Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone actually buying xbox one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

farna_boy wrote: »
    Just wondering, would anyone who had thought about going for one of these consider going for a gaming PC instead?

With Steam's Big Picture, you are now getting to a stage where if you had your PC hooked up to your TV and you had a wireless controller, you could have a similar enough experience with a PC as you would with a console.

You could also build a reasonable gaming pc for about the same price and upgrade later as necessary. From what I can tell, the games are about the same price and with Steam/Amazon sales you can often get them much cheaper, especially if you wait a month or two (I bought Hitman Absolution last month for €3.24 on Amazon).

I know they are not the same thing, and many of the problems with the next gen consoles are pre-existing to some extent on PC i.e. no trading, but would anyone see it as a viable alternative?

idk for me personally i prefer certain games for consoles (ps) and certain games for pc-age of empires old school gamer ,i just prefer the ps to a pc, id get too distracted by facebook and such if i played on a pc id pause the game every 2mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I do game on pc a bit and agree with steam sales and the like its very tempting but I think I'd be moving quite a bit soon so a pc isn't exactly portable really plus not many of my friends game on pc so ps4 it is

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Reon wrote: »
    would they pay 100 to play online?, the ps controller isnt that bad is it? im sure you could get use to it, what does drm stand for?

I'm sure I would get used to the PS controller, I just prefer the Xbox one.
    Digital Rights Management.
    Yousef wrote: »
    You're going to pay an extra 100 quid for a less powerful console?!

Jesus, talk some sense into your friends. This generation of consoles belongs to Sony and I'm not even buying a PS4. I'm primarily a PC gamer.

That price difference, yeah that made me go :eek:
    To be fair to my friends, and I prob could have said it earlier, they haven't decided themselves yet. We'll have to see what happens over the next few months before we see what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Here is my 2 Cents

I have being with xbox since the 360 came out all those years ago .Before that i was a playstation 1 and 2 man up through my youth with games like Final fantasy 7 , 8 , 9 , kingdom hearts , metal gear solid , grand turismo . I left Sony because i was turned into a halo nut by master chief at a buddys house (HALO 2).
    But after all these years i'm going back to Sony .
    Main Reasons

1. I want to be able to trade games with my friends .
    2. Not having big brother looking over me everytime i turn my machine on
    3. I want a games console , not a sky box, voice remote ,media centre all in one
    4. Not forking out €100 extra for a kinect i have no use for

I know many of ye have your own points and some of ye will be staying with xbox , but as far as i am concerned this will be the final console war.
    Who will you side with

riggerman wrote: »
    Here is my 2 Cents

I have being with xbox since the 360 came out all those years ago .Before that i was a playstation 1 and 2 man up through my youth with games like Final fantasy 7 , 8 , 9 , kingdom hearts , metal gear solid , grand turismo . I left Sony because i was turned into a halo nut by master chief at a buddys house (HALO 2).
    But after all these years i'm going back to Sony .
    Main Reasons

1. I want to be able to trade games with my friends .
    2. Not having big brother looking over me everytime i turn my machine on
    3. I want a games console , not a sky box, voice remote ,media centre all in one
    4. Not forking out €100 extra for a kinect i have no use for

I know many of ye have your own points and some of ye will be staying with xbox , but as far as i am concerned this will be the final console war.
    Who will you side with
    well said :D i really dont like halo nor gears of war so ps4 is perfect for me i was abit pissed off at paying 50 euro to play online was hoping they wouldnt do that but **** happens, whats the big brother thing u were talking about i take it has something to do with kinnect? or... lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

yep the kinect

It totally freaks my missus out :D

I just want the ability to play a game and play on line when i chose , not having to connect every 24 hours

riggerman wrote: »
    yep the kinect

It totally freaks my missus out :D

I just want the ability to play a game and play on line when i chose , not having to connect every 24 hours

exactly i dont know why they would do that?, what if u have exams or some sh!t coming up and staying away + it would increase the electricity bill haha aintnobodygottimefodat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Haven't bought a console since the N64

Join us :pac:

PC_Gaming_Master_Race_by_Claidheam_Righ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Another thread about how horrible the X1 is? Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

erkifino wrote: »
    Another thread about how horrible the X1 is? Seriously?

Was the thread not asking who's buying it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As a 360 owner I'm getting a PS4. In fairness I did own the PS1 and PS2, Nintendo consoles before them.

But the Xbox One will probably be honey to a bee for hackers trying to prove a point so if it gets completely broken I might buy one ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

COYVB wrote: »
    Was the thread not asking who's buying it?

That's what it initially was but how many people have said yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

erkifino wrote: »
    That's what it initially was but how many people have said yes?

