Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fireplace plus insert stove for around or under 2k. Possible?

• 11-06-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Is it actually possible to get a fireplace plus insert stove for around or under 2k eur?

Fitted would be a plus but maybe I am asking for you too much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

it is possible, stanley cara insert stove is about 900 new. You can buy cheaper stoves but i cant fault our cara.. we had it fitted and a new marble fireplace with cast iron insert for around the stove for 1200. We had existing hearth so didnt need that.. it depends then whether you need a flu liner or not, if you do it will add considerably to the cost. We actually bought our stove secondhand for 450, but its practically new.. its rare someone sells but i found an owner who was replacing his with a boiler model.. total cost to us 1650

finished product

http://i40.tinypic.com/2zg965w.jpg

Galego wrote: »
    Is it actually possible to get a fireplace plus insert stove for around or under 2k eur?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Looks very nice Mick.:)

I went with a Stovax Riva 66 multi fuel insert stove.

But I had to have the existing fireplace completely demolished and then rebuilt to suit the large size of a Riva 66.

I wanted the stove to sit into the chimney breast around 1 foot up off the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

+1 with the Cara Inset. I fitted mine & find it absolutely brilliant.
    I went for the enamel finish.

shane0007 wrote: »
    +1 with the Cara Inset. I fitted mine & find it absolutely brilliant.
    I went for the enamel finish.

Yeah we lit ours last night and it's amazing the heat it gives off into the room. In a weird way I can't wait for winter to get a right feel for it!

In a weird way I can't wait for winter to get a right feel for it!

Lol, I know what you mean!

• Advertisement

Pic of mine...

Pic of mine...
    That looks great the way it's raised up. Was the fireplace always that high?

Yes, we built it that way. Have storage for logs & buckets underneath. Also having it raised, you really get the blast of heat from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Pic of mine...

Shane I'm very disappointed in you watching eastenders what were you thinking

Galego wrote: »

It is possible I have a Stanley cara and I think it's a great stove I also have fitted around 50 of them and have had no complaints.Alot depends on your fireplace you can do something basic for around €500-€600 and the stove.Also the Stanley is a mid pried stove at around €1000 there is a lot cheaper ones

• Advertisement

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Shane I'm very disappointed in you watching eastenders what were you thinking

Funny how you knew it was Eastenders!
    Hmmm....

Believe me, I would rather watch paint dry. I have no say with the remote with 3 females around me.

Hmmm....

Believe me, I would rather watch paint dry. I have no say with the remote with 3 females around me.

We all believe you.Honestly your honor it wasn't me yeah we heard it before

Sorry OP - off your original topic..

Shane - what fuel do you mainly use in your Cara? So far im using coal to light it with briquettes and kindling - then we use some briquettes, turf and eco wood logs from Top garages that someone recommended to us. They are basically like two standard peat briquttes stuck together but made of wood.. they are a fiver a bail.. they burn very clean and give off fairly good heat. I was thinking though for the winter of buying a load of logs to burn in the stove, and i know its important to get dry ones! Anyone have suggestions for a supplier with good size logs (for a stove) and dry in north county dublin? There's a guy in lissenhall that doe crates of logs so I might take a spin there at some stage. My father reckons ash is the way to go if you can get it. We dont want to burn much coal as my wife has a set on it, as she reckons its bad for our daughters asthma..

Also quick query re cleaning out the ashes of the stove - usually when im cleaning out there are ash deposits stuck at the front bars, and i brush this away - but its hard to do without making a mess so i nearly always end up having to use a dust buster to hoover the hearth afterwards.. anyone got tips on cleaning out?

Btw - have to give serious props to waterford stanley - our stove is secondhand but they have sent me out a new ash pan, riddling tool, side plates and top baffles for our stove already under warranty... the top baffles were fine but the original side plates had developed cracks in them.. and the original ash pan had warped slightly so was hard to get in/out.

I see a lot of people complaining about how hard it is to get parts for some stoves - especially the cheaper ones and from my experience with stanley so far replacement parts are not an issue!

Cheers,
    Mick
    Hmmm....

Never burn coal. It will destroy your stove. It has trapped gases within it that act like a flame thrower. You will see blue flames coming out of the coals. This is the gas. Manufactured coals do not have this.
    I use kindling to light. A few cubes of Ecobrite & a well seasoned hardwood log. Adjust the air baffles to suit the fuel. It uses very little to keep going & burns very clean.

Always sweep the chimney again one month after its first burn. It makes a huge difference on the cleanliness of future burns.

The remains of what you are finding difficult to clean are due to what you are burning.

