Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 HL Spanish before/After***

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Written paper could not have gone better! Tape was awful, everyone in our centre thought it was impossible. Happy with my written and oral though.
    Edit: oh and did anyone find the sections ran into each other extremely fast? I was expecting a bit of a gap to at least read the questions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Written paper could not have gone better! Tape was awful, everyone in our centre thought it was impossible. Happy with my written and oral though.
    Edit: oh and did anyone find the sections ran into each other extremely fast? I was expecting a bit of a gap to at least read the questions...

Yeah the listening was so hard.

Yeah i did

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jabama

i was happy with the written as well ...the listening however, was impossible, 100% sure i failed that :O

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Written was grand, listening was quite hard but I know I could do most of it. Don't think I'll do as well as my mock but sure its all over, done now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I hated it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Listening was grand for the first 4 or so, the last few were a bítch though.

And yeah written was (mostly) lovely, nicest dialogue construction I've ever seen in a paper :D

Some tricky bits like the "testing the waters" bit in the journalistic text.
    Does anyone know what that Similar Phrases one was with some "hallar" verb or something?

D_s wrote: »
    Listening was grand for the first 4 or so, the last few were a bítch though.

And yeah written was (mostly) lovely, nicest dialogue construction I've ever seen in a paper :D

Some tricky bits like the "testing the waters" bit in the journalistic text.
    Does anyone know what that Similar Phrases one was with some "hallar" verb or something?

I said going against the waters! Damnit :P Hallar is the same as encontrar - to meet

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

kevin12345 wrote: »
    I said going against the waters! Damnit :P Hallar is the same as encontrar - to meet

Haha I really wasn't sure, you could be the one who's right :P

Ah OK, I couldn't find anything in the text that the phrase could replace, I made a guess at something in the end about Puertas or something :pac:

D_s wrote: »
    Haha I really wasn't sure, you could be the one who's right :P

Ah OK, I couldn't find anything in the text that the phrase could replace, I made a guess at something in the end about Puertas or something :pac:

It was definitely there anyway. Ah it will only be worth 3 marks or so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LCchancer

written was alright, but the tape ......omg.. 100% failed no doubt about it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

opinion was just lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

My maximum respect to those of you who battled with that extremely (unreasonably?) difficult listening test today. I'm a Spanish teacher for what it's worth and this is my attempted solution. There will of course be other ways of phrasing these and feel free to suggest them.

1. Anuncio

(a) save petrol with your mobile
    (b) (i) find the nearest petrol station on a map/compare prices
    (ii) choose/select/input favourite petrol stations
    (c) (i) select the brand/name of petrol station/select the type of fuel
    (ii) choose the maximum distance you want to/you can travel
    (d) it's free to download the app from the Internet

2. Diálogo

(a) she has been named/chosen as the best player in the world
    (b) Argentina/they won the silver medal after losing to Holland/the Netherlands in the final
    (c) relax and do lots of things she hasn't been able to do before, in particular/mainly travel
    (d) get married and be a mother

3. Diálogo

(a) It allows them to study abroad with the help of a grant
    (b) met people from other countries/visited the surrounding area/learned about (yet) more cultures/had a great time
    (c) (i) sharing a flat (ii) managing money/budgeting to get to the end of the month/buying groceries
    (d) (i) he was more tolerant
    (ii) he had a clearer/better idea of what he wanted to do in the future

4. Descriptivo

(a) it increases the risk of skin cancer in adulthood
    (b) (i) they protect the top of your feet
    (ii) they protect your soles from contact with the hot sand
    (c) to protect your eyesight from damage caused by exposure to the sun's rays
    (d) a wide-rimmed one that protects the neck as well as the face

5. Descriptivo

(a) It's an organisation that has been cooking the best rice for over 30 years for thousands of people in Málaga province
    (b) (i) the 1960s
    (ii) schools in the province of Málaga asked them to make a big paella for end of year parties
    (c) they have become bigger - they now serve 1200 people compared to 80 people at the start
    (d) (i) patience (ii) lots of love (iii) good produce/products