So it's only a valid thread if people say yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

As it is now, no XBO for me. PS4 at launch yes. XBO maybe further down the road when it's about €300 and comes with a larger HDD. And that will be just to play Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and Halo 5. All cross platforming will be done on PS4 this time compared to last gen when I got a 360 at launch and only used the PS3 for exclusives and old PS2 games I still love.

let this be a normal discussion no arguments i dont want this turning into a freaking youtube video where sh!t stirs from nothing, but lets all face it the xbox one is sh!t bring it BRAH! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'll more than likely pick one up eventually, yes. Probably a few months after I get a PS4, which will be a large number of months after I get a Wii U. Hopefully by then I won't feel like I'm paying a premium for a peripheral I neither need nor want and there should be enough exclusives either out or announced to justify the purchase. Between the latter case and it's intended usage as an exclusives machine, it'll basically make it my PS3 from this generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I literally stopped playing my 360 to play with mates on the ps3 mainly because i didnt have to pay to play online, I really cant be bothered with this next gen either way its all hype better graphics and more day one dlc to come for twice the price. I think im going stick with my pc from now on, like whats the price of the games going to be now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

As a gamer
    The decision on which console to get comes down to a couple of things

games
    Forza 5 or gt6

are both consoles going to use Skype for in game chat or will it just be an app

When a game is released can I download it straight to the console on release day or do I actually have to have the disc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I prefer Xbone's exclusive games list, but I absolutely don't want to support their authentication/used games B.S.. So i'm in a bit a of a bind. I hope they flip-flop on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Is it wrong that while everyone is knee deep in this PS vs Xbox craic and who's buying what, all I can think is that I'd better start saving for a 3DS before the new Pokémon games hit the shelves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I prefer Xbone's exclusive games list, but I absolutely don't want to support their authentication/used games B.S.. So i'm in a bit a of a bind. I hope they flip-flop on it.

I'm the same, I really like the games line up for XB1. Can't see them changing policy though so it's most likely going to be PS4 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Unless Microsoft release a stripped down version of XB1, I'll be going to Ps4.

Microsoft will seriosuly need to reconsider their policies or theyll be fooked

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

deadybai wrote: »
    Does anyone no what happens if you don't sign in within 24 hours? do you have to buy a new xbox?

It becomes a DvD/Blu Ray/Media player.

This is why they focused on TV so much with their premier of the XBone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I might get one a couple of years down the line - after a price drop and hopefully a re-evaluation of their anti-consumer policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

farna_boy wrote: »
    Just wondering, would anyone who had thought about going for one of these consider going for a gaming PC instead?

With Steam's Big Picture, you are now getting to a stage where if you had your PC hooked up to your TV and you had a wireless controller, you could have a similar enough experience with a PC as you would with a console.

You could also build a reasonable gaming pc for about the same price and upgrade later as necessary. From what I can tell, the games are about the same price and with Steam/Amazon sales you can often get them much cheaper, especially if you wait a month or two (I bought Hitman Absolution last month for €3.24 on Amazon).

I know they are not the same thing, and many of the problems with the next gen consoles are pre-existing to some extent on PC i.e. no trading, but would anyone see it as a viable alternative?

I love my pc and I am primary pc gamer. What you are saying is true, but there is one issue with controller on pc.
    I got my pc hooked to 3 monitors and 42inch tv. I would love to play a lot of games on 42inch telly( sleeping dogs maxed out 1080p on 42inch telly looks sexy as feck! ), but I can't. You can play single player games and racing games no problem, but when you come to online side of the things - good luck!
    Try to play bf3 or cod with controller when every single prick out there is with mouse and keyboard. You will cry, a lot. World of tanks, lol, statecraft, wow, Diablo etc are impossible with controller too.

I love my pc, but I am getting ps4 too. There are things that both parties do best. Pc gaming with controller is not the one. Not yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I love my pc and I am primary pc gamer. What you are saying is true, but there is one issue with controller on pc.
    I got my pc hooked to 3 monitors and 42inch tv. I would love to play a lot of games on 42inch telly( sleeping dogs maxed out 1080p on 42inch telly looks sexy as feck! ), but I can't. You can play single player games and racing games no problem, but when you come to online side of the things - good luck!
    Try to play bf3 or cod with controller when every single prick out there is with mouse and keyboard. You will cry, a lot. World of tanks, lol, statecraft, wow, Diablo etc are impossible with controller too.

I love my pc, but I am getting ps4 too. There are things that both parties do best. Pc gaming with controller is not the one. Not yet anyway.
    You could always get one of these bad boys, I think you actually posted it before? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

anybody else just happy to keep their 360?

perhaps I'm showing my age but gaming gets very little of my time these days, there are still games that I want to and will play (eventually) but it's no longer a case of being able to take several hours out of a day to sit and veg. So I'm more than content to keep the 360 until such a time as they cut off my free sky (90% of it's use)

also, I question what's so great about the ps4 apart from a graphical improvement, it looks savage compared to the xbone but that's not really saying a lot and I really don't want to go back to that joypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Any mention of release dates for either yet? Presuming it'll be around xmas time anyway....

And for the record I'll be sticking withthe PS4 going on what I've read so far but that could all very well change come the time

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Nope, as the owner of an Xbox 360 I can safely say I won't be going anywhere near the Xbox One, 100 euro more expensive and 100 times less customer friendly. Playstation 4 is getting my custom this generation.

Pretty much sums it up for me also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    You could always get one of these bad boys, I think you actually posted it before? :D

yup. remember that big boy. I really want to get it, and I will. As soon as I am sorted back financially after moving! :o

Advertisement