Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone actually buying xbox one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

The thread should be closed.
    The answer to the OP's question is yes, unfortunately some people are actually going to buy an inferior games console for reasons that I cannot understand.

Maybe they actually believe it will have better games or games that will still be comparable to PS4 games at the end of the generation, maybe they are 360 owners who will always be loyal to Microsoft no matter what, maybe they like Kinect, maybe they like putting batteries in their controllers, maybe they like talking to their console or maybe they like watching TV on their TV...through their console.

Whatever the reason, nothing anyone says here is going to change their mind. If none of the above mattered when they weren't going to own their games or be able to play single player without internet access, they certainly aren't going to matter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

^
    Get off the fence, tell us what you really think.

The people saying they are getting the XBOX one are entitled to their opinion. Inferior product or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Pushtrak wrote: »
    How much do we know about that?

We know that the prices will remain the same. We know that the PSN will support voice chat. We know that both systems will support 'playing a game while it's still downloading'. We know that PS+ is now required for online play (except for free-to-play title) like XBL but not required for media and social apps.

*I realise some of these can change but as you imply, speculation is the life-blood of forum discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Otacon wrote: »
    We know that the prices will remain the same. We know that the PSN will support voice chat. We know that both systems will support 'playing a game while it's still downloading'. We know that PS+ is now required for online play (except for free-to-play title) like XBL but not required for media and social apps.

*I realise some of these can change but as you imply, speculation is the life-blood of forum discussion.
    So, what we know is all about parity between them. In fairness, not the most fruitful grounds for conversation there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Still certain I won't be getting one at launch. The €100 difference, the multi-media focus and the reliance on Kinect are still putting me off.

Seriously, are you that much of a peasant? €100 is fúck all over the lifespan of a console, even over a year!

Jesus christ people have to stop being such bitches about the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

callaway92 wrote: »
    Seriously, are you that much of a peasant? €100 is fúck all over the lifespan of a console, even over a year!

That peasant listed few reasons. Even if he would find a chest with 100eu while digging turnips, there will still be other reasons for choosing other console... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Gonna rock up the ps4 for this generation

Pushtrak wrote: »
    So, what we know is all about parity between them. In fairness, not the most fruitful grounds for conversation there.

True perhaps, but seeing others mention how XBL supports voice chat as a positive in the current gen when the PSN will do the same next gen seems disingenuous to the conversation.

I wouldn't mind paying the extra €100 if there was a good reason for the disparity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The extra 100 quid is clearly for the Kinect 2.0, it would probably be 130 Euro if it was bundled separetely, its alot more advanced the the old Kinect or even the new PS Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

I wonder did everyone in the day laugh about ps3 stupid prices, the same amount as the 100euro difference in this generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Nolars wrote: »
    I wonder did everyone in the day laugh about ps3 stupid prices, the same amount as the 100euro difference in this generation.
    Yeah, they did, but apparently, in hindsight they were fine, but now, recession 100 euros is a huge deal. I'd be more concerned about the lack of exclusives to really make me want to get the One rather than the price, per se.

That peasant listed few reasons. Even if he would find a chest with 100eu while digging turnips, there will still be other reasons for choosing other console... :rolleyes:

I was digging turnips in Okami last night :pac: That's another quality exclusive you'll likely be able to play on PS4 when the streaming backwards compatibility eventually comes into effect. The aim is to get ALL Playstation games working.

That's got to be another reason to get a PS4. If you have a 360 this generation, buying a PS4 will allow you access to a lot of the exclusives you may have missed on the PS3 and eventually the PS2 and PS1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

sin0city wrote: »
    The thread should be closed.
    The answer to the OP's question is yes, unfortunately some people are actually going to buy an inferior games console for reasons that I cannot understand.

Maybe they actually believe it will have better games or games that will still be comparable to PS4 games at the end of the generation, maybe they are 360 owners who will always be loyal to Microsoft no matter what, maybe they like Kinect, maybe they like putting batteries in their controllers, maybe they like talking to their console or maybe they like watching TV on their TV...through their console.

Whatever the reason, nothing anyone says here is going to change their mind. If none of the above mattered when they weren't going to own their games or be able to play single player without internet access, they certainly aren't going to matter now.

