Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good looking pistols

Options
  • 11-06-2013 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I realize how this can potentially infuriate purists which this forum is full of.

Since shooting is just for fun, I think the question is still legitimate:

After looking at the regulations in the country, I realize there are limitations (size of the barrel, number of shots, .22LR only, ..)

It's all fine by me. The only thing is when I look at the guns they all look bulky, out of The Logan's Run.

I've seen the Ruger SR-22 but it is too short (restricted)...

Any cool looking and yet durable pistol?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

Smith and Wesson 617?? If I was to get one I'd look at something like that or else a 1911.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Are ya thinking along the lines of compacts pistols in .22 cal? Walther P22, etc?

Or are you thinking along the lines of a full size Glock, Sig 226 in .22cal?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Define cool :D
    I mean, I think these look pretty cool...

mg2z.jpg

ssp_gross_2700000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Cass wrote: »
    Are ya thinking along the lines of compacts pistols in .22 cal? Walther P22, etc?

Or are you thinking along the lines of a full size Glock, Sig 226 in .22cal?

Actually both! I checked out the Walther P22 it is nice!

I like "normal" pistols/revolver. Glocks for ex.

I had one of these until recently.

220Xzone.jpg

Lovely pistol, accurate as all hell, etc. Got a little tired of the weight, and considered changing to .22 or getting another license to hold the 9mm too. Ended up just selling it. I never had a problem with my licenses. Always got them when up for renewal.

I decided to sell itm and when the time is right get back into pistols but in .22. Going a little off track, but my point is nothing else takes my fancy so i thought about seeing what pistols are currently for sale in dealer right now, and then licensing one of them in .22. IOW buy in a conversion kit, and change out the gun from whatever caliber it's in.

Maybe thats an option for ya. Look for a Glock, apply for a license, and get a conversion kit for it. Now you have the gun style you like in the caliber you can have?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Define cool :D

Pistols/revolvers that look and feel like the bigger calibers:

In the following video (3:40), the guy says "it's nice and heavy just like the real one"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xscORRl73SU

I like:
    Glock 17/19
    Colt .357 Magnum Python (22LR counterpart would requiere some plugs i nthe cylinder)
    The Walther P22 mentioned above looks nice. Is this not too small like the Ruger 22?

Nice!

9mm? you must be in the circle of trust. I won't be allowed these.

I wasn't aware of "conversion kits" that sounds interesting.

Thanks!

Cass wrote: »
    I had one of these until recently.

220Xzone.jpg

Lovely pistol, accurate as all hell, etc. Got a little tired of the weight, and considered changing to .22 or getting another license to hold the 9mm too. Ended up just selling it. I never had a problem with my licenses. Always got them when up for renewal.

I decided to sell itm and when the time is right get back into pistols but in .22. Going a little off track, but my point is nothing else takes my fancy so i thought about seeing what pistols are currently for sale in dealer right now, and then licensing one of them in .22. IOW buy in a conversion kit, and change out the gun from whatever caliber it's in.

Maybe thats an option for ya. Look for a Glock, apply for a license, and get a conversion kit for it. Now you have the gun style you like in the caliber you can have?

It wasn't an easy choice to make, but with the reduction in use, reduction in my ability to compete it was the right choice for me. While i had no problems getting the licenses i did notice the renewals were getting harder and harder.

Here is the conversion kit for a P226, for a Glock. I'm sure most guns would have a similar kit available. So you might be able to go for the gun you want in the caliber you can license.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Pistols/revolvers that look and feel like the bigger calibers
    Wouldn't be my cup of tea - seems like buying a box of Celebrations because they look like the real thing instead of buying a box of decent chocolates ;) But to each their own, it'd be boring if we were all identical. Though having said that, one point...
    The Walther P22 mentioned above looks nice.
    Every person I know who can shoot pistol and who has tried a P22 has slated it as being horrible. Too small, horribly inaccurate, and there's a wealth of stories out there of broken slides and other nasty things. Honestly, as nice as it looks in photos, I'd avoid it like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Cz kadet, lovely pistol, very well made but they have gone a bit expensive. Issc in Austria make a .22lr look alike glock, I don't know what they are like though, could be junk. A lot of .22 pistols are sadly rubbish, pot metal rip offs of larger pistols such as the colt 1911 etc.

http://www.issc.at/m22.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I wouldn't set my heart on a pistol that isn't in the guidelines. Some Supers won't issue licences for pistols that aren't on the approved list.

Yes, by all means apply for what you want, but I know a few lads who didn't get the gun they wanted because it wasn't on "the list".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Nice!

9mm? you must be in the circle of trust. I won't be allowed these.

I wasn't aware of "conversion kits" that sounds interesting.

Thanks!

Had the H&K 9mm, the S&W 357 magnum Revolver,and the Taurus Tracker .22 Magnum Revolver S/Steel with 8" barrel and scope (was busting clays out to nearly 150yrds with the taurus):), no problem getting renewals,sold them recently,wasnt my cup of tea,prefer shotguns and rifles,got bored shooting at paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I have more than enough experience with one of these and to be honest, im not a big fan, hate the DAO trigger and just dont like the fit in my hands but i do think it looks nice :)

SIG226.jpg

If I could have anything, it would be one of these in .40 S&W. They fit my hand perfectly and I think they look awesome. Also, im a big fan of the trapezoid sights.

Steyr_M.jpg

m40-sightpic.jpg

For a .22lr, if i was to go down that road again, I would have to go for a ruger mk2 w/ bull barrel.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I wouldn't set my heart on a pistol that isn't in the guidelines.
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    "the list".

