Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone actually buying xbox one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Its also 50% more powerful, has 7GB of GDDR5 memory available for games as opposed to 5GB of DDR3. No Kinect fuggery, smaller, sexier, no external power brick, can replaced the HDD.....need i go on?

its not 50% more powerful more like 15%,straight stats dont equal real world performance Gddr5 is an advantage but your overestimating it versus the esRam/ddr3 solution and we dont know how much is being allocated for OS on either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Same as that.
    The more powerful argument doesn't wash either, sure wasn't the ps3 more powerful than the 360, yet the 360 ran the majority of games smoother.
    Imo there was nothing next gen about the Sony conference.

Still might buy it though if they can convince me otherwise.
    With the library sharing and online availability of your games gone, I don't see what is that next gen about the Xbox. Prettier games, what else? What is really changing? The cloud based power is surely gone too.

Rolled back too far, ps4 even more attractive to me now.

NTMK wrote: »
    its not 50% more powerful more like 15%,straight stats dont equal real world performance Gddr5 is an advantage but your overestimating it versus the esRam/ddr3 solution and we dont know how much is being allocated for OS on either

We know exactly how much is dedicated on the Xbox. It's 3 gb isn't it? 8gb in total with 5 absolutely dedicated to the games - ms made a big deal over guaranteeing memory to the Xbox games.

We know exactly how much is dedicated on the Xbox. It's 3 gb isn't it? 8gb in total with 5 absolutely dedicated to the games - ms made a big deal over guaranteeing memory to the Xbox games.

did they actually confirm how much?:confused: ok then fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

With the library sharing and online availability of your games gone, I don't see what is that next gen about the Xbox. Prettier games, what else? What is really changing? The cloud based power is surely gone e.

Rolled back too far, ps4 even more attractive to me now.
    I get what your saying. Unfortunately Microsoft caved into people who are afraid of change. People are by nature afraid of change, people fear of the unknown.
    It really was a next gen concept which possibly could have revolutionised gaming, what we will get now is just slightly improved consoles with incremental improvements rather than radical ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,046 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just reading the Xbone release. Great news they are not doing what they are. I saw one piece witch was I think about buying online and I quote Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions. Does this mean that you will now be able to but games that are in the US or Japan market also?

did they actually confirm how much?:confused: ok then fair enough

Yeah - my figures might be wrong but they did make a big deal over confirming memory dedicated to the games, with the remainder portioned off for the persistent OS. Sony haven't confirmed the same for PS4 as I don't think they can due to the architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

For me, Microsoft can shove the xbox one. Since it's reveal, they've been ****e talking about how everyone needs to deal with it, or stick with the 360. Honestly gave us all the middle finger, thinking we'd take it... Yeah, it's great that they dropped the DRM & used game stuff, but really, the damage is done for me. Clearly, they've noticed that Sony just killed them at E3, and the back-peddling just seems pathetic.
    The whole thing is based on Live tv and sports...Something that won't even work in Ireland! I don't get why people are considering it! I understand it's people opinions and all that, but it's big point on reveal was live tv.
    The PS4, for me, still seems like a better option. Seems like a gaming console. Might even avoid both for a while on release and wait for opinions. Granted, the PC will still me my main choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I know number crunching is a hot debate, but isn't all this moot by how easy/difficult it is for developers to code for the system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still certain I won't be getting one at launch. The €100 difference, the multi-media focus and the reliance on Kinect are still putting me off.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I know number crunching is a hot debate, but isn't all this moot by how easy/difficult it is for developers to code for the system?

both systems are easy to dev for, both run same architecture, any difference wont be known until 3-4 years into cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So we can anticipate a couple of days of "Well, its still €100 more expensive...and PS+ is better than Live!!" as the PS fanboys scrabble to find some ammunition to validate their choice.

Damn those "fanboys" using their facts to back up their arguments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I get what your saying. Unfortunately Microsoft caved into people who are afraid of change. People are by nature afraid of change, people fear of the unknown.
    It really was a next gen concept which possibly could have revolutionised gaming, what we will get now is just slightly improved consoles with incremental improvements rather than radical ones.

But they went too far and needlessly limited consumer choice to force the new way of playing on people. If your system is better, offer users both methods and over time they'll migrate. Tell them you are going to force them to play your way and of course they will be suspicious. No one forces one option over the other because its better for the consumer, why would you need to?
    For example, let people install their game from the disc so they no longer need to insert the disc if they want to but then require the machine to phone home every 24 hours and if it can't they have to revert to putting the disc in to play.
    You could even offer to let people opt in the full experience at which point they would have to connect every 24 hours and have to install their games and people like Mitch would choose to do so and might show their friends who might come around to the new system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Just reading the Xbone release. Great news they are not doing what they are. I saw one piece witch was I think about buying online and I quote Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions. Does this mean that you will now be able to but games that are in the US or Japan market also?

No, it's about physical copies

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

INteresting news indeed , but it may already be too late , alot of people may not trust MS after all this and stick with the PS4. They may roll back on their word over the net 2-3 years once they got people on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

TheBuck wrote: »
    INteresting news indeed , but it may already be too late , alot of people may not trust MS after all this and stick with the PS4. They may roll back on their word over the net 2-3 years once they got people on board.

This! Look at what Sony did with the option to install Linux on PS3 and backwards compatibility with PS2. They forced an update and released the PS3 slim that removed these facilities. Nothing to say that MS won't in the future introduce their DRM in another way.

I still won't buy an XBone though, I really don't like the prospect of XBone, through Kinect, listening and watching what is going on in my living room.

