Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone actually buying xbox one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

If what, that might prove, that those ps4 games were actually running on dev kits?

Was the xbox using a 2013 GTX card does anyone know? if it was using a 600 series card then it could have been the dev kits from mid/late 2012 before AMD won the contract. of they're using 700 series/titan then they might be trying to bait and switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

NTMK wrote: »
    Was the xbox using a 2013 GTX card does anyone know? if it was using a 600 series card then it could have been the dev kits from mid/late 2012 before AMD won the contract. of they're using 700 series/titan then they might be trying to bait and switch

It said 700 series which have only been out a few weeks so definitely 2013 cards. Not sure which model though.

I have no plans to get an Xbox One since there don't really seem to be any exclusives that interest me right now but then I said the same thing about the PS3 at launch last time and I ended up getting one of those after a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The Xbox press conference had technical hiccups too, and I'd say they were worse than sony's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jaffusmax wrote: »

Surely EA shutting down the multiplayer servers for games in COMPLETELY different from a 24 hour check in policy. One requires dedicated servers, resources, support and money. The other is a fairly basic authentication that would just reply on XBOX Live, which MS won't be killing off, only 'improving' over time.

MS shutting down check in servers is absolutely the least of my worries with the XBOX1 and its policies. Just don't see the technical resources required to run it being as vast and resource hungry as a multiplayer server.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

grizzly wrote: »
    Yeah, but how many people actually get banned? Dont you have to have been abusive or caught hacking?

I was banned when I didn't cancel my subscription to XBL and had used a disposable credit card to pay for it. I was locked out off all downloaded games.

I was banned because my address was incorrect. So i changed it and was allowed back in 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Lol 7 years on Xbox Live nearly & never once been banned or suspended.

Btw, I can't wait for the Xbox One to arrive :D

Surely EA shutting down the multiplayer servers for games in COMPLETELY different from a 24 hour check in policy. One requires dedicated servers, resources, support and money. The other is a fairly basic authentication that would just reply on XBOX Live, which MS won't be killing off, only 'improving' over time.

MS shutting down check in servers is absolutely the least of my worries with the XBOX1 and its policies. Just don't see the technical resources required to run it being as vast and resource hungry as a multiplayer server.

For me it boils down to "Trust" I do not trust anything that appears vague and not fully written down in terms and conditions. Any MS exec making comments regarding how safe peoples games are, are worthless as they will be all retired by then and their words are not a binding contract. I don't like having to phone home to mammy and daddy (aka MS) to prove I have been a good boy (24hr sign ins)

I am personally very sad that MS have tried tightened its grip on the Market like this but if some consumers see no problem than all is Rosie for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

DaLad wrote: »
    Lol 7 years on Xbox Live nearly & never once been banned or suspended.

Btw, I can't wait for the Xbox One to arrive :D

Good for you!

Btw, just remember when you finally realize just how crap the xb1 really is and decide to trade it in, you cant.. just like the games :D

• Advertisement

Good for you!

Btw, just remember when you finally realize just how crap the xb1 really is and decide to trade it in, you cant.. just like the games :D

Don't worry, I'll remember people like you whilst I'm enjoying my new Xbox One and loving it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

September a year and a half ago my xbox360 console was banned for reasons Microsoft would not go into with me, I had to except their word that I had some how broken their terms and conditions. They consoled me with the line "it will still work off line" and "your account had not been banned, so suck it up and buy a new xbox"

I didn't except their line and four weeks of fighting with them, and every Microsoft fanboy around the world,(and I took some abuse) it turned our I was right and they had mad a mistake(and they didn't go into the details of the mistake either). Now it was a mistake that just kept me off line, I similar mistake with the xbox one will leave me with a 500 euro paper weight, and every penny spent on games and DLC, is down the drain. Only due to the support I received from guys on boards here, and its well documented here, I would have given up.

