Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Goo VS. Bepanthen

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

ene wrote: »
    thats actually pretty interesting!

so in your opinion the likes of tattoo goo and bephanthen are gimmicks then?

In my opinion absolutely.

Over the years tattooists have used everything to heal tattoos.

For example the very first tattoo I ever got I was told to use Vaseline and Savlon.

Now Vaseline and savlon are a big no no.

Now the big thing is "Tattoo Goo" and Bepanthen.

Whats next?
    Used engine oil to bring out those blacks in your tattoo?

Here are the contents in "Tattoo Goo"

http://www.tattoogoo.com/info_theblueprint.php

Look at the absolute tripe on that link.All marketing speak.

However this looks interesting and is exactly the same as baby lotions ingredients.

http://www.tattoogoo.com/product_TG-201-lotion.php

The only way a wound can heal is with the bodys natural process.No amount of creams will help that process except maybe vitamin E which Im yet to fully try out and am still on the fence with that.

The ancient Japanese use to jump in a natural hot spring to soak there tattoos clean, then after a few minutes they would get in the cold water to close the pores.Thats 2000 year old tattoo healing advice and its 100% natural.

I wouldn't mind trying the ancient japanese method :)

Same as my method..hot and cold water.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

sorry hellrazar, how often would you clean it with soap and water?

Do you leave clothes off it to let it breath?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

ene wrote: »
    sorry hellrazar, how often would you clean it with soap and water?

2-3 times a day.
    Do you leave clothes off it to let it breath?

As much as possible but if you have to cover it use sterile dressings from a pharmacy and not cling film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

247863.jpg?v=1

I used this stuff and found it to be great.

Bought some recently and it gave me a deja vous effect because of the smell :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Hellrazer wrote: »

Whats next?
    Used engine oil to bring out those blacks in your tattoo?

Hmmm.....not a bad idea in fairness!! :pac: :p

blogging-makes-you-think.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Tbh, I think there is a lot to be said for leaving it the hell alone when it comes to healing. The body is quite wonderful at healing itself.

The aim though is to encourage longevity in the colour, but there is no definitive answer on how to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

jenizzle wrote: »
    Tbh, I think there is a lot to be said for leaving it the hell alone when it comes to healing. The body is quite wonderful at healing itself.

The aim though is to encourage longevity in the colour, but there is no definitive answer on how to do that.

I left my last one alone as much as possible tbh, didn't 'baby' it nearly as much as my other four. I was only putting Bepanthen on about once a day, and just using water to keep it moist most of the time. It flaked a lot, but retained all the ink and healed much faster and easier than my other tattoos tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Your not using enough or applying often enough.Johnsons doesn't sit on top of the tattoo like bep does.Its goes into your skin making it soft as a babys bum!!!
    !!!

Honestly I did all of the points you listed. I was putting on plenty and rubbing in well, but needed to go back every 45 mins or so to reapply as it felt dry and itchy

Just not for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SarahC91

While it's scabbing? If your looking after your tattoo properly it shouldn't scab at all to be honest, scabbing can lead to a loss of ink. Generally my aim is for light skin peeling as if it has been sun burnt with no scabbing at all.

Well it doesn't scab! Peeling is what I meant I just used the wrong word! My tattoos are all perfect so no loss of ink whatsoever! Well looked after!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

The only way a wound can heal is with the bodys natural process.No amount of creams will help that process except maybe vitamin E which Im yet to fully try out and am still on the fence with that.

I'd be off the fence on that one. I read that Vit E cream is nonsense, as it needs to be ingested or created from inside to have any kind of effect, rather than applied from the outside...

Like taking a shower when you are thirsty :P

I love the fact that you are doing a control experiment on your tattoo aftercare, can't wait for the results!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Thought I would throw my two-cents in and ask a quick question at the same time!

I've used bepanthen and tatoo goo in the past, but I didn't find either massively fantastic. My third tattoo was very badly done, the colour faded really quickly and the skin rejected a piece and it just came off (I'm still baffled). I know bepanthen made no difference then, but it did slightly help my wrist piece, all black font. I've incredibly senstive skin and can't use a lot of products/need to do a trial run on un-inked skin first. I used bepanthen on my leg for a week before I got the tattoo to make sure!

I've had a reaction to Johnson's before, so I try and avoid it too. I'm getting my next piece done by the end of the summer but I was wondering if you could recommend any other lotions? I'm interested in the idea of using bandages instead of clingfilm, but I'm allergic to mepore bandages, what brand did you use?

Spanx in advance! :)

PS I'm a walking medical marvel, allergic to bandages??? Should just give up and hide under a rock!!!

kellief wrote: »
    Thought I would throw my two-cents in and ask a quick question at the same time!

