Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone actually buying xbox one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

It has been confirmed that ps4 demos were actually running on ps4 dev kits.

I'm going to ignore you now as I have said what I have had to say without bashing any other console but just giving my reasons for why I choose and Xbox one on an XBOX ONE thread.

Besides that, from your post history even before E3 I can see you have been a PS3 fanboy and bashing MS from the very beginning, so good luck with that Mr. Troll :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-17-you-can-plug-an-xbox-360-into-the-xbox-one-says-major-nelson

According to that article (comments from 'Major Nelson'), being banned from Live won't mean a loss of the games you bought.
    He also talked about bans. Now games are tied to licenses which are in turn tied to Xbox Live accounts, does being banned mean being withheld your game collection?

"Absolutely not," Hryb answered definitively. "You will always have access to the games you've purchased.

To which the interviewer commented: "Yay."

To which Hryb replied: "Yay - really? Come on! You had to expect that."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

DaLad wrote: »

Off topic, but hopefully with Eircom rolling out their fibre network over the next few months, the internet speed will pick up all over Ireland and then there's 4g as well which will help a lot too.

Step away from the city for a sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Perfectly serious. Sony announced "We support used games" then whispered but the publishers might charge a fee, as well as the store.

Microsoft said if you buy used games you will have to pay a fee to the publishers if they decide to charge for one as well as paying a fee to the store.

Pretty much the same thing.

The extra 100 euro is a factor but I'm buying a luxury item if I didn't have 500 euro spare a month I wouldn't be spending it on things like a console that runs pretty similar to my pc and ps4.

My thinking is if I don't go out drinking for a month I'll save that 500 and get years of enjoyment out of my Xbox.

Its not the same thing. Jack tretton made clear that all first party games would work as they always have. But when asked about 3rd party software, he basically said, youd have to ask them(publishers), but that sony werent implementing any architecture on psn to facilitate drm.
    Now thats not to say someone like ea coming along with another "online pass" idea (just before e3, EA scrapped the online pass)
    Geoff Keighley, then asked (after the tretton interview) activision about used games on ps4, and what would happen. and even activision weret pushing that bs..(although they never have with any of the cod games)

mikom wrote: »
    Step away from the city for a sec.

I do lol. Before I moved to the 'city' I was living in a normal sized estate in a countryside village, that was 4 years ago and had 7.6Mb then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-17-you-can-plug-an-xbox-360-into-the-xbox-one-says-major-nelson

According to that article (comments from 'Major Nelson'), being banned from Live won't mean a loss of the games you bought.

Wow, they most be work very hard to be this confusing, so if I get what he's saying if the xbox doesn't check in with Microsoft you can't pay your games you spent your hard earned money on. But if you get banned of there network, you then get to use the games......makes perfect sense......they area now talking our their rear ends.....

I'm going to ignore you now as I have said what I have had to say without bashing any other console but just giving my reasons for why I choose and Xbox one on an XBOX ONE thread.

Besides that, from your post history even before E3 I can see you have been a PS3 fanboy and bashing MS from the very beginning, so good luck with that Mr. Troll :)

your going to ignore hard evidence that iv already linked to ?

Jonathon Blow: PS4 Games Were Running on Dev Kits, Not High-End PCs
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590796

What about my post history before e3 ?, your talking out yo ass m8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Its not the same thing. Jack tretton made clear that all first party games would work as they always have. But when asked about 3rd party software, he basically said, youd have to ask them(publishers), but that sony werent implementing any architecture on psn to facilitate drm.
    Now thats not to say someone like ea coming along with another "online pass" idea (just before e3, EA scrapped the online pass)
    Geoff Keighley, then asked (after the tretton interview) activision about used games on ps4, and what would happen. and even activision weret pushing that bs..(although they never have with any of the cod games)

It would be commercial suicide for any 3rd party publisher not to support the PS4 because of a spat over DRM. The only trick up MS sleeve left may be cheaper games than the PS4, the difference would be compensation paid to publishers, so we could still be coughing up the cash either way!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I do lol. Before I moved to the 'city' I was living in a normal sized estate in a countryside village, that was 4 years ago and had 7.6Mb then.

