Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone actually buying xbox one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I don't know if the cloud stuff is guff or not, but assuming it is doing something even if not as good as advertised... It doesn't matter whether they are launch titles or not in that case, there are games that would just not work the same as they do on release after a number of years. Given the assumption there is *anything* even if not much to the cloud, that is an inescapable fact.

Not necessarily. If the cloud is being used as a way to stop piracy by running certain things, that could surely be patched back over to run locally at life end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Just curious, why is the xbone twice as large. Is it just for the power supply? Or perhaps it'll have better ventilation too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

grizzly wrote: »
    Just curious, why is the xbone twice as large. Is it just for the power supply? Or perhaps it'll have better ventilation too?

The XBO is larger and has an external transformer too. Could be for big fans inside.

The PS4 has it's back all open as a vent but it's smaller and has no external transformer. The PS4 looks like a more technically accomplished design. I am still amazed how small it is compared to XBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

reading every comment here, irrelevant but if you're reading this what games would you guys get and what game would the most appealing for you ps4 and xbone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Reon wrote: »
    reading every comment here, irrelevant but if you're reading this what games would you guys get and what game would the most appealing for you ps4 and xbone

I really liked the look of Dead Rising 3. It looks like a more gritty game. It'd be a definite purchase whenever I do get around to getting an Xbone.

The Halo trailer was good but I'd wait until I see some actual gameplay footage.
    Likewise with Quantum Break. Looks like a game which could have a lot of potential. Is that multi-platform or did they announce this is an Xbone exclusive. Either way, it'd be a game I'll be keeping tabs on.

Titanfall looked like a fun FPS. Would be a game I'd consider picking up.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I really liked the look of Dead Rising 3. It looks like a more gritty game. It'd be a definite purchase whenever I do get around to getting an Xbone.

The Halo trailer was good but I'd wait until I see some actual gameplay footage.
    Likewise with Quantum Break. Looks like a game which could have a lot of potential. Is that multi-platform or did they announce this is an Xbone exclusive. Either way, it'd be a game I'll be keeping tabs on.

Titanfall looked like a fun FPS. Would be a game I'd consider picking up.

never searched any of those trailers i myself wont be getting the xbone i'l be getting the ps4, all the games look really good, very curious to c what the gameplay for the dark sorcerer will look like pretty strange game funny as sh!t trailer for it though :) , so why do you want to get the xbone instead of ps4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm going to need to see more on D4 on the One, but no matter how good that is, it alone isn't going to sell a console to me. Especially at that price. The PS4, well it's the same story, I'll need to see a lot more from the games there to know for sure.

The best games are ones coming to both systems. Metal Gear Solid 5 looks amazing. I'm going to be getting Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed 4 too, though I could get those on current gen if I wanted. I think I'll end up getting them on next gen though, whenever I get around to buying next gen.

Neither system deserves a buy on the strength of their exclusives at the moment from my perspective. Though, obviously, mileage will vary. For instance, Killzone fans will say it justifies a PS4 and Forza fans will say it justifies the One. I'd suggest let the consoles release, the dust settle, take your time and look at what both have to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

never searched any of those trailers i myself wont be getting the xbone i'l be getting the ps4, all the games look really good, very curious to c what the gameplay for the dark sorcerer will look like pretty strange game funny as sh!t trailer for it though :) , so why do you want to get the xbone instead of ps4
    The Dark Sorcerer isn't a game, it's just a tech demo from Quantic Dream showing off some of the advances in their engine. They did something similar with "The Casting", pre-Heavy Rain and "Kara", pre-Beyond: Two Souls. The head of the Sorcerer is, of course, the head they showed at the initial reveal back in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

PS4 wins@ Sony does not stop me from buying a used PS4 game. Big deal. Microsoft XB1 every game will have to be bought at full retail price.

XB1 wins@ Controller is better

PS4 wins@ Has better hardware specs than the Microsoft next gen console has. Why Microsoft skipped over talking about their specs in clear way i don't like.

XB1 wins@ Showed more interesting games, but PS4 showed enough games to be interested in their console also.

PS4 wins@ Does not require you to get online every 24 hours. Not really a big deal for me. But if your internet is not good, and craps out lot, or don't have an internet connection. XB1 might not be for you.

XB1 wins@ Dedicated servers planned for every XB1 game no more peer to peer gaming. Big deal if your internet connection is bad. Sony not sure what they're doing on this front?

Ps4@ Sony will charge for PS4 online play, so does Microsoft. But i think Sony online package is a better offer and deal. Not a PS3 user just going on what i read.

This all i can think of at the moment. I've been an X box 360 user for six years. I'm 60/40 in favor of Sony presently. That might change in the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

PS4 wins@ Sony does not stop me from buying a used PS4 game. Big deal. Microsoft XB1 every game will have to be bought at full retail price.

XB1 wins@ Controller is better

PS4 wins@ Has better hardware specs than the Microsoft next gen console has. Why Microsoft skipped over talking about their specs in clear way i don't like.

XB1 wins@ Showed more interesting games, but PS4 showed enough games to be interested in their console also.

