Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone actually buying xbox one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

I think things like Kinect etc are all pretty much gimmicks.

Its the same with all those kind of things, whether it be dance mats, playstation move, light guns, track ir, wii fit. They seem like a great idea and make you imagine how fantastic something could be. Then you either get it or try it at a friends house who was sucked into the marketing, then you realise that after a few days the novelty factor wears off and you cant be bothered with the hassle, or you find ways around it and you can do better with a normal controller.

The thing that the next gen consoles really ought to have, and to be honest I dont know if they have support for it or not, but they should have high quality mechanical keyboards and high quality gaming mice available to them. This will make them much better for media/internet browsing related tasks and it might just open up the doors for cross-platform gaming involving the PC. As it stands, the much better control provided by mouse and keyboard makes it impossible for a console player to be competitive against a PC gamer, so cross-platform play wouldve been a waste of time.

Even if the PC variants of games such as Fifa had a console mode, which forced the PC to emulate the exact same gaming conditions as the consoles, then maybe that would be workable. The thing with PC gaming is that there never has been a level playing field because depending on your budget, you can have a serious advantage over your opponent. When I play Fifa 13 on my PC I have a huge advantage over my friends on a single monitor because I can see the full pitch at all times. Triple screen 7680x1440 Fifa anyone?
    so true but its fun for youngsters like if you have guest over but i never play with my ps move :P,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

The thing that the next gen consoles really ought to have, and to be honest I dont know if they have support for it or not, but they should have high quality mechanical keyboards and high quality gaming mice available to them. This will make them much better for media/internet browsing related tasks and it might just open up the doors for cross-platform gaming involving the PC. As it stands, the much better control provided by mouse and keyboard makes it impossible for a console player to be competitive against a PC gamer, so cross-platform play wouldve been a waste of time.

Personally I have no interest in playing video games with a mouse and keyboard. Using them all day at work, they are the last thing I want to see at home.

And correct me if I'm wrong but the PS4 touchpad is supposed to work like the trackpad on a laptop so it will make browsing etc. easier.

Just to clear this up. Bundling the new Kinect is the reason why it's €100 more expensive. Having the Kinect and Smartglass will give Xbox One far more ways to interact with games etc.

And what are you talking about with €100 for online?? I pay €40 a year and it's well worth it as 1 ) Live is much better than PSN. And it seems a lot of people missed the Sony announcement saying they will charge a subscription just like Xbox Live for people to play online on the PS4. Even playing field there now.

In spite of the ridiculous DRM stuff, 2) I think the Xbox One is better all round, and the games that MS showed off are superior to the PS4.

1) Playstation Plus > Live. Unless you don't like games.

2) Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

sin0city wrote: »
    Personally I have no interest in playing video games with a mouse and keyboard. Using them all day at work, they are the last thing I want to see at home.

And correct me if I'm wrong but the PS4 touchpad is supposed to work like the trackpad on a laptop so it will make browsing etc. easier.

Its down to personal choice I guess. I personally hate trackpads, if Im at a desk and was restricted to using a laptop, Id always have a mouse plugged in, way faster and easier.

It would just mean console gamers would be on a level playing field if they have the choice to use mouse/keyboard.

On another note, it may well open up the consoles to games which are PC exclusive, due to it being difficult to convert to console due to actually controlling the game. Things like Arma 3 would be very difficult to have on the console with just a controller, its hard enough on PC with all the combos there are!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

1) Playstation Plus > Live. Unless you don't like games.

2) Why?

Ok, I should have said "in my opinion" if you want to be pedantic.

1) First off, the Xbox Dashboard and Live interface is better and more intuitive to use than PSN. Friends list browsing, cross chat and party chat are better. One of my big annoyances with PSN is that any title updates, or console updates take FOREVER to download and update.

2) There are no PS4 exclusive games that interest me. Titanfall, Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 would sell the console for me. But I'm not pre-booking anything until I hear more about the console and games. Also, the PS4 controller looks as gammy and awkward to use as the PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Just to clear this up. Bundling the new Kinect is the reason why it's €100 more expensive. Having the Kinect and Smartglass will give Xbox One far more ways to interact with games etc.