Even without any of that, MS have just shown that they really do not understand their customers, not only with XBone but also with Windows 8 and the Start button fiasco. A company that doesn't understand their customers is always going to mess up badly one way or another. I would say that the only reason this change is happening is because pre-order numbers were disastrous and way outside forecasts. That's why they reintroduced Start to Windows 8 (poor sales) and why they rolled back on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Agree with the two posters above, now that these DRM systems are built into the console they are still going to be there just turned off.

There's very little stopping MS from bringing them in a tiny bit at a time once they've sold a few million consoles. They'll tell us it was the developers decision and its out of their hands. I wouldn't trust them in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Personally, I think this has made the console worse. I liked the sound of the sharing feature and gave up trading games ages ago because you get ripped off and I found myself regretting it down the line. I gave away some classics for the sake of a couple of euro off something.

Digital downloading is the way forward, I liked the idea of being able to go to my friends house and log into my account then play whatever I want. MS, I think, just scared everyone off with how they announced it. Then we know how the internet can explode with idiots when stuff like this happens.

PS. I'm no fan boy I have both PS3 and Xbox 360. I will probably get one at launch and one down the line anyway. But this news has actually put me off the Xbox more than before. Publishers will find a way to crack down on the trading business anyway.

Julez wrote: »
    Digital downloading is the way forward, I liked the idea of being able to go to my friends house and log into my account then play whatever I want. MS, I think, just scared everyone off with how they announced it. Then we know how the internet can explode with idiots when stuff like this happens.

DD is great until you go to your friends house and you realize you have to download a 30gb+ game on a 2mb connection, Discs are far handier for that

the reaction was correct MS needed to be **** on imo making your costomers jump though hoops so they can use the device they bought is nothing short of BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

DD is great until you go to your friends house and you realize you have to download a 30gb+ game on a 2mb connection, Discs are far handier for that

True, but if you did buy the disk surely an option to even use that disk while connected to your account would be in place. If not I agree, that would be a pain.

• Advertisement

True, but if you did buy the disk surely an option to even use that disk while connected to your account would be in place. If not I agree, that would be a pain.

you still have that ability my xbox acount is on about 4//5 360s in various locations. cloud saving should still work if theyve implemended it so you can still access your saves. a disc is a minor inconvience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Digital downloading is the way forward, I liked the idea of being able to go to my friends house and log into my account then play whatever I want.

Why are you concerned then? You can still play everything digitally on the next gen consoles if you want to buy them directly.

Digital downloading will only be the way forward once all of the drawbacks have been eliminated or reduced to the point of barely existing, as is the case with most new technology. As it is, most of them are still there and the world is not ready to go fully online. Maybe the next gen after will do it and it'll be fine by then but we still have a long way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

F1ngers wrote: »
    In fairness, PS+ is better than live.
    Nothing fanboyish about it - it just is.

In what way?

In my opinion, Xbox Live is better, sure, PS+ works out better value with all the free games but the rate of download is ridiculous on PSN, even system updates take f*****g ages to download, it's like they're using servers from pre-2005 or something. They also don't have party chat like Xbox Live has which is a must have for me anyway. Apart from that, after using both consoles, I prefer the UI of Xbox Live and find the online community to be more experienced.

Just my opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

DaLad wrote: »
    In what way?

In my opinion, Xbox Live is better, sure, PS+ works out better value with all the free games but the rate of download is ridiculous on PSN, even system updates take f*****g ages to download, it's like they're using servers from pre-2005 or something. They also don't have party chat like Xbox Live has which is a must have for me anyway. Apart from that, after using both consoles, I prefer the UI of Xbox Live and find the online community to be more experienced.

Not really. My downloads are super fast. Plus offers so many great free games, cloud storage, automatic downloading, exclusive access to betas and the like.
    Live is paying for what should come as standard, in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I doubt I will be availing of any AAA digital downloads on the next gen. I would rather pick up the disc version when its cheaper.

It's all down to price, the price of the Games On Demand is double, sometimes triple what you could pick them on sale for, by the time they are available to download.

I can see the digital versions of new games, launching at the same price as the disc based ones, but they won't come down in value as quick, if ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

DaLad wrote: »
    In what way?

What are people on about with download speeds? I got ps+ 2 months ago and my ps3 downloads everything at full speed of my broadband. It's from 2 different places too.
    Most of the time people get **** download speeds not due to Sony fault, but their own poor setups of wireless or router port managing.

Some people need to get back from 2005 and compare like for like in 2013. I am still shocked how much people moan about the hack more then 2 years ago. 1 month of no online play for which they got ps+ sub and 2 free games and still they moan about trust and how poor service it is. Lads, really, snap the feck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

What are people on about with download speeds? I got ps+ 2 months ago and my ps3 downloads everything at full speed of my broadband. It's from 2 different places too.

I think they meant, the length the PS updates take to run.

I can't comment, the XBOX ones aren't that long, no idea how long the PS3 ones take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Well just from my experience with my network of which is 154Mb down, connected via ethernet to the modem, PS downloads & updates take the piss in download times compared to firmware and game downloads on Xbox Live.

Also, this was posted on fb by one of my friends in Virginia, U.S a couple of days ago : "7 hours in and dc universe is 14% downloaded on the ps. LOL"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Why are we talking about PS+ and Xbox Live on current systems? If we are talking about getting an Xbone over a PS4, then compare how those services will work on those platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Otacon wrote: »
    Why are we talking about PS+ and Xbox Live on current systems? If we are talking about getting an Xbone over a PS4, then compare how those services will work on those platforms.
    How much do we know about that? Not enough to talk about, I'd think. So, that leaves two options, to shut up about it, or speculate based on this gen. While I see the merit in the former, this is a forum, so the latter is pretty much a given.

Advertisement