Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 15R Repair Quickfire Questions...

Options
  • 11-06-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

If I replace a hard drive do I loose everything from laptop?
    Are all 320GB Hard drives interchangeable?
    Can I use a ATA HD in my Dell Inspiron? (Got it from a samsung x22)
    How do I know what size RAM I have by looking at them?
    It is easy to replace the HD myself?
    Is it possible to fix a broken internal webcam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

1. No. Your data is still on the drive you've removed from the laptop.
    It's just a matter of connecting the old drive in some way to retrieve it !

2. If the interface is the same - SATA or PATA - and the physical sizes are the same - 2.5" or 3.5" - then yes.

3. Only if the one you took out was ATA. An ATA (IDE or PATA) drive will not connect to a SATA interface.

4. By entering the BIOS (F2 on most Dells I think).

5. Yes. Assuming you've got the right type of drive for your computer then it's a matter of removing a cover on the underside of the laptop and removing the old drive then inserting the new drive in the reverse order to the removal.

6. Depends on how "broken it is !

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

OP, what type of Inspiron 15R is it? I have a 15R N5110 and the person who designed it should be shot. It isn't possible to get to the HDD without disassembling the entire laptop, it's mounted directly to the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

OP, what type of Inspiron 15R is it? I have a 15R N5110 and the person who designed it should be shot. It isn't possible to get to the HDD without disassembling the entire laptop, it's mounted directly to the motherboard.

It's Inspiron N5030. Seems to be much the same though. Very hard to get at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Advertisement