And what are you talking about with €100 for online?? I pay €40 a year and it's well worth it as Live is much better than PSN. And it seems a lot of people missed the Sony announcement saying they will charge a subscription just like Xbox Live for people to play online on the PS4. Even playing field there now.

In spite of the ridiculous DRM stuff, I think the Xbox One is better all round, and the games that MS showed off are superior to the PS4.

Playstation plus also comes with free games every month, discounts and early access to betas and the like so you get a lot more bang for your buck. Also one subscription covers every Sony console so at the moment I'm getting free ps3 and vita games and that subscription will carry over to ps4 where I'll get a free game on launch day so it's a much better proposition that Xbox live at the moment. I won't have tosubscribe as I already am. Also they're not keeping Netflix and other apps behind the pay wall, all of those will be free to use.

The Kinect will pretty much be the same as it was this generation because Sony aren't bundling a camera with the console so any multi-platform game can't count on Playstation owners having a camera which means any Kinect functionally will be completely non-essential and largely perfunctory.

Edit: you're also talking about PSN on the Ps3, it will pretty much be the same as Xbox live on ps4, cross game chat and all.

Anyone who has used the ps4 controller at e3 has said it's a great controller, and very comfortable to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Also they're not keeping Netflix and other apps behind the pay wall, all of those will be free to use.
    This cracks me up, market the xbox as a media machine and then require a subscription before they'll allow you to subscribe to other subscription based services. You couldnt make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

drumswan wrote: »
    This cracks me up, market the xbox as a media machine and then require a subscription before they'll allow you to subscribe to other subscription based services. You couldnt make it up.

Its so ironic!!! Hardcore gamers made the XBOX 360 their home and these are exactly the same people MS are driving away. No one in their right mind would see the XBOX as anything other than a gaming machine.

I have not once seen a comment go up anywhere saying "great at last I can have all my media needs on one device but the gaming side is of no interest to me and I don't mind paying an extra subscription on top of my sky, netflix etc etc etc"

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Its so ironic!!! Hardcore gamers made the XBOX 360 their home and these are exactly the same people MS are driving away. No one in their right mind would see the XBOX as anything other than a gaming machine.

I have not once seen a comment go up anywhere saying "great at last I can have all my media needs on one device but the gaming side is of no interest to me and I don't mind paying an extra subscription on top of my sky, netflix etc etc etc"

That's a good point, but who is going to buy a games console and not use it for games?? An online subscription has been near essential for gaming on Xbox since day 1. And I guess with this generation, it finally is completely integrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

So far shown at E3, the touch pad is used for ability selection of your bot in Killzone and is used for the in game item menue in Diablo 3. It's a clickable button too.

• Advertisement

That's a good point, but who is going to buy a games console and not use it for games?? An online subscription has been near essential for gaming on Xbox since day 1. And I guess with this generation, it finally is completely integrated.

The XBOX 360 Evolved from this

zw8a.jpg

Into the XBone

5vjq.jpg

Time will tell.....

So far shown at E3, the touch pad is used for ability selection of your bot in Killzone and is used for the in game item menue in Diablo 3. It's a clickable button too.

Interview with Shuhei Yoshida, head of Sony's worldwide studios.

Me: Is the touchpad a thing for my thumbs? For me to reach in to touch it? Or is it for me to take my hand off one of the controller's prongs and use it with my pointer finger?

Yoshida: Both. Having a touchpad or touch input we really wanted to do because, these days, all these devices have touch control. Instead of trying to replace buttons or sticks with touch we thought that some things cannot be done as well as they can with a touchpad—like swiping or pinch-to-zoom. These functions are easier to do with multi-touch. But we didn't want to make the main control with sticks and buttons more difficult. We really focused on making this basic stuff better… We worked on that first and then looked at what space we had left to incorporate this.
    It's designed so that you can reach into the edge of the touchpad with your thumb to do simple functions…

Me: To scroll and things like that?

Yoshida: Yeah. Or some applications, you might want to put the controller down and use the touchpad like...the touchpad on the PC. We are thinking about other ways to use it.
    http://kotaku.com/5985921/a-man-who-has-used-the-ps4s-new-controller-tells-us-why-its-better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

An online subscription has been near essential for gaming on Xbox since day 1.
    Back when GTAIV was just out, i used to create a new email address every month so i could register on xbox live and get it for free for a month.