I have had a live account with the same gamer tag for the last nine years, I can't recommend anyone invest their money in the new xbox console as it is, its to big a gamble. And not buying it will hopefully show Microsoft the mistake they have made.....again........and will make some changes, and allow me jump back onboard.

Don't worry, I'll remember people like you whilst I'm enjoying my new Xbox One and loving it :)

Hey man, its not my place to say how low you should set your standards next gen.. each to their own i guess :cool:

Hey man, its not my place to say how low you should set your standards next gen.. each to their own i guess :cool:

I have the feeling you're the type of person that would keep replying all day.

It's simple, it's my decision, I have watched every conference for all consoles, games, researched, discussed & researched some more. There are no negative points to the Xbox One for me.

Steam on PC uses DRM too, people complained about that at first but now it's one of the best systems out there. I buy games and never trade them in really anyway, Gamestop and co. are all PRO Ps4 because they're afraid it will hurt their precious used games market. I never trade in to gamestop anyway as they have pure ****e trade in values, they're basically a rip off. I'd rather go out of my way and buy games online than give them money that I don't have to.

24 hour check no problem. It has been stated it is only a couple of KB not even MB so even if someone did have a crap internet connection, they could even use a tethered mobile phone to do the check. I however have a very stable internet connection of 150Mb/10Mb and always on internet which I thought became the norm when they got rid of dial-up....

Kinect being always on, isn't properly confirmed yet, supposedly there will be an option where you can disable it altogether but I will have it plugged in anyway to use the voice commands and maybe the live cam of me in the corner of the screen for live streaming on Twitch. If not I could just hide it behind the tv anyway and still use the mic for speaking and voice commands.

If you or others choose PS4 over Xbox One then all I can say is, enjoy your system! I for one will be an Xbox One & PC user but I don't feel the need to go onto PS4 forums and tell people they're wrong and should choose a different console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't think the xbox one is gonna be a bad console at all. Games look solid enough. Halo's always good. Dead rising 3. Gears of war whatever. Killer instinct. I'm sure there's other stuff I can't remember. And I don't think the idea of an entertainment is necessarily a bad one. What cinches it for me is (apart from my ever so slight fanboy loyalties) I love trading games in. My internet connection is crap to say the least. And I also have a fondness for renting, when its a game I don't care enough to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Good for you!

But you can play used games on your Xbox 1 with the very same method Sony use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I think my past experience, and time sent with Microsoft give me the right to express my opinion. I don't have a playstation so I don't spend any time in their threads. Am I wrong to be upset at the direction xbox is taking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I however have a very stable internet connection of 150Mb/10Mb and always on internet which I thought became the norm when they got rid of dial-up....
    It's not the norm in Ireland for the speeds you're getting. Count yourself as extremely lucky. 2mb is the best it will ever get for me and, there are houses down the road from where I live that can't even get that. It will usually take me 16 hours to download a game off of Steam. So, it will be a problem for some people.

NORTH1 wrote: »
    I think my past experience, and time sent with Microsoft give me the right to express my opinion. I don't have a playstation so I don't spend any time in their threads. Am I wrong to be upset at the direction xbox is taking?

Well its a new generation and we all need a new mindset. I refuse to follow MS down the rabbit hole just because they say "FOLLOW US"

“ There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
    There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.
    But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. ”
    —United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

But you can play used games on your Xbox 1 with the very same method Sony use.

Not sure if your trolling or actually being serious.

Regardless of all the anti consumer bs from MS with their new xb1.
    As a gamer, id be more worried about paying 100e more for hardware upto 50% less powerful then the competition. Ontop of that its now know that all the e3 xb1 footage was running on a windows 7 pc with a gtx700 series gpu... talk about bait and switch. games not even running on the xb1 architecture..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590361

• Advertisement

It's not the norm in Ireland for the speeds you're getting. Count yourself as extremely lucky. 2mb is the best it will ever get for me and, there are houses down the road from where I live that can't even get that. It will usually take me 16 hours to download a game off of Steam. So, it will be a problem for some people.

