's current model. They could change the name and move into a new premises such as Cruises Street.

Imagine PC Word and Currys. Same company, nearly identical range and two shops in every town.

Three in most cities when DSG were pushing the Dixons outlets.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Three in most cities when DSG were pushing the Dixons outlets.

Ya we had that here in Limerick actually. Currys on William street was formerly Dixons AFAIK and then you had the other two out in the retail park

pigtown wrote: »
    It was reported in the Times that the owners are trying to secure further units in Dublin, Cork, Galway, and Limerick. Hopefully they realised what a terrible layout the Cruises St. store had and decided to seek an alternative spot in the city.

What about the Old Dunnes unit across from Brown Thomas? That's got an upstairs too.

What about the Old Dunnes unit across from Brown Thomas? That's got an upstairs too.

Sounds like a great location actually. Chuck a KFC into where HMV is now. :D

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Sounds like a great location actually. Chuck a KFC into where HMV is now. :D

Beer Baron, you and I are on the same page.

Isn't there a bank moving some of it's already Limerick based operation from either the Dock road or Henry street to one of the empty buildings across from Brown Thomas? They announced it last week that they were moving their offices to that location.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Kess73 wrote: »
    Isn't there a bank moving some of it's already Limerick based operation from either the Dock road or Henry street to one of the empty buildings across from Brown Thomas? They announced it last week that they were moving their offices to that location.

That's KBC bank. They're moving into the empty building next to the Brazen Head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Dunnes unit across from Brown thomas would be an ideal location for HMV

Mc Love wrote: »
    The Dunnes unit across from Brown thomas would be an ideal location for HMV

Given they only want to open one unit in Limerick, they would have been mad to have gone with the city centre over the Crescent shopping centre.

Higher footfall, cheaper rent, no real impact upon business by weather, late night opening hours with plenty of customers during those hours, easy parking...the list just goes on and on. The city centre can offer HMV nothing that the shopping centre does not improve upon.

Now from a wanting to see growth in the city pov it would be fantastic to see businesses like them opening in the city centre, but from a purely business pov it would be stupid for any retailer to open a unit in the city centre if a similar sized unit was available in the Crescent SC for less money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant argue with that - infact I was down in the Crescent yesterday and with the way the weather was, it was jammers!

hmv went out of business cas theyre prices are insane . when they return will they learn ? maybe no

hmv went out of business cas theyre prices are insane . when they return will they learn ? maybe no

Popular stuff was competitively priced with other bricks and mortar shops but stuff you might want that's not sold in high volume was over priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

I'm delighted to see HMV back, pity they're going to the Crescent rather than the city though. Very surprised to read that rent in the Crescent is cheaper than the city, thought it would be the other way around.

On HMV's costs, I bought most of my stuff there on sale ( approx 3 CD's and 1 DVD a month ) Very rarely anything at full price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

when is it opening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

No they weren't, new release games were often 10-15 quid cheaper than gamestop, and their sales were fantastic. back catalogue stuff was pricey alright but that can easily be gotten on sale or online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Looks like its re-opening mid August

Advertisement