I've used bepanthen and tatoo goo in the past, but I didn't find either massively fantastic. My third tattoo was very badly done, the colour faded really quickly and the skin rejected a piece and it just came off (I'm still baffled). I know bepanthen made no difference then, but it did slightly help my wrist piece, all black font. I've incredibly senstive skin and can't use a lot of products/need to do a trial run on un-inked skin first. I used bepanthen on my leg for a week before I got the tattoo to make sure!

I've had a reaction to Johnson's before, so I try and avoid it too. I'm getting my next piece done by the end of the summer but I was wondering if you could recommend any other lotions? I'm interested in the idea of using bandages instead of clingfilm, but I'm allergic to mepore bandages, what brand did you use?

Spanx in advance! :)

PS I'm a walking medical marvel, allergic to bandages??? Should just give up and hide under a rock!!!

If the Bepanthen worked on you, I'd keep using it. there are very few things suitable for tattoo healing tbh.

Why would you need bandages or clingfilm? You shouldn't be wrapping a tattoo after the first few hours unless clothing can irritate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    If the Bepanthen worked on you, I'd keep using it. there are very few things suitable for tattoo healing tbh.

Why would you need bandages or clingfilm? You shouldn't be wrapping a tattoo after the first few hours unless clothing can irritate it!

Yeah I think that's what I'll do, I was just wondering if anyone had a similar issue and could recommend anything different!

It was more as a back up, my next one will be on my ribs so I would imagine I will experience clothing rubbing it, so I wanted a back up plan in case!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Just to add, I've just found Tattoo Goo fairly useless after day 3 of my latest tattoo. My skin dried up quite a bit and it didn't help. I think I'll be going back to Bepanthen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I would have thought the point of using creams isn't to speed the healing process. I'd fully agree that the body is wonderful at healing itself, and part of that healing process is pushing foreign bacteria and substances (ink) out of the body.

I'd be more of the opinion that preventing scabbing would be the main goal of any aftercare process. For my own 2c, after having tried everything from hemorrhoid cream to Vaseline I've found Bepanthanol to be the best.

Everyones skin is different I suppose so whatever works for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I am getting my second tattoo on Friday. On my first I used Bepanthen and it worked well.

I will be getting it on my foot and can leave it free over the weekend but I will need to wear socks on Monday for work, would it be ok in just the sock or will I still need a dressing?

kitten_k wrote: »
    I am getting my second tattoo on Friday. On my first I used Bepanthen and it worked well.

I will be getting it on my foot and can leave it free over the weekend but I will need to wear socks on Monday for work, would it be ok in just the sock or will I still need a dressing?

Id use a dressing if it was me.

I used a dressing for about 5 days on my last one, put it on straight before work, took it off straight after, so basically kept it free from any coverage for as long as was possible. Healed up perfectly fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RuggieMuffin

I don't like bephanthen at all - my skin broke out with it within a coupe of hours. It feels like I could wash the tattoo five times in a row with shower gel and there would still be a greasy layer left on my skin.

I use tattoo goo and find it really good. It still leaves a greasy layer over the skin that's needed to protect and moisturise it but washes off better. My skin didn't react badly at all with it.

I wrap my tattoo in cling film at night or if I'm doing something where it could get really dirty (like playing with the dogs in a field)! Otherwise I let it air for ten minutes and then apply tattoo goo after it's been washed. I wash it two, maybe three times a day.

I've never had an issue with healing work, so far!

I don't like bephanthen at all - my skin broke out with it within a coupe of hours. It feels like I could wash the tattoo five times in a row with shower gel and there would still be a greasy layer left on my skin.

I use tattoo goo and find it really good. It still leaves a greasy layer over the skin that's needed to protect and moisturise it but washes off better. My skin didn't react badly at all with it.

I wrap my tattoo in cling film at night or if I'm doing something where it could get really dirty (like playing with the dogs in a field)! Otherwise I let it air for ten minutes and then apply tattoo goo after it's been washed. I wash it two, maybe three times a day.

I've never had an issue with healing work, so far!

If you need to wrap it, use a crepe bandage, not cling film. Clingfilm provides the heat and food needed for bacteria to grow.

If you try it with a bandage, I bet it'll heal faster and easier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 RuggieMuffin

I'm assuming you use a few bandages and wash them between uses?
    Does the bandage not soak up some of the tattoo goo and leave the skin dry?
    Esoteric_ wrote: »
    If you need to wrap it, use a crepe bandage, not cling film. Clingfilm provides the heat and food needed for bacteria to grow.

If you try it with a bandage, I bet it'll heal faster and easier!

I just buy lots of bandages. I only use them if I'm in work and have clothing over the tattoo. I don't use them in bed. They're not expensive, anyway.

I don't use tattoo goo, but they haven't caused any issues with the Bepanthen rubbing off.

Advertisement