Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling through N I

Options
  • 11-06-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I want to travel through northern Ireland with my guns (shotgun mainly)

I know I need to get someone in N. I. To apply for me to get a permit. I understand this process, have the form downloaded.

I don't know anyone directly, well enough in N I that I can ask to apply for the permit for me, however I do know a few people who would know people that would be licensed in N I that could apply for me.

I'm wondering what the response would be from them to applying for someone they don't know all that well? Having to vouch for me and such. Is there any liability on their part that would make them wary of doing so?

There must be people, particularly down the country that don't even know someone who knows someone in N I that have managed to get permits. How did they do it?

As far as I am aware, it's common to contact someone on the committee of any club etc. That you want to go to to shoot, but since I only want to travel through, it would be a bit of misrepresentation on my part to do that.

So what's my best move now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

From where to where are you looking to drive through the north?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You just want to travel from where you live (South), into the North, then back into the South again?

Might be hard to get a sponsor if you are not actually going to be shooting at all. Whatever about them not knowing you, but you coming to meet or shoot with them. If you are not shooting at all they may well decline to do it.

Only speaking from a "maybe" point of view.

If this is the case, and it's only a travel through then perhaps the longer route around, and avoid the hassle of it altogether might be the better way to go.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

Donegal to louth, down the A5 and N2.

Why does that matter?

Not interested in the detour (3 hours I estimate) , I'm down that way for other reasons and want to be able to do a bit of shooting too (as opposed to shooting being my only reason)

I would maybe in time also want to shoot at grounds in N I, but for now getting down that way is what I need to be able to do. If I had the permit for shooting N I grounds, I would then be covered no matter where i was going......... Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

.50 (MOA) wrote: »
    Not interested in the detour (3 hours I estimate) , I'm down that way for other reasons and want to be able to do a bit of shooting too (as opposed to shooting being my only reason)

I would maybe in time also want to shoot at grounds in N I, but for now getting down that way is what I need to be able to do. If I had the permit for shooting N I grounds, I would then be covered no matter where i was going......... Am I right?

I think you are better off ringing the PSNI dedicated firearms unit for advice,I believe they are very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Go with deerhunter's advice.

If you want to try and get someone that doesn't know you to vouch for you, to get a visitor's permit, when you are not shooting in NI, rather than drive a couple of hours the long way then i cannot add anymore to this.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I think Countryside Alliance will sponsor you for NI permits if you have insurance with them. I'm not 100% sure of their criteria but I know at least one person who got an NI visitors permit thanks to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

If you have a european firearms pass that should be enough for travelling through NI. I think you only need a visitors permit if you are actually shooting there. AFAIK from a couple of people who have travelled through the euro pass was enough but I would check it with the firearms guys in Lisnasharra (028) 90650222.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MacsuibhneR

Shouldn't add three hours. Dublin to Letterkenny (through Aughnacloy and Omagh) is a bit under 3 hours. Dublin to Letterkenny through Sligo is about 3 hours 45 minutes to 4 hours. At worst it adds about 45 minutes to 1 hour and maybe a bit less given the road works between Monaghan and Emyvale. Even if going anywhere else etc. it really shouldn't add more than an hour.

Some of the firearms dealers will sponsor a permit for you if want to buy ammo from them, which can be a good bit cheaper. You may want to consider joining a range in NI as there are some good ones there and you can always use the clubs guns for a bit of centre fire pistol fun.

I'm after ringing the psni, turns out all you need is a northern Ireland resident, not a northern Ireland firearms certificate holder to sponsor you.

I do know people that could do that for me, so I think I should be able to get it sorted.

I will be looking at dealers and ranges in N I too, to see about cartridges and clay shooting , but first things first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

just get a European firearms pass it covers carriage but not use so if your just passing through it will be ok, and its free get it in your local cop shop

ferrete wrote: »
    just get a European firearms pass it covers carriage but not use so if your just passing through it will be ok, and its free get it in your local cop shop

I checked this out with the psni, again today, specifically asking if this was ok, and I was told "no, you must have a visitors pass".

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Thanks for clearing that up lad. At least we all know now for definate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I checked this out with the psni, again today, specifically asking if this was ok, and I was told "no, you must have a visitors pass".

That's correct. And the other trap people fall into is thinking a UK visitors permit covers them for NI. It doesn't.

Advertisement