Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone actually buying xbox one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I will more than likely buy an Xbox One but definitely not at launch and only when a significant drop in price is announced.

My money is firmly with Sony for launch day mainly because they seem to care about what I as a consumer want/need in a games console.

I just never got that with Microsoft over the past month or so. Microsoft have a huge fan base which I feel they will lose a lot of if they don't evaluate their policies/price point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Try to play bf3 or cod with controller when every single prick out there is with mouse and keyboard. You will cry, a lot. World of tanks, lol, statecraft, wow, Diablo etc are impossible with controller too.

I love my pc, but I am getting ps4 too. There are things that both parties do best. Pc gaming with controller is not the one. Not yet anyway.
    I've heard this said before that with a mouse and keyboard you can wipe the floor with someone using a controller. You'd think it would be the other way around with the ease of the controller in your hands. I actually prefer a mouse and keyboard but, I can see how the console crowd would find it awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I will get one, it just depends on the release date. The PS4 is my main console so fingers crossed their is a pay check between them and ill get both on day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

As others have said, I prefer the games announced for Xbox...but it's not enough to justify the additional cost and restrictions in place.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

deathrider wrote: »
    Is it wrong that while everyone is knee deep in this PS vs Xbox craic and who's buying what, all I can think is that I'd better start saving for a 3DS before the new Pokémon games hit the shelves?

Just did that myself yesterday. Amazon have the silver/black and red/black versions of the 3DS Xl for £119. Works out at €157 delivered with the charger. I missed on some great DS and 3DS games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'll only consider one when the price drops considerably. I actually dont know a single person who has said "i'm definitely getting an xbox one at launch". Sony have really made a killing here, I reckon.

Any mention of release dates for either yet? Presuming it'll be around xmas time anyway....

And for the record I'll be sticking withthe PS4 going on what I've read so far but that could all very well change come the time

The XBO will be released November 22 at the latest and 8/11/13 at the earliest.

Watch Dogs release date is the 22/11/13 for the 360/PS3, there is a chance it could be a launch title for the next gens too if those versions are not delayed.

PS4 is out between 8/11/13 and mid December. Sony did not confirm a world wide release but MS gave their 24 country list and we were on it. Hope they don't pull a PS3 again and release Japan and US first then pull the stock for Europe and give it to the US to make up for the US shortage while delaying the EU launch. They better have enough GDDR5 RAM sticks to go round.

Imagine the frenzy of a midnight launch with both consoles releasing on the same date, that would be epic and a clear vote by gamers at retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

360 owner at the moment, most certainly getting a PS4. The news of cross game party chat coming to PSN was the nail in the coffin for the Xbone for me. I am looking forward to playing the Uncharted series and all the other exclusives. Still gonna miss Live though, so many fond memories of Halo and Gears. And all that gamerscore for nothing!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Imagine the frenzy of a midnight launch with both consoles releasing on the same date, that would be epic and a clear vote by gamers at retail.

I just hope PS4 wont be coming out in december or delayed until next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I just hope PS4 wont be coming out in december or delayed until next year.

Id say thats very unlikely. You can already pre order one and they'll be doing everything they can to get it out by november so they can maximise sales during the christmas period. In reality it'll probably be at least 2 years after launch before there is any sort of a price drop.

360 owner at the moment, most certainly getting a PS4. The news of cross game party chat coming to PSN was the nail in the coffin for the Xbone for me. I am looking forward to playing the Uncharted series and all the other exclusives. Still gonna miss Live though, so many fond memories of Halo and Gears. And all that gamerscore for nothing!!!!

The PS4 can't play anything other than PS4 games as it stands so no Uncharted games unless they make a new one for PS4. When the online streaming service for PS3 games comes in in a year or so then yeah.

I'm going to miss my gamerscore too. Really adicitve and satisifying in a strange way that the PSN trophy system does not have for me,odd:confused:

I would like Sony to bring in a way to change the PSN ID even at a cost like you can on Xbox Live though.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Id say thats very unlikely. You can already pre order one and they'll be doing everything they can to get it out by november so they can maximise sales during the christmas period. In reality it'll probably be at least 2 years after launch before there is any sort of a price drop.

Wasn't the PS3 supposed to make the Christmas '06 deadline in Europe but with shortages in Japan and the US, Sony re-routed supplies at the factory level and left Europe to wait it out till March '07. Nothing to stop that happening again.

XBO will not hit Asia this year so Sony could return the favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'll only consider one when the price drops considerably. I actually dont know a single person who has said "i'm definitely getting an xbox one at launch". Sony have really made a killing here, I reckon.

I'm definitely getting an xbox on at launch... there you go.

I don't care if it phones home every 24 hours I've ten other wireless devices permanently connected to the internet and I know for sure they're upto something when I have my back turned.

