Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone actually buying xbox one?

Comments

mcgovern wrote: »
    You don't pay 100 for online? You pay about €40, and you'll have to pay to play online for the PS4 as well. :confused:

Yes but with the PS4 you will actually get something more than just ability to play online. PS+ is the best thing to happen to gaming in years, for a little over 3 euro a month you get a number of great titles each month for the price of a coffee. Really cannot fault the service Znd I'd happily pay 100 euro a year for it. Gold on the other hand is nothing more than a shameless money maker. Wanna watch Netflix on your Xbox, well best get live as Microsoft are going to squeeze every cent they can out of gamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Yes but with the PS4 you will actually get something more than just ability to play online. PS+ is the best thing to happen to gaming in years, for a little over 3 euro a month you get a number of great titles each month for the price of a coffee. Really cannot fault the service Znd I'd happily pay 100 euro a year for it. Gold on the other hand is nothing more than a shameless money maker. Wanna watch Netflix on your Xbox, well best get live as Microsoft are going to squeeze every cent they can out of gamers.

Microsoft are now offering 2 games per month to gold subscribers starting July I think. Starting with Assassins Creed 2 & Halo 3 but could get a lot better, only time will tell like this whole "console war".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Im delighted that the Xbox will be such a fail, because then its much more likely that ALL of my friends will buy a PS4, which means I dont have to buy both consoles to play Fifa etc against all my friends online.

I think its great value for money, but Im only really going to be buying it to play Fifa seeing as Fifa 14 on the PC is not going to be using the new game engine.

I much prefer PC gaming. There is some talk about a few exclusives for Xbox only, but not a biggy. Thankfully Titanfall will be released on PC too, because that may have been a reason to make me buy an Xbox as its not on PS4. Have you all watched the gameplay video? Looks utterly amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It's possible if not likely that MS will continue with their PS+ equivalent they have started. Fable 3 is on the marketplace now, and there'll be 2 games a month coming to the 360.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It's possible if not likely that MS will continue with their PS+ equivalent they have started. Fable 3 is on the marketplace now, and there'll be 2 games a month coming to the 360.

They stated at E3 that, that's until the release of the Xbone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I don't know any one that will get one at launch, the reaction amongst my xbox owning friends and friends list people, is 100% negative, none getting it.

I might get a 2nd generation one, if things stay as they are.

If the price drops and if the DRM thing is abandoned, to combat Sony making a show of them, then perhaps I might get a launch one. But that's not gonna happen, so 2nd or 3rd gen for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That_Guy wrote: »
    If he wants to buy an Xbox One over a PS4 then more power to him but I think it's a fair question. I, like many people are curious as to what is drawing people towards MS this gen.

Nobody's laughing at people or slagging them off for wanting an Xbox One. A lot of people have expressed that they'll buy an Xbox at some stage but only if Microsoft get on the side of the consumer and fast.

If I was a Microsoft "fan boy", I'd be questioning MS as to how much they value their customer base. There are loyal customers out there who are going to jump ship.

Halo, Gears of War, etc etc. Microsoft has built the Xbox brand up. There will be people, alot of people, who want to continue playing the xbox exclusive franchises.

DaLad wrote: »
    Microsoft are now offering 2 games per month to gold subscribers starting July I think. Starting with Assassins Creed 2 & Halo 3 but could get a lot better, only time will tell like this whole "console war".

They're only doing it to try and combat the negative criticism they have faced in recent weeks. Much as they are trying they are way behind Sony and if they want to compete with PS+ will have to offer some newer titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

Who cares if he wants to buy a xbox one over a ps4 :confused: it's his choice.

The thread is turning into xbox bashing.

i dont care thats why i said fair enough and asked him why would he buy it over ps4 , i said it from the start i said would and "WHY"

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

If he wants to buy an Xbox One over a PS4 then more power to him but I think it's a fair question. I, like many people are curious as to what is drawing people towards MS this gen.

Nobody's laughing at people or slagging them off for wanting an Xbox One. A lot of people have expressed that they'll buy an Xbox at some stage but only if Microsoft get on the side of the consumer and fast.

If I was a Microsoft "fan boy", I'd be questioning MS as to how much they value their customer base. There are loyal customers out there who are going to jump ship.

THANK-YOU , i wasnt slagging him for buying it like he thinks i was, just curious to know why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Halo, Gears of War, etc etc. Microsoft has built the Xbox brand up. There will be people, alot of people, who want to continue playing the xbox exclusive franchises.

I understand the exclusive titles argument but do you think Microsoft have done enough to sway loyal Sony fans and newcomers to switch/start off with their product/services?

I understand the exclusive titles argument but do you think Microsoft have done enough to sway loyal Sony fans and newcomers to switch/start off with their product/services?

Absolutely not. They have done the reverse. And thats coming from an xbox Fan boy here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Xbox Boss Don Mattrick.

Quote:
    "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360," Mattrick said. "If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device."
    http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/microsoft-...brace-6409895/

Well there you have it. MS's attitude to its customers of next gen. Take it of leave it kinda way isn't it?

Nice attitude they have there. Really puting me off MS and Xbox and I loved the Xbox brand since it first came out, but wow. They are turning into Apple with their "you're holding it wrong" mentality.