7.6Mb is because you were living very close to the exchange in that village. The farther from the exchange the worse it gets. I'd die to get 7.6Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And the ones outside the village............ ya know the ones away from the exchange........

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    And the ones outside the village............ ya know the ones away from the exchange........

Lol, in my case, the exchange is actually a good bit outside the village like more than a km. For others, there's many options using the aerial on the roof like my sister has, she gets 8mb or so and a very low ping. I have a friend who actually uses a meteor dongle in the Kilkenny countryside for gaming and it does the job for him so when 4g is introduced it will only improve the matter.

I think this is more suited to the Broadband forum at this stage :D

jaffusmax wrote: »
    It would be commercial suicide for any 3rd party publisher not to support the PS4 because of a spat over DRM. The only trick up MS sleeve left may be cheaper games than the PS4, the difference would be compensation paid to publishers, so we could still be coughing up the cash either way!!!!

This might put you at ease :D

"Microsoft's Xbox One games will retail for $60, the same price as Xbox 360 titles, the publisher has confirmed.

This pricing will put Xbox One games level with PlayStation 4 titles, as PlayStation executive Jack Tretton said in February that PS4 titles will max out at $60."
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=593281

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

NORTH1 wrote: »
    Wow, they most be work very hard to be this confusing, so if I get what he's saying if the xbox doesn't check in with Microsoft you can't pay your games you spent your hard earned money on. But if you get banned of there network, you then get to use the games......makes perfect sense......they area now talking our their rear ends.....
    Did you know that if you are banned on Steam, you don't get to play online but can play your single player stuff? I bring it up because the logical contradiction you seem to think exists doesn't really.

This might put you at ease :D

"Microsoft's Xbox One games will retail for $60, the same price as Xbox 360 titles, the publisher has confirmed.

This pricing will put Xbox One games level with PlayStation 4 titles, as PlayStation executive Jack Tretton said in February that PS4 titles will max out at $60."
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=593281

FATALITY

FLAWLESS VICTORY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

jaffusmax wrote: »
    FATALITY

FLAWLESS VICTORY
    Er, what?

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Er, what?

:o Apologies I got over excited, I honestly thought XBone games may be cheaper to compete with the PS4, but if this is not the case then the last lingering thought of getting an XBone is gone!

Lol, in my case, the exchange is actually a good bit outside the village like more than a km. For others, there's many options using the aerial on the roof like my sister has, she gets 8mb or so and a very low ping. I have a friend who actually uses a meteor dongle in the Kilkenny countryside for gaming and it does the job for him so when 4g is introduced it will only improve the matter.

Yes about a km from the exchange you will get those speeds but, the further out it gets a lot worse. You need a good line of site for the wireless aerial option to even work and even if you have that a lot of the companies doing it are cowboys. Giving poor service and charging a lot if you go over your usage cap. Dongles are crap for gaming unless you play at 3am and also have usage caps. 4g will not improve the matter. The more people youtubing and downloading on 4g the worse it gets. Again unless you play at 3 AM

The Xbone will suck for people living outside cities and villages.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Did you know that if you are banned on Steam, you don't get to play online but can play your single player stuff? I bring it up because the logical contradiction you seem to think exists doesn't really.

You use steam as the example of how the new xbox will work. Yet it has been well discussed here that there is very little comparison. And the fact you get to use your single player on after 24 hours not connected to steam is another difference that you have just brought up.

Please explain to me how it works differently to my comments above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Where I lived up until about 3 weeks ago, the Eircom broadband is at most 0.8mb (actual download speed though can't seem to go more than 0.1mb/s), is too low down to get satellite broadband, and has no 3G reception for mobile broadband. And despite the fibre broadband rollout, I can't imagine them being worried about areas like mine until near the end of their 3-year plan. Where I live now, I get one bar of 3G reception with Meteor mobile broadband, and it's still 4 times quicker than what my Eircom broadband was back home.

Fact is, not everyone has great broadband. That's why stuff about the Xbone annoyed me. In America, I'm sure all the new TV features and stuff are great. In the Irish countryside, the only real reason to get an Xbone was for the games. And now you still need internet for that, even if you don't want to go online.

