Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

spraying spuds

• 11-06-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I planted earlies (sharpes express) and main crop (kerr pinks) around easter time. its my first time growing spuds so im looking for a little advice. i sprayed with with diathane last friday. how often do i need to spray them. any other stuff i shud be doing with them? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Henwin wrote: »
    I planted earlies (sharpes express) and main crop (kerr pinks) around easter time. its my first time growing spuds so im looking for a little advice. i sprayed with with diathane last friday. how often do i need to spray them. any other stuff i shud be doing with them? thanks

I'd spray every two weeks or 10 days depeding on conditions, the farming forcast on a Sunday issued a blight warning for this week so you did well to spray them on Friday this forcast is also available on the RTE player.

Who turned you onto the sharps express ?? they are a lovely spud but be warned thery are addictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Only spray them when you need to, there will be blight warnings on met.ie, maybe on the gardening forum here, and on other gardening forums. There are also directions on the dithane tin I believe.

Tomato feed is good for them, as is seaweed or mature dung when planting. I put Epson salts on mine last year at one stage, can't quite remember for what though, nothing sown this year, hadn't the time.

Love the smell of digging up fresh spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

thanks cool, they were the only available earlies in the store i got them. havent tried them before so looking forward to trying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Just keep them weed free & spray when warning in met.ie, I have sprayed this way for the last 2 years & haven't got blight.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

I'm dieing for a feed of sharps express all you need is butter and maybe salt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Anyone or everyone digging spuds yet? they are barly meeting in the drills yet here and the foliage dosen,t appear too heavy .......duke of York and brittish queens...

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

planted Charlottes (2nd earlies) in late February, planted deep to avoid frosts and am digging now
    Done it this way to avoid blight season for 3 years now and seems to have worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I believe Dithane is no longer on sale. Alternatives on sale are Burgandy and Bordeaux mixtures - the old bluestone and washing soda that I remember being used years ago!
    Is there any replacement for Dithane? I don't want to have the hassle of mixing up the copper sulfate and washing soda in the small quantities that I would need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Rosahane wrote: »
    I believe Dithane is no longer on sale. Alternatives on sale are Burgandy and Bordeaux mixtures - the old bluestone and washing soda that I remember being used years ago!
    Is there any replacement for Dithane? I don't want to have the hassle of mixing up the copper sulfate and washing soda in the small quantities that I would need?

It's still on sale.

It's still on sale.

Any idea where? I understood that it has been de-regulated or something. It's not in any of the garden centres that previously stocked it around here this year.

• Advertisement

http://www.syngenta.com/country/ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/Product_Guide/Shirlan_irl_product_label.pdf

I use shirlan, it can be got in any agri store, expensive enough, but 25ml does 20L
    A

Askim wrote: »
    http://www.syngenta.com/country/ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/Product_Guide/Shirlan_irl_product_label.pdf

I use shirlan, it can be got in any agri store, expensive enough, but 25ml does 20L
    A

Thanks, I'll look out for it. At that concentration a litre should see me out :D

Any blight effecting the spuds in the current weather....

Sprayed Monday so hopefully not, only 2 time this year

A

None here yet North Kildare, but this muggy weather will probably bring it on.

Sprayed my few drills last week, probably repeat at the weekend. I sprayed almost weekly last year and kept the blight at bay.

Sprayed always on warnings ect........about 6-8 of my plants (roosters) went very perished very quickly in a sizable plot of potatoes......only black spots ect on the rest of them kerr pinks & golden wonders.

Was that blight?....potatoes themselves were unaffected.

Advertisement