Xbone isn't an "inferior games console". The differences between it and PS4 appear to be so minor that they're almost negligible.

The real issues boil down to the differences in the policies of the companies and exclusives, rather than the consoles themselves. If some people don't mind those policies, then the Xbone is a perfectly good choice and looks like it could be a great machine. My interest in it had improved since the reversal of the 24 hour check and some of the DRM stuff, though I'll still be PS4 on release and possibly Xbone sometime next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

An added €100 makes a huge difference when the consoles will have pretty much the same performance and share the vast majority of games.

The question is do you want to pay an extra €100 for Kinect and the One's exclusives. If you do, then go for it. If not, then you're wasting €100.

By the way, I always find it amazing how defensive people get when it comes to their product purchasing choices. It's hilarious. I thought Apple fans were the worst for it - you kind of get reminded how bad console purchasers can be when a new generation comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

o1s1n wrote: »
    The question is do you want to pay an extra €100 for Kinect and the One's exclusives. If you do, then go for it. If not, then you're wasting €100.

If there was a console only option for purchasing the One, then I think more would get it on Day 1.

I know I probably would.

But as it is, nope, I don't want to pay 100quid extra for kinect, a feature I do not want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

It has been confirmed that ps4 demos were actually running on ps4 dev kits.
    And yes the xb1 is upto 50 % less powerful then the ps4. do some research so people dont have to spell it out for you...

jblowlgpxr.png

No seriously, where are you pulling this 50% thing out of?

I really wish people could look at both objectively rather than have bias towards one or the other.

Penn wrote: »
    Xbone isn't an "inferior games console". The differences between it and PS4 appear to be so minor that they're almost negligible.

In fairness I don't think the hardware or the price difference is minor.

Whether it's credible or not, there is some talk that it will 40% more powerful out of the gate and games will run better on it. I don't know how they can put a percentage on the difference but if it turns out to be true, that's a fairly big difference.

Sorry if I come across as defensive and believe me, if Sony had tried to pull the stuff Microsoft did and had better hardware at a cheaper price, I'd be singing Microsoft's praises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Having been a 360 gamer for the this generation I think I'll still switch. Ill definitely miss the controller but in the last year there has been Journey, Ni no Kuni and The Last of Us that I've really wanted to play and I can't think of a 360 exclusive I played in that time, well there was that whole EU walking dead shambles on PS3. I just get the feeling that the 360 has camped itself very far into FPS territory and while I can enjoy the odd FPS (Spec Ops, Blood Dragon etc.) I'm just not a big fan.

joe123 wrote: »
    No seriously, where are you pulling this 50% thing out of?

It is speculation but based on more than just guesses too.
    The two GPUs employ AMD's latest Graphics Core Next architecture, which is divided into working blocks known as Compute Units. The PS4 version has 18 CUs generating 1.84 teraflops of processing power, while the Xbox one has only 12 CUs; which, in theory , gives Sony's machine a 50% advantage in terms of raw shader performance (for example, lighting and other graphics effects).

Article

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Having been a 360 gamer for the this generation I think I'll still switch. Ill definitely miss the controller but in the last year there has been Journey, Ni no Kuni and The Last of Us that I've really wanted to play and I can't think of a 360 exclusive I played in that time, well there was that whole EU walking dead shambles on PS3. I just get the feeling that the 360 has camped itself very far into FPS territory and while I can enjoy the odd FPS (Spec Ops, Blood Dragon etc.) I'm just not a big fan.

And Sony's intention is that you'll get a chance to play those games through Gaikai on the PS4. Beyond : Two Souls should be good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Preordered mine yesterday. Partly due to brand loyalty, and partly due to the better exclusive games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

o1s1n wrote: »
    By the way, I always find it amazing how defensive people get when it comes to their product purchasing choices. It's hilarious. I thought Apple fans were the worst for it - you kind of get reminded how bad console purchasers can be when a new generation comes around.