Worked for GTA as there was no score keeping or game changing perks to be had just chaotic fun :)

Perhaps the touchpad is going to be used for fingerprint recognition, implemented to only allow a registered gamer log into a registered system to play a registered game?

:p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I pay €40 a year and it's well worth it as Live is much better than PSN.

PSN(free service) is better than xbox silver, - both are free, but you can use your other subscription services on PSN but not on xbox silver(can you purchase games with a silver account?).

PS+ is far, far, far superior to xbox gold - The Instant game collection is the best €50 I've spent on a console - I'll take that over cross party chat and a superior UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

Ive decide to go with the xboxone, Thanks to my friend who seemed to love the idea of the xbox band in the day got me hooked on it.

Ill admit it wasn't easy as up untill then id be a playstation man, the whole lot one, 2 and 3 but when Sony got hacked to death and there were no real improvements on the GUI I decided to make a change to xbox with encouragement from my mate.

Main reason being that im 36 now , still single ( Thank god!) and have my own pad. Enough money to get the xboxone but not just for games but as a media center. My guess is that my self and geneal familes are most likely the people MS were after when they were thinking the machine up.
    Sure I like my games but I dont buy a whole lot of the, mostly FPS like Call of duty and the like , watch Netflix, youtube , etc etc etc so in my view this machine works for me.

Its a Media center first though and if you are a hardcore gamer then yeah the PS4 is most likely better.
    I had the kinect on the 360 and I actually used it, and found it to be very cool and handy for watching stuff on the video apps so im looking forward to that.

My biggest fear however is that the first batch of these machines both xbox and the PS4 will have faults on them. Cant remember for the Ps3 on Launch day but I wont forget the Ring of death on the xbox. Granted though there customer service and repair was great and gave me replacement machines when i needed ( yes you read that right Machines as in more then one) First one died from Ring of death, 2nd one died cause of some issues with the graphics card , 3rd one had no issues with.
    just really hope that if i get the Launch edition that they don't **** it up in production.

I know im in the minority going with the xbox one, but I feel its the right choice for me and my lifestyle.

F1ngers wrote: »
    PS+ is far, far, far superior to xbox gold - The Instant game collection is the best €50 I've spent on a console - I'll take that over cross party chat and a superior UI.

I spent many hours playing free PS Plus games but never once used cross party chat, the UI is just less crap then PSN's and yes you can buy game on silver but that pretty much all you can do with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

TheBuck wrote: »
    Ive decide to go with the xboxone, Thanks to my friend who seemed to love the idea of the xbox band in the day got me hooked on it.

Ill admit it wasn't easy as up untill then id be a playstation man, the whole lot one, 2 and 3 but when Sony got hacked to death and there were no real improvements on the GUI I decided to make a change to xbox with encouragement from my mate.

Main reason being that im 36 now , still single ( Thank god!) and have my own pad. Enough money to get the xboxone but not just for games but as a media center. My guess is that my self and geneal familes are most likely the people MS were after when they were thinking the machine up.
    Sure I like my games but I dont buy a whole lot of the, mostly FPS like Call of duty and the like , watch Netflix, youtube , etc etc etc so in my view this machine works for me.

Its a Media center first though and if you are a hardcore gamer then yeah the PS4 is most likely better.
    I had the kinect on the 360 and I actually used it, and found it to be very cool and handy for watching stuff on the video apps so im looking forward to that.

My biggest fear however is that the first batch of these machines both xbox and the PS4 will have faults on them. Cant remember for the Ps3 on Launch day but I wont forget the Ring of death on the xbox. Granted though there customer service and repair was great and gave me replacement machines when i needed ( yes you read that right Machines as in more then one) First one died from Ring of death, 2nd one died cause of some issues with the graphics card , 3rd one had no issues with.
    just really hope that if i get the Launch edition that they don't **** it up in production.

I know im in the minority going with the xbox one, but I feel its the right choice for me and my lifestyle.