PS4 wins@ Does not require you to get online every 24 hours. Not really a big deal for me. But if your internet is not good, and craps out lot, or don't have an internet connection. XB1 might not be for you.

XB1 wins@ Dedicated servers planned for every XB1 game no more peer to peer gaming. Big deal if your internet connection is bad. Sony not sure what they're doing on this front?

Ps4@ Sony will charge for PS4 online play, so does Microsoft. But i think Sony online package is a better offer and deal. Not a PS3 user just going on what i read.

This all i can think of at the moment. I've been an X box 360 user for six years. I'm 60/40 in favor of Sony presently. That might change in the coming months.

They skipped about that at E3 cause it was all about the games. Can't argue with any of the points though.

At the moment, I'm Xbone. But I won't decide until gamescon, or even till they release. Theres tonnes of time left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

They skipped about that at E3 cause it was all about the games. Can't argue with any of the points though.

At the moment, I'm Xbone. But I won't decide until gamescon, or even till they release. Theres tonnes of time left.

I was on about the Microsoft May conference. They showed a slide of their specs for about 10 seconds, but no discussion.

Sony conference before E3, they clearly and precisely explained why they have the hardware they do inside their console.,

gizmo wrote: »
    The Dark Sorcerer isn't a game, it's just a tech demo from Quantic Dream showing off some of the advances in their engine. They did something similar with "The Casting", pre-Heavy Rain and "Kara", pre-Beyond: Two Souls. The head of the Sorcerer is, of course, the head they showed at the initial reveal back in February.
    i knew that :P haha do you know if theyre actually making another heavy rain type of game?

i knew that :P haha do you know if theyre actually making another heavy rain type of game?

Besides Beyond: Two Souls for the PS3. Yes they are working on a PS4 title. Not announced yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

For PS4.... The Order, Killzone.

For Xbox... Spark, Titanfall

Multiplat... Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Battlefield

I am very suspicious of 'Ryse'. It was in development as a 'kinect' title for a number of years and it looks like it still plays like one. The on-rails element is still there as are the OTE's (in place of hand gestures)

I'll be getting a PS4 for all the obvious reasons said here earlier and also because seven years on Sony are still supporting their platform with fresh new IP's like 'the last of us' and 'beyond-2 souls'. Also Titanfall is only a timed exclusive on Xbox so i'll pick it up on the PS4 when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Nope.

Two 360's red ringed. Why would i give them any money ever again?

:D

Might get a PS4 some day when its half price. PC will do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Not a chance not in the first year or 2 anyway, the only game not going to be on ps4 ttht I am interested to is Titanfall, and no game is going to make me throw down 499 euro

boiledeggs wrote: »
    Not a chance not in the first year or 2 anyway, the only game not going to be on ps4 ttht I am interested to is Titanfall, and no game is going to make me throw down 499 euro
    It's probable that will be released at some stage on the PS4. Maybe after only a year.

so true ps4 will be the new big thing cannot wait for it to come out , pity it cant play ps3 games :/

Maybe but a lot o the talk seems to be that MS put up alot of money to try keep it exculsive so who knows. But it is also coming to 360 so not that much of a big deal. Would still love to play on new generation, not going to be xbox 1 anytime soon though.

MS have to have an unbelivable lineup of exculsives and a rice drop before I consider getting. I have no interest in TV and I don't trade in that many games and mostly buy digital if price is better, so Xbox1's way of treating used games isn't making me buy one but the way they are talking and the message they are sending to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't have been getting either on launch, but down the line, I'll pick up an XBone, largely because of Halo. The PS3's line up of games did not appeal to me the same way those on the Xbox did, and I have a feeling it'll largely be the same this time around. I'm not a fan of the price or the related fact that you have no choice other than the Kinect bundle....however, the other points that have whipped people up into such a frenzy, I feel largely indifferent towards. I use my PC for gaming mostly, but every now and again it's great to fire up the 360 and play some COD/Halo with friends abroad, something I could see happening again with the XBone as several of my friends are huge Halo fans. I also loathe the PS controller, having been an Xbox player since 2002, as ridiculous as it sounds, it would put me off the PS4.

Not sure why there's such focus on the PS4 being a little more powerful; the Xbox original was much more powerful than the PS2 but the PS2 still outsold it by the absolute bucketload throughout and beyond their rivalry. I wouldn't let that bother me, especially with neither console is going to be as good as a good gaming PC anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

would they pay 100 to play online?, the ps controller isnt that bad is it? im sure you could get use to it, what does drm stand for?

I really don't like the analogs on the ps3 controller . However I've seen ps3 controllers with the xbox layout before .

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I really don't like the analogs on the ps3 controller . However I've seen ps3 controllers with the xbox layout before .

Yeah you can get third party ones and some of them are pretty goo but new PS 4 controller has different anolag sticks

boiledeggs wrote: »
    Yeah you can get third party ones and some of them are pretty goo but new PS 4 controller has different anolag sticks
    I have far more issue with the size of the controller and triggers than the analog sticks, tbh.

I have far more issue with the size of the controller and triggers than the analog sticks, tbh.

