Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFH Zones and HRV - practical?

• 11-06-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm at tender stage for a new build. Have Geothermal heat pump, MHRV, and UFH specced in what should be an A2 rated house.

The advice I'm being given by an installer (for the complete system) is that zones for UFH are a waste, due to the HRV system balancing out the heat over a period.
    To give the installer his due, he did indicate that there is more to it but I've yet to have a full conversation on the subject.

Any advice?
    Any questions I should ask when I do have that chat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

I have no zones and it works ok for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

fclauson wrote: »
    I have no zones and it works ok for me

Do you live in a bungalow or two-storey fclauson?

I'd expect a two storey to have a zone between upper and lower floor, but could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Tommyboy08

Do you live in a bungalow or two-storey fclauson?

I'd expect a two storey to have a zone between upper and lower floor, but could be wrong.

No zones anywhere, make sure the ufh loops are of equal length and 100mm apart and let your heat pump do the rest with weather comp, cheapest most comfortable and most efficient,
    I just hope you have a good installer and quality heat pump,
    Which unit have you decided to opt for?

Tommyboy08 wrote: »
    No zones anywhere, make sure the ufh loops are of equal length and 100mm apart and let your heat pump do the rest with weather comp, cheapest most comfortable and most efficient,

Thanks Tommyboy.
    Nothing chosen yet but Heliotherm is in the mix. Not sure if vertical bore or horizontal just yet. Ground is a little rocky.

Tommyboy08 wrote: »

Dragging this up again, now that I've had time to think on it a little.
    Wondering how it would be cheaper to heat 'more' rather than heat only those zones that I need?
    Or is the cheaper in this the fact that I don't shell out for extra thermostats and the like?

And although I understand somewhat that HRV will eventually balance a zoned system, I'm wondering how this works. If you consider that in those rooms which I might zone separately for extra heat, if there is only an output from the HRV (not an intake) - how does the heat get taken from this room and get balanced out by HRV?
    Wouldn't there have to be an input to the HRV in this same room for this to happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement