Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone actually buying xbox one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

DaLad wrote: »
    Maybe they just didn't want to release any info right now on the power button but they have one planned, who knows?

I doubt it's anywhere near as interesting as that. Most likely the guy handling the twitter has no information on power button because nobody thought to put it in the guidelines for him. It's a fairly random question like. He does, however, know that you can power it on with voice commands, so he's passed that on

I'm sure as the post-e3 mess settles down he'll ask someone who'll ask someone and it'll be answered

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Can you not make the kinect face a wall or something? or does it have to be staring at you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Can you not make the kinect face a wall or something? or does it have to be staring at you?

I presume it will have to steer right in to your eyes, or it will feel neglected and throw critical errors in to your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can put it in sleep mode or anything you want, under a pile of clothes whatever, just has to be plugged in and connected to the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

You can put it in sleep mode or anything you want, under a pile of clothes whatever, just has to be plugged in and connected to the console.

Supposedly for now but I have a feeling they'll allow you to use it without it, although personally I will be using it.

So many people are paranoid about the kinect watching them but then use a laptop that more than likely has a built in webcam lol. You can just stick blue-tack over the camera of either if you feel like "you're being watched". :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

No, a message will appear on screen saying, the Kinect cant see you...your games will not work until the console can visually verify the number of people in the room.

Supposedly for now but I have a feeling they'll allow you to use it without it, although personally I will be using it.

So many people are paranoid about the kinect watching them but then use a laptop that more than likely has a built in webcam lol. You can just stick blue-tack over the camera of either if you feel like "you're being watched". :P

My laptop has a slider so i can physically close up the webcam so it cant see me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

No, a message will appear on screen saying, the Kinect cant see you...your games will not work until the console can visually verify the number of people in the room.
    Except that's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Imagine if that was true.

You couldn't even play games in the dark.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

You can just stick blue-tack over the camera of either if you feel like "you're being watched". :P

Not really comparable. You can turn that camera off and the laptop doesn't report back to the manufacturer on a daily basis. With a closed in, semi-"always on" system like the XBO the paranoia will logically step up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Imagine if that was true.

You couldn't even play games in the dark.:pac:

Actually the kinect can see fine in the dark :)

Richard's comment is completely un-true though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Yeah!...what if you're GF wants to go out shopping and is bugging you, you're in the middle a zombie killing spree and aiming for a high score, she scowls....rolls her eyes....and says:

Xbox off...........

:eek:

I could actually see this happening.

I wont be buying an xbox one. A friend of mine who was a very loyal xbox fan through out the years even has decided to jump ship, he was so annoyed at the used game policy/ always online policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,046 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Shams wrote: »
    I could actually see this happening.

I wont be buying an xbox one. A friend of mine who was a very loyal xbox fan through out the years even has decided to jump ship, he was so annoyed at the used game policy/ always online policy.

They have rolled back to an extent of the used game and trust me it will be gone before it comes out. Third party games (those that Microsoft do not make) will not like it.

Always on policy is gone to once a day and it make sense its to make sure the game that is loaded out is an original as you do not have to have the disc in. They have also changed it that if you want the disc can be in and that will be fine. There was a post I think yesterday about it Anyway I am sure if he has broadband and has an xbox360 it is connected to the internet anyway.

Always on policy is gone to once a day and it make sense its to make sure the game that is loaded out is an original as you do not have to have the disc in. They have also changed it that if you want the disc can be in and that will be fine. There was a post I think yesterday about it Anyway I am sure if he has broadband and has an xbox360 it is connected to the internet anyway.
    Are you talking about the reddit post? That was just an MS fan posting stuff that had been posted to clear up some misunderstandings. From what I remember, the person who posted that just speculated on that would be a good system that could work. I'd love to see them go down that route, but unless I missed it, that has not been confirmed as the case. It seems an no brainer solution, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Except that's not true.

That article says the xbone kinnect can be paused, great. Paused isn't off. It also goes on to say while the kinnect is paused, it isn't listening to your conversations. It only listens for "Xbox off"...now to me that is a complete contradiction and who ever wrote it is a moron. In order for a device to listen for one word/sentence it has to listen to all sentences...****in retard whoever wrote that

From the article:
    You are in control of when Kinect sensing is On, Off or Paused: If you don't want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say "Xbox Off." When the system is off, it's only listening for the single voice command - "Xbox On," and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you'll need to turn it back on for these experiences.
    So, from an off state, you can have the console respond to voice or not. When you turn on the console, you still need to go activate kinect for "these experiences" so it doesn't just make kinect turned on just by starting up the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Has anyone heard any information on Microsoft announcing that they have gotten rid of the online check in every 24 hours and that you will now be able to play used games? Is this the truth or is it just rumors?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Sweet lord , after my rant about leaving Xbox and per ordering a ps4 ,they go and see the light/sack loads of money they were going to lose out on . Any one hope there isn't anything new in the small print this time around to screw us over with .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So we can anticipate a couple of days of "Well, its still €100 more expensive...and PS+ is better than Live!!" as the PS fanboys scrabble to find some ammunition to validate their choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So we can anticipate a couple of days of "Well, its still €100 more expensive...and PS+ is better than Live!!" as the PS fanboys scrabble to find some ammunition to validate their choice.

Will be interesting to see how Sony support there dashboard compared to xbox live ui etc. Sense they are paying for online now will they get cross chat and other cool features..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

PS3 is the first console I haven't owned since the SNES so I'm no Sony fanboy but those are reasons I'm considering the PS4 and some of the exclusives lately Ive missed out on. Add in the indie push the console is getting while you're coming up with reasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I'm glad they did so.

I was on the fence before, but I reckon I might go for the Xbone, and thats only cause of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Well fair fcuks to Microsoft is all I'll say.

Its also 50% more powerful, has 7GB of GDDR5 memory available for games as opposed to 5GB of DDR3. No Kinect fuggery, smaller, sexier, no external power brick, can replaced the HDD.....need i go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Its also 50% more powerful, has 7GB of GDDR5 memory available for games as opposed to 5GB of DDR3. No Kinect fuggery, smaller, sexier, no external power brick, can replaced the HDD.....need i go on?

50% more powerful wow can you provide a source that states its 50% more powerful because I cant take a random guys word for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I'm glad they did so.

I was on the fence before, but I reckon I might go for the Xbone, and thats only cause of the games.

Same here, PS4 games shown at E3 just didn't excite me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thought you could replace the hdd on the xbox1 too.

Disappointed by this announcement, rolled back too far.

Library sharing and your games being accessible on any xbox1 were great features, so annoyed they are gone.

Can you still install games and play without the disk?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

In fairness, PS+ is better than live.
    Nothing fanboyish about it - it just is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

zero19 wrote: »
    Same here, PS4 games shown at E3 just didn't excite me at all.

Same as that.
    The more powerful argument doesn't wash either, sure wasn't the ps3 more powerful than the 360, yet the 360 ran the majority of games smoother.
    Imo there was nothing next gen about the Sony conference.

Still might buy it though if they can convince me otherwise.

Advertisement