Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Goo VS. Bepanthen

Options
  • 11-06-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

just wondering what peoples opinions are on this. On previous tattoos i used bephanthen and after the first sitting on my toy story one i used tattoo goo. Just wondering what other peoples regimes after getting a tattoo done?

For mine i leave cling film on for about 4 hours then shower/wash with warm water and soap then leave to air dry then put tattoo goo or bephanthen on and i wouldn't put any more cling film on.

So boards what do you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Most people have their own thing, based on their own experience of what does/doesn't work. Personally, I take off the clingfilm as soon as I get home (usually about 2 hours after I'm done) I wash it with just warm water, pat dry and then apply Bepanthen.

The next day I'll wash it 3 or 4 times over the course of the day and apply either Bepanthen or Johnstons baby lotion. After about 4 days, I'll just do it once or twice in the day. I'm usually healed by day 6 or 7 at the most. I got a tattoo last Tuesday and it's completely healed already. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't personally like Tattoo Goo, but that's because I came out in a rash when I used it. :pac: No idea why.

I take my cling film off after about 3 hours, wash with warm water only, pat dry and use Bepanthen a few times a day on it. Mine take a while to heal because my skin isn't great for healing anything, but they usually heal up after a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Most people have their own thing, based on their own experience of what does/doesn't work. Personally, I take off the clingfilm as soon as I get home (usually about 2 hours after I'm done) I wash it with just warm water, pat dry and then apply Bepanthen.

The next day I'll wash it 3 or 4 times over the course of the day and apply either Bepanthen or Johnstons baby lotion. After about 4 days, I'll just do it once or twice in the day. I'm usually healed by day 6 or 7 at the most. I got a tattoo last Tuesday and it's completely healed already. :D

I'm pretty much the exact same cling film normally soon I get home wash with warm water then apply bepanthen, the next few days anytime it's starting to feel a bit dry wash with warm water and apply bepanthen how many times a day can vary.

And like wise all my tattoo's have been healed basically by about days.

I've never used tattoo goo but I get the impression it's a bit of a unnecessary gimmicky product.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

For my most recent, got home, washed it, but on some bepanthen, then cling film after about 20 minutes. Repeat every 4 hours or so for 2 days, then just bepanthen. Worked pretty well, healed up nicely with no scabs, will try that again next time.

Chikablam wrote: »
    For my most recent, got home, washed it, but on some bepanthen, then cling film after about 20 minutes. Repeat every 4 hours or so for 2 days, then just bepanthen. Worked pretty well, healed up nicely with no scabs, will try that again next time.

Wait so you pretty much kept clingfilm on it for two days solid? Jut you wait till Hellrazer sees that :P.

But in all seriousness that's a big no no for me, its effectively an open wound and putting clingfilm on it is asking for trouble it's becomes a breathing ground for bacteria.

• Advertisement

Wait so you pretty much kept clingfilm on it for two days solid? Jut you wait till Hellrazer sees that :P.

But in all seriousness that's a big no no for me, its effectively an open wound and putting clingfilm on it is asking for trouble it's becomes a breathing ground for bacteria.

Was just about to say this.

You're adding warmth to the wound, and enclosing any bacteria that are on the skin, giving them no place to go but into the open wound. Breeding ground for them, and could do more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I am the same as most. The cling film is off after 2hours. Wash it with warm water, pat dry, apply the bepanthen. Then I wash it about 3 times a day and apply the cream, lessening the amount of washing as the healing continues

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I took the wrapping off of mine about 2 hours after I got it done. I'm now just washing it with some warm water twice a day, letting it air dry for a while and applying Tattoo Goo afterwards - moreso cos I happened to have a tub of that, and I didn't have bepanthen. I don't have a preference of one over the other. Plus Tattoo Goo smells lovely and it's slightly easier to apply.

With my previous ones, I did the same. Only covering if needs be for a short time, but letting it air-dry after a wash, and keeping it well moisturised.

I'm heading to a gig tonight though, so I will be wrapping it up before I go as the tattoo is on my foot and I don't fancy getting beer soaked into it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Would you still use Tattoo Goo in the same way as E45? I mean after it has healed, you would use Tattoo Goo to keep is looking fresh etc.

Thanks.

*also, is it available in Dublin anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Has anyone tried Hellrazer's method of using lotion instead of bepanthen? im thinkin of giving it a go for my next one!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Gintonious wrote: »
    Would you still use Tattoo Goo in the same way as E45? I mean after it has healed, you would use Tattoo Goo to keep is looking fresh etc.

Thanks.

*also, is it available in Dublin anywhere?

I have done, yes. I know some tattoo studios stock it (the shop in Lucan does anyway), but I couldn't tell you which ones in town would. They also do a Tattoo Goo lotion which I think is aimed at keeping your tattoo fresh looking. I have a tube of that, but I haven't used it in aaaages! I usually just lash on a bit of my usual body moisturiser after the tattoo is well healed.

Just looking at the ingredients in it, there's no reason why you can't use it as a standard moisturiser on any part of your body really - it has olive oil, lavender oil and rosemary for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

gregers85 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Hellrazer's method of using lotion instead of bepanthen? im thinkin of giving it a go for my next one!

I tried it and hated it.

Found that it seemed to dry up far too quickly and become itchy, and had to reapply far too often. Smelt nicer than bepanthen though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Fairly similar to most, take the cling off after a couple of hours, give it a gentle wash, a pat dry and apply Bepanthen. Though I do put cling back on for the first night, because the one time I didn't I stuck to the bed - most unpleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

gregers85 wrote: »

Yeah, I tried it and it didn't work at all. Broke out in pimples all over the tattoo. I'll use it once a day for a few days AFTER using Bepanthen only for the first 3 or 4 days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Was just about to say this.

