Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing level in history on the day

Options
  • 11-06-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello, just wondering am I able to change level for history in the junior cert tomorrow? If I want to change what do I need to do? Is there a fee involved?
    I want to change from higher to ordinary
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll need to talk to your Exam Secretary the minute you get in. In some cases they will want a letter from the teacher or Principal, so go in early and organise it.
    Please re-consider changing though, it's not that difficult to pass HL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

You won't be familiar with the Ord History exam layout ... best to stick with Higher. A D/Pass in higher is better than an A in Ord, keep that in mind :).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 99_99

spurious wrote: »
    You'll need to talk to your Exam Secretary the minute you get in. In some cases they will want a letter from the teacher or Principal, so go in early and organise it.
    Please re-consider changing though, it's not that difficult to pass HL.
    Hello. Do I need to bring in a letter from my parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

You won't be familiar with the Ord History exam layout ... best to stick with Higher. A D/Pass in higher is better than an A in Ord, keep that in mind :).

If we're going by LC standards, and since there's no JC equivalent to compare by, an A in Ord is better than a D in Higher, I'm almost certain.

Dropping history for the leaving anyway. I got a D in the mocks but looking over stuff tonight I think I am going to fail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A letter from your parents would help, but what did you get in your mock? Would HL be completely out of the question?

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    If we're going by LC standards, and since there's no JC equivalent to compare by, an A in Ord is better than a D in Higher, I'm almost certain.
    A1 in ord = 60
    D1 in Higher = 55

http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/requirements/matriculation/leavingcert/

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

So, I'm right? Or am I hopelessly confused.

99_99 wrote: »
    Dropping history for the leaving anyway. I got a D in the mocks but looking over stuff tonight I think I am going to fail.
    We can help, have a look at the history threads on the forum. Loads of useful pin point notes and predictions, you'll pass if you try :).

A letter from your parents would help, but what did you get in your mock? Would HL be completely out of the question?
    Got a D nearly 49%. But looking over the History papers tonight I just feel I am going to fail.

My other exams all in higher level (bar maths) have gone well. Mostly B's.

I just dont want to fail an exam.

• Advertisement

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    So, I'm right? Or am I hopelessly confused.
    You're right, but 5 points hardly make a difference. There's a 5 point gap between an A1 in ord and a D1 in higher. Therefore, therologically, higher level is worth more than ord, but techniqicaly, an A1 in Ord is worth more than a D1 in higher.

Thanks for your help with this issue.

It doesn't really translate at JC, I once gave the same group of students an OL paper one week and a HL paper the next.

The difference in marks wasn't as extreme as A to D. Those who could get a B on the OL often got C on the HL. Most of the A people got A on both.

Can you pass on just short questions, docs and pics?

It doesn't really translate at JC, I once gave the same group of students an OL paper one week and a HL paper the next.

The difference in marks wasn't as extreme as A to D. Those who could get a B on the OL often got C on the HL. Most of the A people got A on both.
    Interesting experiment! :rolleyes:

Can you pass on just short questions, docs and pics?

No, but you can pass on those plus the 'people in history' question, which is more or less what the pass paper consists of.

It's up to you. If you want to drop, drop, but in one way it would be terrible if you got a B or A in Ordinary and never knew what you could have got in Higher.

No, but you can pass on those plus the 'people in history' question, which is more or less what the pass paper consists of.

It's up to you. If you want to drop, drop, but in one way it would be terrible if you got a B or A in Ordinary and never knew what you could have got in Higher.
    If I am border line fail I dont want to end up failing. Thanks for the help, I am going to try and drop down. Is there a chance they wont let me change levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dodo97

In my school anyway they have extra exam papers so it is easy to change levels. just tell the super intendant you wish to ordinary level

If I am border line fail I dont want to end up failing. Thanks for the help, I am going to try and drop down. Is there a chance they wont let me change levels?

Not if you get in early and get it sorted.
    In the event that for some reason they don't let you drop, haven't extra papers etc., give it a go anyway and answer as many questions and parts of questions as you can. As you say, you're not doing it for Leaving and it is leaving out questions that makes people fail.
    People rarely fail History because their answers are 'wrong', they fail because they leave out questions, or do the wrong combinations of questions.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

dodo97 wrote: »
    In my school anyway they have extra exam papers so it is easy to change levels. just tell the super intendant you wish to ordinary level
    Thanks, I will do that aswell as what the above poster said.

Going to study now, thanks for helping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 dodo97

goodluck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

Unless you've already decided, I'd encourage you to do HL. If you got 49% in the mock you're not going to fail. In fact you'll probably improve on that grade and get a C ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

Keep in mind that the Mocks are no comparison to the Junior Cert, they are mainly just to get students prepared for the potentially daunting feature of being in a large hall. There was only 1 A in history in my school, depending on the company that is chosen by the teacher, it can make a huge difference. If you even have the smallest chance of passing in Higher Level, go for it, you'll do fine. Anyway, your choice entirely and good luck with your exam either way.

dodo97 wrote: »
    goodluck!:)

Thanks same to you in the rest of the exams,

I went for the higher level instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

Thanks same to you in the rest of the exams,

I went for the higher level instead :)

What did you think of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Very wise decision bud. If you get a D that doesn't matter, its the fact you didn't "lower" your abilities and you went for the challenge. Its your choice on what you do, don't let teachers tell you what to do/other class mates. If you're happy with your result, thats all that matters, nobody elses decision matters. This is a stepping stone for your leaving cert, I wish you the very best of luck and make sure to come back in post your results.

- Kilkenny

Advertisement