Don't get me wrong, you've made your choice and that's fine. I can definitely see why people would still get an Xbone. But quite frankly, it's simply not an option for many people, both in how it requires the internet, and how it's aimed at people with strong internet (with regards all the TV/movie apps etc)

Why does being banned from Live affect the check in, at all? I don't see how the two are connected.

Not providing you the authorization to play multiplayer or communicate on Live is completely different from not allowing your xbox to perform a brief handshake once a day.

• Advertisement

Yes about a km from the exchange you will get those speeds but, the further out it gets a lot worse. You need a good line of site for the wireless aerial option to even work and even if you have that a lot of the companies doing it are cowboys. Giving poor service and charging a lot if you go over your usage cap. Dongles are crap for gaming unless you play at 3am and also have usage caps. 4g will not improve the matter. The more people youtubing and downloading on 4g the worse it gets. Again unless you play at 3 AM

The Xbone will suck for people living outside cities and villages.

But so will the PS4.

Why is this even an argument.

As long as you have an internet connection, of any speed, the checkin service will work fine, it doesn't require a fast connection - you aren't streaming, you aren't uploading gigs of data, you aren't downloading gigs of data.

It will be similar to the initial logon to your Live account now. As long as you have the internet you can log on (or checkin).

The quality of the internet connection is only an issue in terms of actually playing online and that will be the exact same as the PS4.

People without an internet conncetion at all (crap wired, wireless or via a smart phone or dongle/pass through) won't be able to use the console - that makes is a non-starter for people without the internet, but no worse for people in the 'sticks' with an internet connection than the PS4 will be.

Penn wrote: »
    Where I lived up until about 3 weeks ago, the Eircom broadband is at most 0.8mb (actual download speed though can't seem to go more than 0.1mb/s), is too low down to get satellite broadband, and has no 3G reception for mobile broadband.

Just for clarity, I wasn't referring to satellite broadband, that is the WORST thing ever. Such high pings it makes online gaming impossible. I was more so referring to aerials on the roof using technology like saorview but through 4g I think. Example such as Permanet I can highly recommend and there are many others all over the country. Some don't even have a contract. My experience with them is they deliver the speed they advertise and are very stable with low ping.

But so will the PS4.

Why is this even an argument.

As long as you have an internet connection, of any speed, the checkin service will work fine, it doesn't require a fast connection - you aren't streaming, you aren't uploading gigs of data, you aren't downloading gigs of data.

It will be similar to the initial logon to your Live account now. As long as you have the internet you can log on (or checkin).

The quality of the internet connection is only an issue in terms of actually playing online and that will be the exact same as the PS4.

People without an internet conncetion at all (crap wired, wireless or via a smart phone or dongle/pass through) won't be able to use the console - that makes is a non-starter for people without the internet, but no worse for people in the 'sticks' with an internet connection than the PS4 will be.

What size file are the games? And how do they get onto the console?

Installed via a disc, why?

I was under the impression that with this system discs are a thing of the past. And games will now be downloaded. Like steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I was under the impression that with this system discs are a thing of the past. And games will now be downloaded. Like steam.

Disks will be available as well as downloadable purchases. The one difference being that which version you get, you will have to install the full game onto the HDD.

Example such as Permanet I can highly recommend and there are many others all over the country. Some don't even have a contract. My experience with them is they deliver the speed they advertise and are very stable with low ping.
    Yes, this is a good BB wireless option and they are a good company. The problem is, it's limited to a only small portion of the country and you still need a good line of site for it to work( meaning no trees or builds in the way,which is my problem).
    So again, people with limited BB will not get all the full features of the XBone.

Edit: 40GB Traffic Quota for their Home package, When you go over that they slow you down.

Via disc.

• Advertisement

Via disc.

According to the article I posted. It will be via disc or you can choose the download option on Xbox market, so pretty much very similar to steam as they have the choice to install via disc or download too.

Options are good, only way I'd choose a download only option tho would be if it was a decent % cheaper.

Advertisement