Is the list available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Is the list available?

Way to many people think that the "LIST" is the bee all and end all.... its not ! It clearly states that the list is not exhaustable, so simply ignore it, whats more important is the following
    A. Are you a registered member of a recognised pistol club.
    B. Are you an entitled person to have a pistol.
    C. Do you meet the required security requirements
    Thats is the points that you will or wont get a licence.( BTW I do mean a .22lr)
    The type of pistol you chosse is personal choice, blond or redhead :).
    I had a P22 and it was great never had a problem with it, a lot of dick swinning goes on with pistol holders, try as many as you can out & then buy the one YOU like and can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

I have the beretta 87 target it's a nice looking gun and its accurate. I've also just purchassed a ruger mark iii hunter in stainless steel.

Way to many people think that the "LIST" is the bee all and end all.... its not ! It clearly states that the list is not exhaustable, so simply ignore it, whats more important is the following
    Thats is the points that you will or wont get a licence.( BTW I do mean a .22lr)
    I had a P22 and it was great never had a problem with it, a lot of dick swinning goes on with pistol holders, try as many as you can out & then buy the one YOU like and can afford.

While I agree with everything that you have said above, I'm simply stating that some Supers won't go "off list" no matter what reasons you give for wanting that particular firearm.

From yapping to lads in the club this weekend and last, I've now spoken to 4 lads in the club who have told me that they bought Sigs (.22lr and restricted to 5 shots) and have been refused licences for them or had the licences revoked for no other reason than the gun is a Sig and the Super won't licence them.

The ruger mk3 or browning buckmark are better pistols for not much more money anyway and are both on the list.

rowa wrote: »
    The ruger mk3 or browning buckmark are better pistols for not much more money anyway and are both on the list.

Do you know if the beretta 87 on the list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

The beretta 87 is on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

BillBen wrote: »
    The beretta 87 is on the list.

And its a very good choice imo

I'd also throw the S&W Model41 into the ring too - Have one myself, great gun, far more accurate than I am....and it looks GOOD too!

Fantastic grips, nice weight/heft to the pistol, and even though it's very definitely a target pistol....it still looks like a 'real gun' ;)

dCorbus wrote: »
    And its a very good choice imo

I'd also throw the S&W Model41 into the ring too - Have one myself, great gun, far more accurate than I am....and it looks GOOD too!

Fantastic grips, nice weight/heft to the pistol, and even though it's very definitely a target pistol....it still looks like a 'real gun' ;)

I'd say the model 41 would be a vastly superior pistol to the beretta 87, the beretta is basically a pocket pistol (the cheetah) converted to a target pistol, the trigger is known to be poor and the grip is very small (don't take my word for it read about it on rimfirecentral.com). The smith was designed as a target pistol from the off and is a very desirable gun.

Nice!

How would you compare the S&W 41 to the Ruger Mark 3 Hunter/Target?
    rowa wrote: »
    I'd say the model 41 would be a vastly superior pistol to the beretta 87, the beretta is basically a pocket pistol (the cheetah) converted to a target pistol, the trigger is known to be poor and the grip is very small (don't take my word for it read about it on rimfirecentral.com). The smith was designed as a target pistol from the off and is a very desirable gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

Nice!

How would you compare the S&W 41 to the Ruger Mark 3 Hunter/Target?

Out of the box, the Model 41 is a tack driver with a great trigger which breaks crisply at 2 lbs, with no drag. They are however expensive €1700+ and practically impossible to buy new at the moment. The Mark 3's are more readily available and while the trigger is not as nice as the 41's it can be tuned and upgraded. Volquartsen make some upgrade parts and also sell modified and tuned guns, but i don't know if these are available here. https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/15-complete-firearms,20-volquartsen-mkiii-custom-pistols

S & W 41

I think we have a winner here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_kzs01U1l8

Is this one on the list?

S & W 41

I think we have a winer here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_kzs01U1l8

Is this one on the list?

Its a S&W 22a in high heels and a mini dress :)

Its a S&W 22a in high heels and a mini dress :)

definitely a winner in my book :D

definitely a winner in my book :D

Go for it dude, its what you like and thats all that matters, the only thing I would say is try one out before you buy it, sometimes it doesnt be all it might be.
    I had a Walther P22 & have a Sig Mosquito, both perfect despite the bitching sone lads do about them, never had a problem with either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Asporadic

I had a kadet and I reckon it must have been a monday morning gun. Or maybe just CZ suck when it comes to pistols. Im not sure what the problem was, but either way, it was without a doubt the worst firearm Ive ever owned. At the time I had owned 3 CZ rifles and as anyone will tell ya, its very hard to beat a CZ rifle. Based on that I figured I couldnt go wrong with a CZ pistol. I sent it for repairs 3 times in the first year and on the 4th time I just said to hell with it and got a berretta 87.

The Berretta is just OK. Its not terrible, but its nothing to write home about either. And as Rowa said, the trigger isnt great and there was a bit of an issue with the mag. Check google, they're common complaints.

About 8 months later I was on the range one day and by pure chance I got talking to chap who had a S&W 41 and he showed it to me. I fell in love with it, it shot great, it felt great, it looked great, it was just a great gun. I took my phone out and called my dealer up there and then and ordered one.

That was about 2 years ago and Ive never had a moments regret. Its lightyears ahead of the Kadet and Berretta.

Advertisement