Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into vet sector - back to college or back door?

Options
  • 11-06-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all, I am interested in getting into veterinary care but not sure what way it can be done.
    I live near Waterford and would not suit for me to travel for college.
    any advice?
    I wonder if I could enter the sector by working in a vet and work way up or would that be an option without qualifications.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

valpuk wrote: »
    Hi all, I am interested in getting into veterinary care but not sure what way it can be done.
    I live near Waterford and would not suit for me to travel for college.
    any advice?
    I wonder if I could enter the sector by working in a vet and work way up or would that be an option without qualifications.

If you want to be a Vet, there is only 1 course in Ireland and that's UCD. You can't work your way up to being a vet. You must either apply for this course through CAO or mature entry (Mature entry requires you to already have a previous degree).

There is Vet Nursing courses which you can do in several colleges around the country but again, if you want to advance to being a vet, you must do the UCD course. As far as I am aware with nursing, you can work and complete college on a part time basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

The part time diploma from UCD is no longer available, they replaced it with a full time 4 year hons degree programme. The shortest route to becoming a veterinary nurse is to take the 2 year Fetac course in St John's in Cork. There are also 3 ordinary degree courses offered by AIT, LYIT and DKIT which are 3 year courses.
    There are also loads of 1-2 year animal care courses all around the country in various FETAC colleges. If you are serious about working with animals you will need some formal qualification as the competition is huge and there is so much to learn. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Qualifications amongst vet nurses and vet assistants is now the norm in Ireland. Nurses are registered with the vet council and do continuing education etc just as vets do. Really without a third level or PLC qualification your chances of working with animals in any capacity within the veterinary sector are pretty much zero..

As the guys said, there's loads of courses, start with a 1-2year FETAC and you'll be employable as an animal helper/assistant! Best of luck with it :-)

Advertisement