Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Hilux thoughts please

• 11-06-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I've owned a number of them over the years, like them very much,
    tried Nissan but couldn't afford the yearly engine replacement so bought back in, anyway thinking of buying a Mk6 as more powerful at 3L

now;
    Manual or auto,
    whats the best please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd go auto anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 renticular

seem a lot of auto's on the market but few manuals, because of this I'm just wondering if I could get used to one myself

how is an auto off-road, I do spend some time in the mud after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

PIC_-_Libya_techs_2.jpg

.50cal is a must these days obviously depending on your mileage and driving style. But on a serious note, the second anyone mentions HiLux I just think 'Rebel's Choice' so there must be something good about them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I'd go auto all the way on the newer ones, one of the lads in work has a '12 auto crewcab and its a really good truck to drive, autos are the only job for towing, and off road - there's no worrying about stopping due to a gearchange, just keep the boot buried.

If you got an auto hilux, you'd wonder why you ever drove a manual one tbh..

(and this is coming from someone with a manual surf)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It depends how you want to drive it off road really. Manual will always give you much better control on descents with being able to use the gearbox and compression to do all the work instead of overheating your brakes.

Newer autos on the likes of Prados will have HDC (Hill descent Control) that effectively uses the ABS & ESP to lock wheels as needed. Regular older autos won't have that and won't have the same control on going down hills.

The advantages of autos is less chance to get bogged down in soft stuff like sand when they need to shift down. You don't lose drive by depressing the clutch.

Manuals are better for hill stall starts as well.

The auto is probably more enjoyable in day to do driving in Ireland.

• Advertisement

OK I'm still listening to the auto argument, but how about fuel economy
    would it be noticeably more in fuel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

renticular wrote: »
    OK I'm still listening to the auto argument, but how about fuel economy
    would it be noticeably more in fuel

There would be about 6 mpg in it.

Suppose that doesn't sound so bad, I imagined it would be acceptable or there would be fewer auto's on sale
    Never used an auto off-road might have to have a rethink on manual
    they don't seem to come along too often

One thing someone here might be able to answer for me though, (UK)
    new vehicles=VAT
    newish vehicle=VAT

but then some are offered for 'export' so no VAT due
    and then older vehicles..... no VAT

at what point does a vehicle become VAT free, is it an age based thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

ironclaw wrote: »
    PIC_-_Libya_techs_2.jpg

.50cal is a must these days obviously depending on your mileage and driving style. But on a serious note, the second anyone mentions HiLux I just think 'Rebel's Choice' so there must be something good about them!

He should really get a set of ear muffs or at least some plugs.
    He'll be deaf by his thirtys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

He should really get a set of ear muffs or at least some plugs.
    He'll be deaf by his thirtys.

Optional extra I believe along with the Kevlar floor mats.

• Advertisement

Armourers choice of carriage then,
    not sure you'd want to get a burst off and turn tail in your navara to find you were unexpectedly in 'limp mode'

phnarr phnarr

Had a bit of luck actually for a change,
    We found a lovely 2008 model in black
    out in Cambridgeshire fens being sold by a construction company.

One the hilux200 versions offered from 2008 when they made 500 of them
    in both auto/manual, this ones a manual and seemingly undented,

somebody's taken care of it this last five years and its leather interior is practically like new, no load liner beneath truckman type top, but instead a soft truck-bed type liner I shall need to swap that for a liner when the top goes in garage over summer,

picked it up this morning after buying it before while an exporter hesitated
    over buying it the same day, initial thought on the drive home was wow!

I didn't even know till I looked it up that they offered that HP in a factory model

Advertisement