Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipping chickens wings

• 11-06-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi, I was just wondering does anyone know how to clip a chickens wings, or where can you get it done? My 5 hens are laying everywhere but the coup. I've always let them roam loose but I've recently put up a fence and they kep flying out over the top of it. I know that its only 1 wing that you clip, and around 8-10 feathers in length but I'd be afraid I'd cut too far up the wing or something, any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight

when you pull out the wing you will see the lighter colour feathers, about 10 of them. cut them down to match the length of the darker ones. No shorter tho as you could hit the vein. It is quite simple, once you see the feathers you will know which ones to clip.
    I did the first 3 that we had and never did them again as they got used to their new environment. good luck!

If you live in farming country a vet might be able to show you. Although we brought a docile one to the local vet to show us and he clipped the wrong ones. doh.

Advertisement