Do Microsoft actually make their employees? They are all emotionless Vulcans

If they have to do a U-turn due to the price and DRM, I hope this Don Mattrick is the first man fired.

Do Microsoft actually make their employees? They are all emotionless Vulcans

Jay Allard the creator or design lead of the 360 was a decent chap back in the day. Think he has moved on now though.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    If they have to do a U-turn due to the price and DRM, I hope this Don Mattrick is the first man fired.

The other guy, Phil Spencer is as deluded as him. He came out last night and more or less said we have the superior product, the only game in town and "gamers will vote with their wallets". How right he is on the last part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

On Xbox 360 note. Just read this:

The new Xbox 360 will be priced at $199.99 for the 4GB console, $299.99 for the 250GB edition or $299.99 for the 4GB Kinect Bundle and is available to buy now.

Are they mad?! Is the new redesigned one is more expensive then old one?! I was looking forward to new cheaper 360 as my old one bricked in. I still got a good few xbox 360 games. Making it more expensive does not make any sense at all! :confused:

That's it Sony must have spiked the drinking water at Redmond HQ.

This just gets better and better, you couldn't make this stuff up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

That's it Sony must have spiked the drinking water at Redmond HQ.

This just gets better and better, you couldn't make this stuff up.

Why does it get better and better? A sole dominant console in this day and age won't do the industry any good. Two competitive consoles is the ideal situation. Instead we have a console winning not by its own ability but through the mistakes of its competition. That is not what you want to see and if people stop gazing through their fanboy eyes then they can realise that Sony dominating the console market for the next 4-5 years is NOT a good thing for the consumer. When a company becomes dominant often there tends to be a severe slacking in service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

theteal wrote: »
    anybody else just happy to keep their 360?

perhaps I'm showing my age but gaming gets very little of my time these days, there are still games that I want to and will play (eventually) but it's no longer a case of being able to take several hours out of a day to sit and veg. So I'm more than content to keep the 360 until such a time as they cut off my free sky (90% of it's use)

also, I question what's so great about the ps4 apart from a graphical improvement, it looks savage compared to the xbone but that's not really saying a lot and I really don't want to go back to that joypad.
    pm me how u get free sky please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It's not really free sky when you're paying MS to access the online functionality though...

I know this gen hasn't even began yet but what happens waaaaaaay down the line when Microsoft halt Xbox One services altogether? My Xbox One games will be rendered absolutely useless.

I know this gen hasn't even began yet but what happens waaaaaaay down the line when Microsoft halt Xbox One services altogether? My Xbox One games will be rendered absolutely useless.

In the case of this, there's likely the option of disabling call home through a firmware update which would be issued at the console's end of life, allowing people to continue playing their game collections without MS needing loads of servers still dedicated to the service

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Nope, definitely not. Far too expensive and some of the restrictions on it are a real "fu(k you" to the fans. I wont be getting the PS4 either. I dont know what it is but I just dont like sony's machines.
    The WiiU does nothing for me either. Basically all the main next-gen machines seem to be a huge let down.
    In all likelihood I'll probably stick with my 360, Gamecube and N64. My next purchase will probably be a second hand Wii so i can play the Mario and Zelda games. You can pick one up for about 40 quid these days so that will do me.

COYVB wrote: »
    In the case of this, there's likely the option of disabling call home through a firmware update which would be issued at the console's end of life, allowing people to continue playing their game collections without MS needing loads of servers still dedicated to the service
    I was thinking that, but if the games work the exact same way as ever, it would be them saying the cloud talk was all guff. Now, at that point it'll not matter as the sales will have gone in, so who knows. They are making claims about how much the cloud will be used for processing things in game. If that was true, at some point the games will not function as they once did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

What about borrowing games from friends?

I don't have and friends :(

Just kidding.

I like to buy games and keep them. I rarely sit down and play any game in its entirety. I find it hard to finish a game but I do like to be able to pull it off the shelf every now and again to give it a whirl. Normally friends will want a game back before im finished.

To be completely honest if I had Fifa and Forza I'd be relatively content.

The cloud thing IS guff. If they're relying on server side processing for these launch titles, the system has bigger problems than are even apparent now

COYVB wrote: »
    The cloud thing IS guff. If they're relying on server side processing for these launch titles, the system has bigger problems than are even apparent now
    I don't know if the cloud stuff is guff or not, but assuming it is doing something even if not as good as advertised... It doesn't matter whether they are launch titles or not in that case, there are games that would just not work the same as they do on release after a number of years. Given the assumption there is *anything* even if not much to the cloud, that is an inescapable fact.

• Advertisement

VeVeX wrote: »
    I don't have and friends :(

Just kidding.

I like to buy games and keep them. I rarely sit down and play any game in its entirety. I find it hard to finish a game but I do like to be able to pull it off the shelf every now and again to give it a whirl. Normally friends will want a game back before im finished.

To be completely honest if I had Fifa and Forza I'd be relatively content.

Fair enough. I wasn't having a pop or anything. I was just generally curious as to what people see in the Xbox that they don't see in the PS4.

Advertisement