You know you can get netflix, youtube etc on PS3/PS4 right ?

I do I just prefer the experience with Kinect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I do I just prefer the experience with Kinect.
    Fair enough :s

Not sure what the difference is... besides it being slower/clumsy using kinect while browsing instead of a controller. Possibly the strangest reason for choosing one console over another, meh.

Oh **** hand gestures, if i wanted to use my hands then id use the controller , no i use the voice commands and 97% of the time they worked fine for me which is why i love it i guess.
    But i dont really have a strong accent and since there is no one else in the room , Babies , children or bitches yapping on about **** it can only ever hear me.

Oh **** hand gestures, if i wanted to use my hands then id use the controller , no i use the voice commands and 97% of the time they worked fine for me which is why i love it i guess.
    But i dont really have a strong accent and since there is no one else in the room , Babies , children or bitches yapping on about **** it can only ever hear me.

Referring to women as that is probably why you don't have one!!! :rolleyes:

"XBOX ON, XBOX SELF DESTRUCT" hasn't worked yet for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Babies , children or bitches yapping on about **** it can only ever hear me.

Guess we solved the mystery as to why you're single.

Edit: beaten to it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Reason to buy XBOX One over PS4 ?

The Games , duh !

Microsoft has the stronger roster.
    Surprisingly, only three of the One’s console exclusives come from recently active franchises, but they’re among the strongest in the industry; Forza, Halo, and Dead Rising. Other strong titles include Sunset Overdrive, a stylized shooter from Insomniac Games (best known for Ratchet & Clank and Resistance) and Titanfall, which comes from the developers who worked on Modern Warfare before it became the Madden NFL of first-person shooters.

When I say this roster is strong, I mean so in an objective sense. Most of the exclusives revealed are either part of a popular, well-reviewed franchise, or come from a developer with an excellent record. Sony’s got some decent stuff too, but Killzone is not as promising as Halo, Drive Club is not as promising as Forza, Knack is not as promising as Sunset Overdrive, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

The Games , duh !

Surprisingly, only three of the One’s console exclusives come from recently active franchises, but they’re among the strongest in the industry; Forza, Halo, and Dead Rising. Other strong titles include Sunset Overdrive, a stylized shooter from Insomniac Games (best known for Ratchet & Clank and Resistance) and Titanfall, which comes from the developers who worked on Modern Warfare before it became the Madden NFL of first-person shooters.

When I say this roster is strong, I mean so in an objective sense. Most of the exclusives revealed are either part of a popular, well-reviewed franchise, or come from a developer with an excellent record. Sony’s got some decent stuff too, but Killzone is not as promising as Halo, Drive Club is not as promising as Forza, Knack is not as promising as Sunset Overdrive, and so on.
    dead rising is exclusive? :(
    I don't know why Sony keep flogging the dead horse that is Killzone. I'd rather they risked something new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

The Games , duh !

But if Sony out sell xbox, won't most game companies start to look at where the market is and design for both consoles instead of one? Granted this may take a year, but devs are going to go where the vast majority are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

edgecutter wrote: »
    But if Sony out sell xbox, won't most game companies start to look at where the market is and design for both consoles instead of one? Granted this may take a year, but devs are going to go where the vast majority are.

doesnt matter who out sells who

fact is
    for all the people complaining about xbone
    for all the people who are out and out xbox 360 fans who are saying their going with ps4
    their will be as many people buying the xbone

guarrentee you xbone will still sell as much xboxs as they did with the xbox360
    maybe not in the first few months because sony have the upper hand
    but over time people will buy it
    its the same with anything,

but at the moment its still too far away

im buying the xbone, because it suits me best for having sky, netflix as well as playing games, also the exclusives are better on xbox in my opinion as they are the games i like

and their will be alot more people who are thinking the same way as me

in saying that i will be getting both, but xbone is first, ps4 after :) so i can have the best of both worlds :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Next person that says they are buying an Xbox One instead of a ps4 to use Netflix is getting killed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

mdwexford wrote: »
    Next person that says they are buying an Xbox One instead of a ps4 to use Netflix is getting killed.

You know what, they deserve to pay before they can get to the netflix login screen

Advertisement