Using the air wash also ensures the glass is clear, still give it a wipe in the morning.

Never burn coal. It will destroy your stove. It has trapped gases within it that act like a flame thrower. You will see blue flames coming out of the coals. This is the gas. Manufactured coals do not have this.
    I use kindling to light. A few cubes of Ecobrite & a well seasoned hardwood log. Adjust the air baffles to suit the fuel. It uses very little to keep going & burns very clean.

Always sweep the chimney again one month after its first burn. It makes a huge difference on the cleanliness of future burns.

The remains of what you are finding difficult to clean are due to what you are burning.

Using the air wash also ensures the glass is clear, still give it a wipe in the morning.

Thanks Shane - where do you buy the ecobrite? We are up and down a bit to sligo and can get it along the way but i dont see it that often around dublin!

I use supacite its a manufactured fuel never use normal coal/polish or the likes.
    You could also try this crowd
    http://hayesfuels.ie/coal-products-for-sale-in-the-republic-of-ireland.php

Hi Robbie, where do you source the supacite?

Cheers,
    Mick
    Robbie.G wrote: »
    I use supacite its a manufactured fuel never use normal coal/polish or the likes.
    You could also try this crowd
    http://hayesfuels.ie/coal-products-for-sale-in-the-republic-of-ireland.php

Hi Robbie, where do you source the supacite?

Cheers,
    Mick

I just get it off my local distributor.All coal merchants have fuel that's suitable for stoves you can use Antracite or nearly any manufactured fuel just check with your supplier

Thanks Shane - where do you buy the ecobrite? We are up and down a bit to sligo and can get it along the way but i dont see it that often around dublin!

Ecobrite can be bought from any merchant that sells smokeless fuels. It is very readily available. Cost is €17 per bag

Briquettes,logs and turf for me.

Some BnM Gems coal,from time to time.

House is so well insulated that I cant really put on a big fire in the stove,as it just gets too hot,and windows have to be opened.

• Advertisement

I personally would not be a lover of turf as it is a very dirty fuel & really can soot up a stove & chimney.

I personally would not be a lover of turf as it is a very dirty fuel & really can spot up a stove & chimney.

I only burn the odd bag of it,as it reminds my missus of her country herritage.:)

Mostly logs and some briquettes/gems coal mixed in with the logs.

Liner and stove gets a regular cleaning and servicing.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

If you are traveling from Dublin to Sligo during the week - the ARIGNA mine isn't too far off the N4, you turn off the N4 a bit before you get to Lough Key Forest Park (on the Carrick-On-Shannon side) - The sell to the public. We have bought a product called "Seconds / Rejects" from them - It is basically a mixed bag of EcoBrite & CosyGlo. The bag we have currently open is predominately EcoBrite but it is a mixed bag. Before the carbon tax went on the 40Kg bags were €12 a bag, not sure what they are now. We stocked up for next winter at the end of April

You can also buy the EcoBrite direct from them too - not sure if it is any cheaper than in shops

We are very happy with the product - bought a tonne last winter and have bought more for the coming winter

emg74 wrote: »
    If you are traveling from Dublin to Sligo during the week - the ARIGNA mine isn't too far off the N4, you turn off the N4 a bit before you get to Lough Key Forest Park (on the Carrick-On-Shannon side) - The sell to the public. We have bought a product called "Seconds / Rejects" from them - It is basically a mixed bag of EcoBrite & CosyGlo. The bag we have currently open is predominately EcoBrite but it is a mixed bag. Before the carbon tax went on the 40Kg bags were €12 a bag, not sure what they are now. We stocked up for next winter at the end of April

You can also buy the EcoBrite direct from them too - not sure if it is any cheaper than in shops

We are very happy with the product - bought a tonne last winter and have bought more for the coming winter

Thats what quite a few people have done allright with solid fuels,myself included.

Better to be looking at,than looking for it.....:)

Pic of mine...

That looks a great job. Nice.

When you say a tonne do you mean a tonne. How did you get that home ?
    Thanks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Yes, A tonne (25 x 40kg bags) - DH has a pickup for his business so we brought it home in that. We live about 45min drive from the mine

We went a couple of days before the carbon tax went on and as we got near the mine we met so many cars / jeeps towing trailers full of loose coal etc

Yes, A tonne (25 x 40kg bags) - DH has a pickup for his business so we brought it home in that. We live about 45min drive from the mine

We went a couple of days before the carbon tax went on and as we got near the mine we met so many cars / jeeps towing trailers full of loose coal etc

Pickups back wheels and loadbay scraping along the ground on the way home...:pac::D

Thanks for that, you have given me an idea there...........:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement