Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone actually buying xbox one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

everytime i look at these trailers for the ps4 i get a gamegasm why cant it just come out tomorrow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I thought this was a post for people who were actually buying an Xbox One ffs?

Want to discuss PS4, go that way >>>

Rant over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

sin0city wrote: »
    I honestly don't think anyone should buy one.

In doing so you are supporting a company that thinks it's okay that you license games rather than own them. You will no longer be able to swap, trade in or resell games without restriction.

It also prevents you from playing single player games that you have "bought" unless you have an internet connection so your machine can check in every 24 hours. As I understand it, if your internet goes down you won't be playing any games at all once you miss a check in.

Even if you have a reliable internet connection do you want to say that you think not owning games despite paying for them and not being able to play single player games without the internet is okay? That that's a model we as consumers will accept?

This is especially so when there is a more powerful and cheaper alternative that does not enforce any of this.

Valve and various other services do exactly the same thing on PC yet everyone seems to accept and love their models. It's annoying and something I'd prefer to do without but there's good reasoning behind it in supporting publishers so I don't think the massive backlash is deserved

On the Internet thing, I honestly don't think I've lost Internet once for more than 24 hours in the past 5 years, if I did then I could just tether my phone for a quick connection or at the very worst just go a day or two without gaming. I can't see that ever being a
    problem for 99% of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

For me the €400 price tag is the main thing putting me towards switching to the PS4.

I see a lot of people countering the DRM introduction with "I'm always online anyway". I would be too, but what happens in a few years when they switch off the Xbox one servers for the newer Xbox? Goodbye to all of those games that you have bought over the years that you can never play again despite having all of the discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Keno 92 wrote: »
    For me the €400 price tag is the main thing putting me towards switching to the PS4.

I see a lot of people countering the DRM introduction with "I'm always online anyway". I would be too, but what happens in a few years when they switch off the Xbox one servers for the newer Xbox? Goodbye to all of those games that you have bought over the years that you can never play again despite having all of the discs.

Someone said in previous comments on this thread that most likely they'd introduce a final update that would remove the need to check the DRM on their servers every 24 hours. Makes sense when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I honestly would love people not buy xbox one for the same reasons you list.
    it's not about being a fanboy of alternative, but just to teach a big corporation like Microsoft a lesson. They are forgetting that consumer is doing a favor to them by buying their products and giving them money. Not corporation doing us a favor by letting us play some of the games, that we don't even own.
    I would strongly recommend even hardcore fanboys to hold off buying Xbox one on launch. Let Microsoft learn it's lesson.

I fully agree with this. I was going to buy one for Forza 5 alone, like I did with the 360 but, on principal alone, I wont. The complete disregard for thier loyal fanbase is atrocious.

I wonder if there will be anything dodgy with buying the console second hand?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

DaLad wrote: »
    Someone said in previous comments on this thread that most likely they'd introduce a final update that would remove the need to check the DRM on their servers every 24 hours. Makes sense when you think about it.

Why is it likely? They'll most likely want you to buy them again on the new platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Take a look at other exclusives on it, and upcoming ones. I honestly think you'd be best off buying a PS3. You'd get it for very cheap, have ages worth of time to play the games, and who knows, even enough time to get a price drop. Though even if you don't, you'd have played lots of great games.

I got one because I wanted to play Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Heavy Rain and MGS 4. I'd played (in fact bought) MGS 4 already as I had access to a PS3 thought not MGS 4. I'll probably get the Uncharted trilogy. I played the demo of the first, and the motion controls put me off, but I'll get past it because apparently the games are great.

It'll be a while before I get to PS3 games I want to play, I've put off some games on my 360 backlog now to get some of my Wii stuff done. I'm playing Xenoblade now, will play The Last Story then, and then Pandora's Tower. Will probably go on to The Last of us then.

Uncharted 2 is genuinely one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had, the first is good, aside from an almost gamebreaking section late in the game, but the 2nd is in a class of its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

That's one possible answer to the thread title. Though, not the only one. I see your point, though, and think the thread should be really for people who either bought either the xbox or 360, or alternatively had been strongly considering the One but just aren't on the basis of what we've seen. People who had no interest in getting an Xbox whatever they had on offer don't really have anything to contribute.

Want to discuss PS4, go that way >>>

Rant over :)

well no not really i prefer this reading about other peoples opinions yes the majority of it is badmouthing xbone but it would be the same if ps4 did the same thing, besides it allows people to read about the xbone so they can have a better idea of what to buy, i dont mind if it goes off the subject on whose buying what its entertaining enough for me :p but hey if you're buying an xbone go head its for your own entertainment not anyone elses :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Anyone else pronounce it xBONE in their head?

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Anyone else pronounce it xBONE in their head?

thought that was it? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

If you happen to live in Poland or any other country not named on this list, you can't play Xbox one at all

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

snausages wrote: »
    If you happen to live in Poland or any other country not named on this list, you can't play Xbox one at all

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer
    Are they not the countries with support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Are they not the countries with support?

That's what he said, anyone not on the list can't use the XBO. Not at launch anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

krudler wrote: »
    Uncharted 2 is genuinely one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had, the first is good, aside from an almost gamebreaking section late in the game, but the 2nd is in a class of its own.

Sorry to go off topic. What section are you talking about I can't remember the game that well. Use spoilers :)

happytramp wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic. What section are you talking about I can't remember the game that well. Use spoilers :)

go off topic as much as you want this thread should be any talk about ps4 and xbone :)

That's what he said, anyone not on the list can't use the XBO. Not at launch anyway.
    The poor Portuguese :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭bennyl10

mcgovern wrote: »
    You don't pay 100 for online? You pay about €40, and you'll have to pay to play online for the PS4 as well. :confused:

Psn is,free to use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Psn is,free to use.

You need PS+ to play online on PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭bennyl10

COYVB wrote: »
    You need PS+ to play online on PS4

You dont, certain features whicj were accesible before, will now only be available to ps+, features such as downloadng ps3 titles, but general online play is same as previous.

At least that was my understanding.. sony were yet to confirm the extent to which ps+'s going to grow to.

can anyone tell me what perks comes with psn+ i never got it for ps3 so i havnt a clue what it is

bennyl10 wrote: »
    You dont, certain features whicj were accesible before, will now only be available to ps+, features such as downloadng ps3 titles, but general online play is same as previous.

At least that was my understanding.. sony were yet to confirm the extent to which ps+'s going to grow to.

Gonna say this one very slowly, pay attention:

You

Need

PS+

To

Play

On

PS4

Reon wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what perks comes with psn+ i never got it for ps3 so i havnt a clue what it is

loads of free games, discounts on purchases and early access

loads of free games, discounts on purchases and early access

i see and these free games? are they decent full games or mini games? and do they only last a limited time? from ps3 experience..if u had 1

i see and these free games? are they decent full games or mini games? and do they only last a limited time? from ps3 experience..if u had 1

Recent titles include:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Saints Row 3
    Sleeping Dogs
    XCOM Enemy Unknown

They last as long as you have a PS+ account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Gonna say this one very slowly, pay attention:

You

Need

PS+

To

Play

On

PS4
    MMOs and F2P games dont require PS+

Also publishers are free to offer free multiplayer.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/ps4-publishers-decide-if-free-to-play-multiplayer-requires-ps-plus/
    http://www.gamesradar.com/playstation-plus-not-needed-netflix-f2p-multiplayer-ps4/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All you need to know is in the link below. You can get it for cheaper than €50 per year when sales are on.

http://ie.playstation.com/psn/support/ps3/detail/linked285072/item285067/PlayStation-Plus-frequently-asked-questions/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 SlickanTwisted

I,m doin neither. after being a dedicated xboxer since its release ( switched from ps) I have no desire to get the xbox one. the ps look way nicer but I think I,m just gonna save a few more euro and build my own better pc. can go back to enjoying what I did which was just to play games either on or offline. M/S in my opinion really shot themselves in the foot by trying to make this all in onemachine when all we really wanna do is play awesome games. I might get the ps 4 but I have my heart set on pc gaming
    :)

Advertisement