The PS4 controller is bigger and chunkier now. All reports for E3 say it's far more comfortable for normal-big sized hands (thankfully) and you can grip it better. The sticks have more resistance and less deadzones also the trigger shapes have changed to convex like the 360s rather than the silly concave design. I hate the dualshock design and always have from the PS1 days, I loved the Dreamcast controller and then Xbox made their master piece controller with Xbox and it bacme my primary console gaming platform becasue of that since 2002 until now.

If the controller for the PS4 didn't have these changes I would be on the fence and wait it out a bit but I'm now sold on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

I am pretty bummed not being able to play the Last of Us. The Xbox exclusives have not being the spectacular lately, especially the Gears and Halo releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I honestly don't think anyone should buy one.

In doing so you are supporting a company that thinks it's okay that you license games rather than own them. You will no longer be able to swap, trade in or resell games without restriction.

It also prevents you from playing single player games that you have "bought" unless you have an internet connection so your machine can check in every 24 hours. As I understand it, if your internet goes down you won't be playing any games at all once you miss a check in.

Even if you have a reliable internet connection do you want to say that you think not owning games despite paying for them and not being able to play single player games without the internet is okay? That that's a model we as consumers will accept?

This is especially so when there is a more powerful and cheaper alternative that does not enforce any of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sin0city wrote: »
    I honestly don't think anyone should buy one.

In doing so you are supporting a company that thinks it's okay that you license games rather than own them. You will no longer be able to swap, trade in or resell games without restriction.

It also prevents you from playing single player games that you have "bought" unless you have an internet connection so your machine can check in every 24 hours. As I understand it, if your internet goes down you won't be playing any games at all once you miss a check in.

Even if you have a reliable internet connection do you want to say that you think not owning games despite paying for them and not being able to play single player games without the internet is okay? That that's a model we as consumers will accept?

This is especially so when there is a more powerful and cheaper alternative that does not enforce any of this.

I honestly would love people not buy xbox one for the same reasons you list.
    it's not about being a fanboy of alternative, but just to teach a big corporation like Microsoft a lesson. They are forgetting that consumer is doing a favor to them by buying their products and giving them money. Not corporation doing us a favor by letting us play some of the games, that we don't even own.
    I would strongly recommend even hardcore fanboys to hold off buying Xbox one on launch. Let Microsoft learn it's lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

I have had an xbox since they first launched it (having had all of the previous playstations PS1,PS2) and I never regretted the decision. I liked the layout of the actual navigation through the xbox and always thought it was more refined then the PS alternative. I also thought the controller had a much better feel. And I thought the exclusive to xbox games where much, much better then the PS alternative. I didnt mind the fee for playing on xbox live as I always thought the service was reliable.

However, that being said Microsoft have just made it too difficult to justify getting the XBone. They are trying to move away from being a game console (and I'm not a hardcore gamer, but at the end of the day, a game console should be just that).

Preferably I would prefer to stay with Microsoft's next gen console. But Sony seem to actually value there consumer's. I'm hoping the PS4 will live up to the 360.

I also don't feel you should have to wait for Microsoft to change there ways. I usually don't buy consoles on there release date (or even close to it) as I find them a rip off. But this year, I will go straight out and buy the PS4 the week it is released.

Here's hoping it will be a good choice (all be it Microsoft have forced my hand)

I am pretty bummed not being able to play the Last of Us. The Xbox exclusives have not being the spectacular lately, especially the Gears and Halo releases.
    Take a look at other exclusives on it, and upcoming ones. I honestly think you'd be best off buying a PS3. You'd get it for very cheap, have ages worth of time to play the games, and who knows, even enough time to get a price drop. Though even if you don't, you'd have played lots of great games.

I got one because I wanted to play Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Heavy Rain and MGS 4. I'd played (in fact bought) MGS 4 already as I had access to a PS3 thought not MGS 4. I'll probably get the Uncharted trilogy. I played the demo of the first, and the motion controls put me off, but I'll get past it because apparently the games are great.

It'll be a while before I get to PS3 games I want to play, I've put off some games on my 360 backlog now to get some of my Wii stuff done. I'm playing Xenoblade now, will play The Last Story then, and then Pandora's Tower. Will probably go on to The Last of us then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

I'll probably get the Uncharted trilogy. I played the demo of the first, and the motion controls put me off, but I'll get past it because apparently the games are great.

The Uncharted trilogy was spectacular (the only games my girlfriend will watch me play) The first was good but it really turned it up to 11 with the sequel. I don't remember any motion controls in the games but then again I haven't played the first one in 5 years.

Also don't forget, God of War 3, Demon's souls and I think you might like Valkyria Chronciles.

EDIT: Sony have implied that you'll be able to play most ps3 games on the ps4 through Gakai. Although this feature won't be available at launch and you'd have to re-buy the games if you already have them.

• Advertisement

happytramp wrote: »
    Also don't forget, God of War 3, Demon's souls and I think you might like Valkyria Chronciles.
    I have God of War 1 - 3 though haven't played them yet, and Valkyria Chronicles too. Same story. They are amongst the games I have yet to play.

Advertisement