I don't buy games that other people have had their paws on.

I'm not afraid of the Kinect sensor.

And I definitely don't mind paying €499 for the console. If it has the same lifespan as the 360 it'll work out costing €0.02 a week more than the PS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I prefer Xbone's exclusive games list, but I absolutely don't want to support their authentication/used games B.S.. So i'm in a bit a of a bind. I hope they flip-flop on it.

I don't think they can flip-flop at this stage - at least not on their authentication/online required stuff. They have made a commitment to cloud computing, not just cloud services like Sony. That means that developers have actually worked to include this into their game design. If Microsoft turn around now and change their minds, a whole host of games will need to go back to the drawing board.

For example, the new Forza is going to use cloud computing to create and expand their driving AI. They are depending on you being connected to the Internet for this to work. If Xbox allow games to be played offline indefinitely, this will mean the developers need to develop stand-alone AI also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Otacon wrote: »
    For example, the new Forza is going to use cloud computing to create and expand their driving AI. They are depending on you being connected to the Internet for this to work. If Xbox allow games to be played offline indefinitely, this will mean the developers need to develop stand-alone AI also.

I cann tell you as a coder that developing a learning AI is exponentially more difficult than traditional AI coding methods. That's also if what they are saying about cloud AI isn't BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

I have a 360 and PS3 at present and dont intend to buy either next gen console as it stands. Both have their flaws and another reason is I cant dedicate that much time to gaming anymore and when I do i enjoy pc gaming now.

Maybe a few years down the line when both consoles are sub 300 quid and have a good back catalogue

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I cann tell you as a coder that developing a learning AI is exponentially more difficult than traditional AI coding methods. That's also if what they are saying about cloud AI isn't BS.

If we assume that it isn't BS, then that means developers would need to swallow a loss in development time and cost if Microsoft decide to change their authentication policy now. Fair enough for first-party developers, that may not be a big deal as Microsoft pays their bills but third party ones may be less forgiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I will be getting the new Xbox One, can't wait for it and Battlefield 4! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

VeVeX wrote: »

I don't care if it phones home every 24 hours I've ten other wireless devices permanently connected to the internet and I know for sure they're upto something when I have my back turned.

And I definitely don't mind paying €499 for the console. If it has the same lifespan as the 360 it'll work out costing €0.02 a week more than the PS4.

Same as myself. Definitely buying one...but I will be waiting for a price drop as I think they may come under pressure to get closer to the PS4 price after "holiday" sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

DaLad wrote: »
    I will be getting the new Xbox One, can't wait for it and Battlefield 4! :D

I also can't wait for BF4 but, I won't be playing it on Xbone.

bucks73 wrote: »
    ...but I will be waiting for a price drop as I think they may come under pressure to get closer to the PS4 price after "holiday" sales.

Amazon.com, the US site has already price matched the XBO to the PS4. They dropped it yesterday. Don't know if it's a glitch or what but there you go.

Amazon.com, the US site has already price matched the XBO to the PS4. They dropped it yesterday. Don't know if it's a glitch or what but there you go.

I just checked there. It says $399 for the PS4 and $499 for the Xbone.

However, it also says the Xbone will be out on 31st Dec 2013 so..

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

fair enough you crazy b@stard , what attracts you to buy it rather than buying the ps4?

What about borrowing games from friends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Reon wrote: »
    fair enough you crazy b@stard , what attracts you to buy it rather than buying the ps4?

Who cares if he wants to buy a xbox one over a ps4 :confused: it's his choice.

The thread is turning into xbox bashing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭SentinelStance

The controller seals it for me.

The Xbox has a better selection of exclusives in my opinion. I am always online and I don't mind not trading games and I don't borrow or lend games.

So brand loyalty unfortunately wins this year for me.

Who cares if he wants to buy a xbox one over a ps4 :confused: it's his choice.

The thread is turning into xbox bashing.

If he wants to buy an Xbox One over a PS4 then more power to him but I think it's a fair question. I, like many people are curious as to what is drawing people towards MS this gen.

Nobody's laughing at people or slagging them off for wanting an Xbox One. A lot of people have expressed that they'll buy an Xbox at some stage but only if Microsoft get on the side of the consumer and fast.

If I was a Microsoft "fan boy", I'd be questioning MS as to how much they value their customer base. There are loyal customers out there who are going to jump ship.

Alot of the DRM reports coming out now is that the DRM is not as strict with XBO as everyone thinks and Sony is leaving DRM polocys up to the third party publishers and developers. There is talk of some games at least on XBO being installed fully then you can play it in "offline" mode forever. It's going to be a while before this whole mess is fully cleared up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony leaving it up to the publishers is the same set up they have on the PS3. If a publisher wants to impose those limitations on their servers it's got nothing to do with Sony.

Advertisement