6. El tiempo

(a) cloudy intervals with drizzle and fog
    (b) showers and thunderstorms
    (c) strong, easterly
    (d) slightly higher (daytime) temperatures in the afternoon

7. Una noticia

(a) food/gastronomy, fun and hospitality
    (b) they try to show the best of Spain and will be distributed in more than 40 countries
    (c) they want loyal tourists who already visit Spain to become anonymous ambassadors to promote the country and inspire other tourists
    (d) share your experiences in Spain through photos, videos and messages

I know a lot of people are stressed about this, but please remember that it was the same for everyone and trust in the marking scheme to get the same overall result as every year.

linguist wrote: »
    My maximum respect to those of you who battled with that extremely (unreasonably?) difficult listening test today. I'm a Spanish teacher for what it's worth and this is my attempted solution. There will of course be other ways of phrasing these and feel free to suggest them.

1. Anuncio

2. Diálogo

(b) Argentina/they won the silver medal after losing to Holland/the Netherlands in the final
    (c) relax and do lots of things she hasn't been able to do before, in particular/mainly travel

3. Diálogo

(a) It allows they to study abroad with the help of a grant
    (b) met people from other countries/visited the surrounding area/learned about (yet) more cultures/had a great time
    (c) (i) sharing a flat (ii) managing money/budgeting to get to the end of the month/buying groceries

4. Descriptivo

5. Descriptivo

(a) It's an organisation that has been cooking the best rice for over 30 years for thousands of people in Málaga province
    (b) (i) the 1960s
    (ii) schools in the province of Málaga asked them to make a big paella for end of year parties
    (c) they have become bigger - they now serve 1200 people compared to 80 people at the start

6. El tiempo

(c) strong, easterly

7. Una noticia

(b) they try to show the best of Spain and will be distributed in more than 40 countries
    (c) they want loyal tourists who already visit Spain to become anonymous ambassadors to promote the country and inspire other tourists

I know a lot of people are stressed about this, but please remember that it was the same for everyone and trust in the marking scheme to get the same overall result as every year.

Thanks for posting, I agree with you it was unreasonably difficult! The detail they were looking for in particular. I've never come across the word for anonymous, gastronomy, inspire, soles etc. before. Very unfair.

Have you any feel now for how you got on? Not all the detail will be required I'm sure.

Have you any feel now for how you got on? Not all the detail will be required I'm sure.

I got bits an pieces for everything, did quite well in some of them, didn't do great in number 7 though. Not as bad as I thought. :) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Guys that was totally un reasonable .. not only was it impossible but 40 of us in a relatively small room with one tape and echos..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AodanF

What was the name of the App from the Aural?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 worrx

1. Anuncio

2. Diálogo

3. Diálogo

(a) It allows them to study abroad with the help of a grant

4. Descriptivo

5. Descriptivo

(b) (i) the 1960s

6. El tiempo

(c) strong, easterly

7. Una noticia

Thank you so much for posting this! It has really boosted my confidence. I'm surprised at how much I got right by simply making a guess! The only one I really screwed up on it the one about the paella makers. But again, thanks for posting this.

AodanF: It wasn't required but what I picked up was Gasol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I think I got a total of 4 correct in that aural, theworst, BY FAR, I have ever done.

• Advertisement

HugsiePie: I hear you. I couldn't believe how tough it was when I sat down to do it earlier. However, remember that mine are full answers. They are not a marking scheme. Assuming most people found it very tough, you can expect the scheme to allow 'any mention of 30 years experience' etc in a bid to reward what candidates could actually do. In addition, you can expect the marks awarded for the easier questions to be increased whilst the more difficult elements could be worth as low as 1 mark.

Now this is all assumption. We've no way of knowing tonight how people have done. However, you do know that they have to come up with the same bell curve of grades as always. And they will:)

Advertisement