True, but you don't need the speeds I'm getting to allow the Xbox One to function. That's why they're going with disc based games but with Steams DRM system. Like I've previously mentioned, it will only take a few KB's to do the check once per day anyway so even topping up by €5 with Meteor get's you 50mb of internet along with your free texts & still have the €5 credit. Any decent phone or internet dongle even in a bad reception area would be able to cover the DRM check.

Off topic, but hopefully with Eircom rolling out their fibre network over the next few months, the internet speed will pick up all over Ireland and then there's 4g as well which will help a lot too.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I don't think the xbox one is gonna be a bad console at all. Games look solid enough. Halo's always good. Dead rising 3. Gears of war whatever. Killer instinct. I'm sure there's other stuff I can't remember. And I don't think the idea of an entertainment is necessarily a bad one. What cinches it for me is (apart from my ever so slight fanboy loyalties) I love trading games in. My internet connection is crap to say the least. And I also have a fondness for renting, when its a game I don't care enough to buy.

Don't let the no used games rumour put you off as it's wrong. The Xbox One supports used games. When you buy a used game you will need to pay a fee set by the publisher (if the publisher chooses to charge you one. Ie an online pass but it's for the game). If you get a loan of a game from your friends it will work without any extra charge.

The PS4 is going to use the same system, it is no different from how the games work now.

Microsoft wanted to bring in a system like steam to go digital and force prices down for new games. But thank the 13 year olds on Twitter for scuppering that so they could keep getting screwed over by gamestop.

Short term thinking has held back the consoles for another generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Don't let the no used games rumour put you off as it's wrong. The Xbox One supports used games. When you buy a used game you will need to pay a fee set by the publisher (if the publisher chooses to charge you one. Ie an online pass but it's for the game). If you get a loan of a game from your friends it will work without any extra charge.

The PS4 is going to use the same system, it is no different from how the games work now.

Microsoft wanted to bring in a system like steam to go digital and force prices down for new games. But thank the 13 year olds on Twitter for scuppering that so they could keep getting screwed over by gamestop.

Short term thinking has held back the consoles for another generation.
    resize.php?name=LzM3OC9MT0wtTm8sLXJlYWxseS4tTE9MLTRiMWQ3OTEzMzA0ZGMuanBn&w=550&h=9999&extension=.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

If you get a loan of a game from your friends it will work without any extra charge.

But will it work for him when I give it back? Or will his licence have transferred to me?

It's pretty obvious used games work differently on both machines, I'm having a hard time understanding why you keep saying there's no difference between the two. Maybe you could explain it better than Microsoft?

As a gamer, id be more worried about paying 100e more for hardware upto 50% less powerful then the competition. Ontop of that its now know that all the e3 xb1 footage was running on a windows 7 pc with a gtx700 series gpu... talk about bait and switch. games not even running on the xb1 architecture..

I don't know where you're getting the 50% less powerful than the competition from. I think you're more likely to be the troll in this forum.

As for the games running on PC, yeah, that's normally what happens at e3. Same with Sony & their game trailers. It's no big surprise or anything new. It's running on dev kits, emulators on the pc.

I have the feeling you're the type of person that would keep replying all day.

It's simple, it's my decision, I have watched every conference for all consoles, games, researched, discussed & researched some more. There are no negative points to the Xbox One for me.

Steam on PC uses DRM too, people complained about that at first but now it's one of the best systems out there. I buy games and never trade them in really anyway, Gamestop and co. are all PRO Ps4 because they're afraid it will hurt their precious used games market. I never trade in to gamestop anyway as they have pure ****e trade in values, they're basically a rip off. I'd rather go out of my way and buy games online than give them money that I don't have to.

24 hour check no problem. It has been stated it is only a couple of KB not even MB so even if someone did have a crap internet connection, they could even use a tethered mobile phone to do the check. I however have a very stable internet connection of 150Mb/10Mb and always on internet which I thought became the norm when they got rid of dial-up....