You're adding warmth to the wound, and enclosing any bacteria that are on the skin, giving them no place to go but into the open wound. Breeding ground for them, and could do more harm than good.

Yep-Bacteria need certain conditions to thrive.Heat..from your body.Food-all the blood products from the tattoo and no oxygen.The cling wrap makes it the ideal breeding ground for anerobis bacteria including staph,mrsa etc.

Its actually great to hear people give this advice.Its common sense nit to wrap a wound in plastic!!
    maximoose wrote: »
    I tried it and hated it.

Found that it seemed to dry up far too quickly and become itchy, and had to reapply far too often. Smelt nicer than bepanthen though :pac:

Your not using enough or applying often enough.Johnsons doesn't sit on top of the tattoo like bep does.Its goes into your skin making it soft as a babys bum!!!

Personally--My method

1.Get the cling film off as soon as possible.
    2.Dont put anymore on.
    3.If you need to protect it from rubbing on clothes a clean sterile dressing that you can buy in the chemist is best.
    4.Wash 2-3 times a day with anti bacterial soap in as hot a water you can stand (to open the pores)
    5.Rinse in as cold a water as you can (to close the pores)
    6.Pat dry
    7.Johnsons baby lotion 5+ times a day.

Voila!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

jenizzle wrote: »
    Tattoo Goo smells lovely and it's slightly easier to apply.

Put the bepanthan on a radiator for a bit before you use it :) goes on real easy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Yeah I've heard that, and probably should have mentioned that I washed it regularly with warm antibacterial soap

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

its actualy really interesting to hear what other people do, i have used tattoo goo all day and i know it sounds wierd but the finger i am using to rub it in is really really dry now, like only that finger. it has really confused me.

i might go back to bephanthen tomorrow

I actually tried hellrazer's suggestion of sterile wraps from the chemist when I got my last one last month, after Marty mentioned doing it, 'cause I have to wear skinny jeans in work, and the dressings helped a lot more than when I had to wrap one in clingfilm for work. Never gonna use clingfilm in work again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

I use Bepanthen, even though it can be a bitch to rub in.

Seán from Snakebite gave me the best description ever, it's like trying to kick concrete into your skin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I also had a negative review on Johnsons baby lotion. Similar to others, it seemed to dry the skin much quicker.

However Hellrazer pointed out in another thread that when applying Johnsons, it's best to lather it on. Don't be afraid to use too much in comparison to bepanthen where you only apply a minute amount (due to it chemical make-up right?) . Unfortunately my memory isn't that great to recall exactly how much baby lotion I was applying, but if I had started using after the bepanthen I assume I was applying too little of it.

Just my two cents on the bepanthen vs. Johnsons baby lotion debate that springs up the odd time on here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SarahC91

I take my cling film off the minute I get home, I wipe it down with kitchen towel,I dont wash it with water until later that night because I find it too sore, I apply bepanthen straight away, then about 3/4 times a day for about a week, then while its scabbing I put a moisturiser on it :)

SarahC91 wrote: »
    I take my cling film off the minute I get home, I wipe it down with kitchen towel,I dont wash it with water until later that night because I find it too sore, I apply bepanthen straight away, then about 3/4 times a day for about a week, then while its scabbing I put a moisturiser on it :)

While it's scabbing? If your looking after your tattoo properly it shouldn't scab at all to be honest, scabbing can lead to a loss of ink. Generally my aim is for light skin peeling as if it has been sun burnt with no scabbing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

E45 is a barrier cream, meaning that it provides a barrier between your skin and the surroundings, as does Bepanthen. I fail to see the difference between clingfilm+antiseptic and a barrier cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

When I get a new one I leave the cling film on for abut 3 hours, then wash with warm soapy water really gently and pat dry.

Then I apply a thin layer of Palmers Coco Butter and let the air at it.

Like other people have said, cling film just breeds bacteria and I'd only cover it in the first week if I really need to. Then wash once or twice a day to remove the excess gloop.

Palmers is a godsend. Bepanthen has a gross texture and Tattoo Goo is just a weird fad to me. Once my tattoos are healed I use tattoo goo from time to time as it makes the colours pop and look nice for a while.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dermighty wrote: »
    E45 is a barrier cream, meaning that it provides a barrier between your skin and the surroundings, as does Bepanthen. I fail to see the difference between clingfilm+antiseptic and a barrier cream.

In my opinion e45 is also out.
    Bepanthen is out.
    Savlon is out
    Vaseline is out.
    Any any other type of "barrier" cream or antiseptic ointment.

Barrier cream doesn't creat an environment for bacteria to bred in but clingwrap does.

Id prefer to use nothing rather than any of these products but then again Im stubborn that way!!!

hellrazer do you just leave a fresh tattoo to fend for itself then?

ene wrote: »
    hellrazer do you just leave a fresh tattoo to fend for itself then?

I have done as a kind of experiment bar using anti bacterial soap which I always use.

My latest one--Ive used half johnsons and half of it with nothing on it.

So far theres been absolutely no difference in healing.

thats actually pretty interesting!

so in your opinion the likes of tattoo goo and bephanthen are gimmicks then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I am terrible when it comes to bep...literally gets maybe 3 days of looking after with 3 applications at most. NEver makes much of a diff to the old tatts i used to baby

Advertisement