Tbf console buyers at least try to back up their stuff with articles or sort of facts, Apple fanboys are like lemmings and blindly follow the party line no matter what evidence is presented to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Shazer01

I'm buying a ps4. Have had xbox 360 since released. Changing over cause of the insane rules micr$oft tried to implement. Even though they have changed their policies they messed up. They will try it again in the future.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

ShooterSF wrote: »

I can understand the controller gripe but it looks to have improved from Sony's end of things at least, but if it's still not comfortable for yourself or whoever else, I'm sure controller adapters and the like will be out soon enough for both consoles. So you could use a Xbox One controller for the PS4.

There's also the 3rd party option for controllers as well if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I can understand the controller gripe but it looks to have improved from Sony's end of things at least, but if it's still not comfortable for yourself or whoever else, I'm sure controller adapters and the like will be out soon enough for both consoles. So you could use a Xbox One controller for the PS4.

There's also the 3rd party option for controllers as well if need be.

Have heard a few different game journalists on podcasts and the like saying they actually prefer the PS4 controller now over the Xbox. Even if it's not better, it's definitely been drastically improved. Supposed to be very comfortable now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

€100 will get them 2 games off the bat. They didn't say they'll never buy an Xbox One, just that a €100 difference on launch day will sway them to PS4. And like others have pointed out, what exactly do you get for that €100?
    Tbf console buyers at least try to back up their stuff with articles or sort of facts, Apple fanboys are like lemmings and blindly follow the party line no matter what evidence is presented to the contrary.

Well in the Apple fan's defence, it's probably easy to get sucked in when mainstream media is also largely telling you that it's the best thing ever, or at least generally saying that that it's as good as anything else. With consoles, you tend to get a good bit more even distribution of praise and criticism.

I'll be getting a PS4 on launch or soon after and while I will eventually get the Xbone. It wont be before a serious price drop. €100 isn't a hank breaking amount of money but when there is a similiar console for a €100 less and a company focusing on gamers it is a deal breaker. I don't care about Kinect, its the most useless piece of hardware I have ever used. The sole positive aspect of it id the voice controls on Netflix. If Microsoft hadn't made it integral to the new console then I'd consider getting one but alas Microsoft's sole interest this coming generation is just how much can we squeeze out of gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Has Deep Down been confirmed as a PS4 exclsive? That and The Order: 1886 are enough for me to want a PS4, not to mention the nonsense Microsoft tried to pull, the price difference, Indies self publishing, the power difference, the confirmed PC architecture and ease of porting to PS4, the upgradeable harddrive, and the acquisition of Gaikai by Sony which a lot of people seem to not see as the big deal it actually is.... oh wait I just mentioned them.

Xbox One, will be a very hard sell this holiday season. Down the line possibly it will become a fantastic system but as it stands... I really can't see any reason to pay extra for a(an?) One outside of Forza 5. Thats pretty damning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Danonino. wrote: »
    Has Deep Down been confirmed as a PS4 exclsive? That and The Order: 1886 are enough for me to want a PS4, not to mention the nonsense Microsoft tried to pull, the price difference, Indies self publishing, the power difference, the confirmed PC architecture and ease of porting to PS4, the upgradeable harddrive, and the acquisition of Gaikai by Sony which a lot of people seem to not see as the big deal it actually is.... oh wait I just mentioned them.

Xbox One, will be a very hard sell this holiday season. Down the line possibly it will become a fantastic system but as it stands... I really can't see any reason to pay extra for a(an?) One outside of Forza 5. Thats pretty damning.
    Where did you see gameplay for The Order 1886 that made you want it so much?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Danonino. wrote: »
    Has Deep Down been confirmed as a PS4 exclsive? That and The Order: 1886 are enough for me to want a PS4, not to mention the nonsense Microsoft tried to pull, the price difference, Indies self publishing, the power difference, the confirmed PC architecture and ease of porting to PS4, the upgradeable harddrive

Xbox One will have an upgradable hard drive in the form of external hard drives which are cheap as chips. I'd much prefer this and think of it as a better solution than being stuck using the made to fit HDD's that they can charge whatever they want for as they make them. You can get a 1TB external HDD for approx €60. So don't let that be 1 of the reasons against Microsoft as it's more of a plus in Microsoft's direction.

Advertisement