Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL German before/after **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Hi I'm Betty but only Franz calls me that and I'm depressed about life in general boohoo but wait I found a mystical f**king pig plushy that an old lady likes and RAINBOWS! life is worth living!

Seriously German. Seriously. :P
    Wasn't that hard a paper though but seriously those SEC crowd know a good comprehension when they see one. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

QUITE a lovely paper to be honest, though Aeusserung A was a bit different from other years it was still really nice :P
    Also the first paragraph in the Letter was lovely, basically a do-what-you-want-with-it question :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Lads what was with the Skype yoke? I started talking out of my arse about their family and how they exchange houses for holidays and stuff like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

SecondMan wrote: »
    Lads what was with the Skype yoke? I started talking out of my arse about their family and how they exchange houses for holidays and stuff like that?

Yeah it was basically a self-introduction that he did over Skype, that's it. Ich bin Pip, Ich bin 16 Jahre alt. Meine Mutter heisst whatever, mein Vater heisst whatever and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastian_Baker

He's going to be huge!

Average paper, the listening parts 3 and 4 weren't very nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Bertser wrote: »

long lost brother of Andrew Garfield??

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭VincentLeB

Chikablam wrote: »
    0__0

You serious?
    Prodigious wrote: »
    And picked up the pig by the two ears yeah? And carried it by putting her two arms around it? And brought it on the taxi and the train ? Good man.
    Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    So it wasn't a pig haha lets hope so!

Here is the exact text:
    Da sah ich im Erdgeschoss neben den
    Teddybären das Schwein. Es sah fast wie ein
    Mensch aus. Ich weiβ nicht, wieso ich auf den
    Namen Erika kam, aber es war wirklich mein
    erster Gedanke. Erika war beinahe so groβ wie ein
    ausgewachsenes Schwein.

There I saw on the ground floor, near the teady bears, the pig. It looked almost like a person. I don't know why I gave it the name Erika (well more "I don't know why the name Erika came to me), but it was really my first thought. Erika was almost as tall as a growing pig.

So: definitely a pig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

No, a teddy bear. Made from plush, light pink materials.

No, a teddy bear. Made from plush, light pink materials.

Hahahahah oh right you're joking XD. Or else you never mastered that the idea of subject-object in German word order... "das Schwein"...

VincentLeB wrote: »
    Hahahahah oh right you're joking XD. Or else you never mastered that the idea of subject-object in German word order... "das Schwein"...

No, I'm not. So what you're saying it's a pig "about the size of an adult pig"

• Advertisement

Good God man I spoke with two German teachers afterwards; it was definitely a pig. But you won't lose that many marks at all once you described everything else correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Well given that I haven't looked at any German in the last two weeks, that was pretty meh.

Comprehensions were ok, winged the grammar (as in just stuck down whatever came into my head) and more or less bullsh@t my way through the letter and ausserung. Half the listening was piss easy, the rest was taking the piss (and MORE about that feckin' Gathering :rolleyes: )

Had never intended counting German though as did a rubbish oral as well as everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Guys, it's obviously a teddy bear of a pig.....

Good God man I spoke with two German teachers afterwards; it was definitely a pig. But you won't lose that many marks at all once you described everything else correctly.

"Made out of pink fur" on google translate.

Well obviously! I wasn't suggesting that it was a real live pig. It is a toy pig FFS. But it is not a teddy bear.

It is a cuddly, toy pig.

Well obviously! I wasn't suggesting that it was a real live pig. It is a toy pig FFS. But it is not a teddy bear.

It is a cuddly, toy pig.

I mean this is a given that it's a toy. One of the questions actually says that. The point is that she saw a bloody toy pig near the teddy bears. If you missed that it was a pig, you missed the point of it. You won't lose that many marks.

Like bloody hell I translated the paragraph and everything.

It is a cuddly, toy pig.

So yeah, a teddy pig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

It is a cuddly, toy pig.

"Teddy bear" is kind of applicable to all stuffed toys
    So when people say "it's a teddy", and then others say "no it's a pig", it can be understood as a real, live pig.