Kinect being always on, isn't properly confirmed yet, supposedly there will be an option where you can disable it altogether but I will have it plugged in anyway to use the voice commands and maybe the live cam of me in the corner of the screen for live streaming on Twitch. If not I could just hide it behind the tv anyway and still use the mic for speaking and voice commands.

If you or others choose PS4 over Xbox One then all I can say is, enjoy your system! I for one will be an Xbox One & PC user but I don't feel the need to go onto PS4 forums and tell people they're wrong and should choose a different console.

"I have the feeling you're the type of person that would keep replying all day."

true, you see in others what your most guilty of your self,
    You posted the comment to get the sort of reply you wanted, and i was kind enough to give it to you. :)

"t's simple, it's my decision, I have watched every conference for all consoles, games, researched, discussed & researched some more. There are no negative points to the Xbox One for me.

Steam on PC uses DRM too"

Steam sales is why steam is good and wildly excepted. When you cut out manufacturing and distribution costs by releasing digital, the consumer should reap some of the benefit. But MS and Sony use the excuse of retailer not stocking any game if its available cheaper on xbl/psn.

"Kinect being always on, isn't properly confirmed yet, supposedly there will be an option where you can disable it altogether but I will have it plugged in anyway to use the voice commands and maybe the live cam of me in the corner of the screen for live streaming on Twitch. If not I could just hide it behind the tv anyway and still use the mic for speaking and voice commands."

If youv done your research, then youd know that it always has to be connected, but can be "switched off" to the point where its only listening.
    But it has to be always listening, so it can respond to the words "xbox on".

"If you or others choose PS4 over Xbox One then all I can say is, enjoy your system! I for one will be an Xbox One & PC user but I don't feel the need to go onto PS4 forums and tell people they're wrong and should choose a different console."

Hey man, enjoy your system by all means. I just get worked up abit when people blindly show loyalty to a company that is trying to **** all over the gaming community.

I don't know where you're getting the 50% less powerful than the competition from. I think you're more likely to be the troll in this forum.

As for the games running on PC, yeah, that's normally what happens at e3. Same with Sony & their game trailers. It's no big surprise or anything new. It's running on dev kits, emulators on the pc.

It has been confirmed that ps4 demos were actually running on ps4 dev kits.
    And yes the xb1 is upto 50 % less powerful then the ps4. do some research so people dont have to spell it out for you...

jblowlgpxr.png

1017221_10151744730080817_1233037212_n.jpg

Not sure if your trolling or actually being serious.

Perfectly serious. Sony announced "We support used games" then whispered but the publishers might charge a fee, as well as the store.

Microsoft said if you buy used games you will have to pay a fee to the publishers if they decide to charge for one as well as paying a fee to the store.

Pretty much the same thing.

The extra 100 euro is a factor but I'm buying a luxury item if I didn't have 500 euro spare a month I wouldn't be spending it on things like a console that runs pretty similar to my pc and ps4.

My thinking is if I don't go out drinking for a month I'll save that 500 and get years of enjoyment out of my Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

True, but you don't need the speeds I'm getting to allow the Xbox One to function. That's why they're going with disc based games but with Steams DRM system. Like I've previously mentioned, it will only take a few KB's to do the check once per day anyway so even topping up by €5 with Meteor get's you 50mb of internet along with your free texts & still have the €5 credit. Any decent phone or internet dongle even in a bad reception area would be able to cover the DRM check.

Off topic, but hopefully with Eircom rolling out their fibre network over the next few months, the internet speed will pick up all over Ireland and then there's 4g as well which will help a lot too.

Yes but, to take full advantage of all of the Xbone's cloud features you're going to need a good Internet connection. Eircom won't be rolling fibre all over Ireland. It's only bringing it to area's where it has competition from the likes of UPC. Eircom doesn't care about anyone living outside those areas. Also, 4g is not going help the situation.

Advertisement