Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 HL Spanish before/After***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Spanish Is NEVER about what's topical in Irlanda! Always a spanish article....

I think it was in the tape, for German it was anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

kevin12345 wrote: »
    I think it was in the tape, for German it was anyway. :)

Maybe? :)
    To be honest though, The tape cannot be studied for, bar El Tiempo.
    It's generally manageable. As for the Opinion Pieces, They can never divert from the cirricculum. Like whatever the title, if you know the course, you can be 100% sure you will be fine! :D
    Buen Suerte! Espero que todo vaya excelente!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Spanish Is NEVER about what's topical in Irlanda! Always a spanish article....

Supposedly French isn't (wasn't) either

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Supposedly French isn't (wasn't) either

Interesting.. still, has to be on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wooop995

so if i studied the role of women in society and maybe like something abou technology would i be safe jus studying those?

• Advertisement

Wooop995 wrote: »
    so if i studied the role of women in society and maybe like something abou technology would i be safe jus studying those?

Sorry, but No.
    You need to know social Problems.
    You need to know the enviroment.
    You need to know everything. Since Immigration came up in 2012, multiculturalism can be left off.
    So Social Probs, Enviroment, technology, bullying, Women.

what are people studying for their letters/Diary entires?

Sorry, but No.
    You need to know everything. Since Immigration came up in 2012, multiculturalism can be left off.

I have nothing on technology or bullying, great! Ill make an opinion piece that combines the two.

For diaries and stuff I'm just going over all my vocab sheets and my oral notes. They often ask about a holiday/new house/new school so my oral notes come in handy.

kevin12345 wrote: »
    I have nothing on technology or bullying, great! Ill make an opinion piece that combines the two.

For diaries and stuff I'm just going over all my vocab sheets and my oral notes. They often ask about a holiday/new house/new school so my oral notes come in handy.

Cyber bullying is "ciberacoso" :)

Cool, same really. There's always a feeling of being unprepared for that part! :D

was thinking no alright ha! Im considering OL cause well i got 39% in my mocks nd my class tests were pretty bad .. But i felt my oral was good. Don't know wat to do!
    Sorry, but No.

Wooop995 wrote: »
    was thinking no alright ha! Im considering OL cause well i got 39% in my mocks nd my class tests were pretty bad .. But i felt my oral was good. Don't know wat to do!

Ah i'd say stick with it! 39% will pass you with an oral i'm sure! But obviously I don't know you. I'm sure if it were likely you'd fail your teacher would say move down?

• Advertisement

true but i know none of the opinion pieces so dont think i could pass like ..
    Ah i'd say stick with it! 39% will pass you with an oral i'm sure! But obviously I don't know you. I'm sure if it were likely you'd fail your teacher would say move down?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

I know the question says 80-150 words, but are you better to write more?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

We were always told to write at least 150, and that 80 isn't enough at all to get a good mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Flabangav wrote: »
    We were always told to write at least 150, and that 80 isn't enough at all to get a good mark.

Every school seems to recommend slightly different, but my teacher last year was fixed on at least an A4 and a quarter, and my teacher this year says between an A4 and a quarter, to two A4s. I usually settle with an A4 and a half.

What's everyone else like?

D_s wrote: »
    Every school seems to recommend slightly different, but my teacher last year was fixed on at least an A4 and a quarter, and my teacher this year says between an A4 and a quarter, to two A4s. I usually settle with an A4 and a half.

What's everyone else like?

We say 1 A4 is plenty! After all, if you go on too much, you may not answer the question... Yeah A4 is definitely enough, for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

I wouldnt go over 1 A4 unless its 100% learned off material.. the more you write the more mistakes you'll make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Legion. wrote: »
    I wouldnt go over 1 A4 unless its 100% learned off material.. the more you write the more mistakes you'll make.

I plan to write 2 A4s. I think the more you write the more impressed the examiner will be with your Spanish writing ability.