At least, that's what happened to me.

Like bloody hell I translated the paragraph and everything.

Chill out to Fúck, you clearly made it out to be a real pig.

So yeah, a teddy pig?

It is a cuddly soft pig if you want. But calling it a teddy bear is incorrect: this is the definition of a teddy bear from Wikipedia: "The teddy bear is a soft toy in the form of a bear."

From the Free Dictionary: "a stuffed toy bear made from soft or fluffy material Often shortened to teddy"

From Collin's Dictionary: "a stuffed toy bear made from soft or fluffy material Often shortened to: teddy"

From Macmillan dictionary: "a soft toy bear"

There's one constant here. A teddy bear is a "bear".

Anyway, the whole point is that you missed that it was a pig. You didn't know the word Schwein, and if you did, you didn't realise that she bought a pig instead of a teddy bear. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Chikablam wrote: »
    "Teddy bear" is kind of applicable to all stuffed toys
    So when people say "it's a teddy", and then others say "no it's a pig", it can be understood as a real, live pig.

At least, that's what happened to me.

I didn't describe it to be a real live pig. The question said describe the toy she bought. Even if I did, upon reading it, think it was a real live pig, this would obviously let me know it wasn't.

Anyway, the whole point is that you missed that it was a pig. You didn't know the word Schwein, and if you did, you didn't realise that she bought a pig instead of a teddy bear. :rolleyes:

So basically you're a pathetic attempt for a troll? Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

So basically you're a pathetic attempt for a troll? Good job.

I don't see how he's a troll. He pointed out earlier that it was a pig and not a teddy bear and you went on trying to (incorrectly) prove that it was a teddy bear, and now you've backtracked after you realised you were wrong. Looks like you're the troll to me.

Vivara wrote: »
    I don't see how he's a troll. He pointed out earlier that it was a pig and not a teddy bear and you went on trying to (incorrectly) prove that it was a teddy bear, and now you've backtracked after you realised you were wrong. Looks like you're the troll to me.

It is a teddy bear. In the form of a pig. He was using equivocation and attempting to troll.
    http://bit.ly/13M1Q7K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

The State Examinations Commission: Provoking German students and causing heated discussions as to the distinction between a teddy bear and a pig since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

I did my Leaving Cert. a few years ago, am in college at the moment and spent a few summers in Germany. I used to be quite fluent.

I just had a look at the comprehension. It's pretty clear that the reason they said the pig was near the teddy bears was because they were hoping you would fall into the trap of calling it a teddy bear and miss that it was a cuddly pig.

Knowing the German marking schemes, (teddy bear=0) is probably what's going to be there because of that. There is no doubt that a lot of people sometimes call cuddly pigs teddy bear pigs, but if they say that the pig was "near the teddy bears" and not "in the teddy bear section" you can be pretty sure that you're not going to get the marks for that.

My friend is a German teacher in a school in Cork, I can ask her if you would like.

Anyway, as far as I can see, this guy isn't a troll, he hasn't trolled before (looking through his post history), and was just pointing it out. Looks like you got a tiny bit flustered and you're annoyed that you were caught out. Has happened to me many times. But it does no good to call someone a troll... that's a cop-out out of admitting you were wrong.

Anyway... I have no idea why I keep coming back to this Leaving Cert. forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Think I called it a teddy bear stuffed soft toy pig.
    T'will be grand. Sure tis all done now :cool:

I did however totally blank on the letter, so basically the only "typical irish food" I ate was ham and meat. A1. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lonepiper

I had down teddy bear first but then when she started on about it being pick and a snout I went back a checked...
    Also loved that the gathering question on the tape,I answered it before I even heard that section :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Finally an exam after which I can say I did well. If I did a bit of study it would've been a definite A, but I'm still happy with what I got. I wasn't expecting to be pushed for time though :/ .

I can't believe Gathering was on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Your ones name on the listening was a weird one. I got Harmsen or something

Advertisement