If you make mistakes in a shorter essay they'll be more condensed and potent therefore have more power to bring your mark down

I'm worried about understanding the question, not how much I'm going to write. :D

Buena Suerte a todos!
    Espero que toda vaya excelente..... deberíais tener cuidado usar Espanol directo Idiomatíco!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... tenga cuidado de utilizar Español directo idiomático.
    ... I *think*!! >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Buena Suerte! ;)
    And yes, it's tener cuidado as randy said. It's hard to conjugate imperatives in the vosotros form (for me anyway, because I'm lazy :D), so you could just use "deberíais tener cuidado" which is like you should take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭RingTheAlarm!

+1 on tener cuidado!

Also, it's Espero que + subjuntivo, sí?

:)

Written Spanish Is ALWAYS my downfall! Hope my little cramming session will work!!!

http://www.lingolex.com/swom/wom-subj.htm I found this while I was double checking esperar que + subj (French doesn't take subjunctive after the verb "to hope", so I wasn't 100% sure for Spanish :P) and it's quite good. :) It's a bit of a "brief" subjunctive overview and you don't even need to know all the stuff listed on it, but a phrase or two could be no harm. Personally I think the ones that change meaning with the subjunctive would be the handiest - cuando/mientras/siempre for example.

Que todo vaya bien para vosotros manana! :D

Canard wrote: »
    http://www.lingolex.com/swom/wom-subj.htm I found this while I was double checking esperar que + subj (French doesn't take subjunctive after the verb "to hope", so I wasn't 100% sure for Spanish :P) and it's quite good. :) It's a bit of a "brief" subjunctive overview and you don't even need to know all the stuff listed on it, but a phrase or two could be no harm. Personally I think the ones that change meaning with the subjunctive would be the handiest - cuando/mientras/siempre for example.

Que todo vaya bien para vosotros manana! :D

Gracias.
    It is for "I hope" as you are expressing doubt. you do not know something will happen so it takes the subjuntive.
    If it Creo it doesn't and if it's No creo, it does. :)
    I think I'm ok as I have set phrases learned :):)

Gracias.
    It is for "I hope" as you are expressing doubt. you do not know something will happen so it takes the subjuntive.
    If it Creo it doesn't and if it's No creo, it does. :)
    I think I'm ok as I have set phrases learned :):)
    Precisely :) Make sure to remember, though, that dudo takes subjunctive and it's no dudo that doesn't. A lot of people fall into the trap of seeing dudo is affirmative and just assuming it isn't subjunctive - but it is. Another very easy trigger is "no pienso que". So if your learned ones don't seem to be fitting and you really want to put one in, just write something you doubt or don't think. :D

Canard wrote: »
    Precisely :) Make sure to remember, though, that dudo takes subjunctive and it's no dudo that doesn't. A lot of people fall into the trap of seeing dudo is affirmative and just assuming it isn't subjunctive - but it is. Another very easy trigger is "no pienso que". So if your learned ones don't seem to be fitting and you really want to put one in, just write something you doubt or don't think. :D

So i'm a little confused as to what comes next.
    For example, No pienso que las mujeres y los hombres son iguales. What exactly is the subjunctive?

To avoid it, you could say, Pienso que, Las mujeres y los hombres no son iguales?

• Advertisement

So i'm a little confused as to what comes next.
    For example, No pienso que las mujeres y los hombres son iguales. What exactly is the subjunctive?

To avoid it, you could say, Pienso que, Las mujeres y los hombres no son iguales?
    You'd say "no pienso que sean iguales" - the subjunctive reinforces the doubt which the "no pienso" implies. You could say that second sentence, but I think it's a bit like if you said "I think men and woman are not equal", it's perfectly fine but I think the first sounds a bit more natural.

I'm trying to think of ways to explain how I look at it, but I think it'd be really confusing and probably make it sound way more complicated than it actually is. :P There are a lot of English constructions that turn subjunctive when you translate them - e.g. "I want <person> to <verb>" turns into "Quiero que <person> <subjunctive verb>". With words as an example, you might say "I want <John> to <be happy>," which would turn into quiero que John (Juan? :pac:) sea feliz. Unfortunately the "no pienso que" construction doesn't really happen in English, so it's hard to equate it. The main thing to remember is "no pienso que" makes the next verb subjunctive. :)

Advertisement