Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**ART HISTORY Before/After**

• 11-06-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭

Sooooo anyone worried or looking forward to it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Can't wait :D probably the only exam I'm looking forward to, such a relaxing exam and were spoiled for choice! And its so interesting
    ...am I alone on that? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

peekachoo wrote: »
    Can't wait :D probably the only exam I'm looking forward to, such a relaxing exam and were spoiled for choice! And its so interesting

Yes :P

Oh okay I think I just got lucky with a great teacher. Never mind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TentacleCubes

We barely covered any of the actual written exam side of the course, but I guess we can just wing it to some extent?
    I failed my mock, but I think I did a million times better with my drawing this time, so I think that should bring my mark up a good bit. It's painful not knowing how things are marked :S
    Revise wise should cover me, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LukeF96

I'm doing higher level and have had to teach myself what i know in the past 2 weeks -_-
    Hopefully the things i have studied will come up.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Got 67% in this in the mock, hope to bring it up to a high b or a :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maidhfinden

Don't waste time learning everything.. for Irish section I'm only doing stone age, bronze age, iron age and newgrange. For European I'm just sticking with impressionism. Look through the papers and see what group of artists/movements always comes up and pick the one you're most interested in! Impressionism interests me so I find it easy to study :) Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

I'm in the same boat as you!! For the last two weeks of school, there was only myself and my friend in art hist. class :p
    Got the A1 in the mocks and A2 (or maybe A1) in the pre-mocks so hoping that the paper goes my way tomorrow as think my craft went well and was happy with my still life, though not sure about the life drawing short pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sleeve

What topics are supposed to be coming up??

Sleeve wrote: »
    What topics are supposed to be coming up??

As the course is so broad, it's hard to say without knowing what you've studied.
    But in general, you'll get a stone/bronze/iron age Q in Irish hist (along with like 6/7 other Qs). For European hist - normally Gothic/Romanesque, a movement (eg Cubism, Impressionism), Renaissance, as well as another half a dozen different Qs/topic. Art Appreciation often will have things like public sculpture, a gallery visit, film studies etc.

Your best bet is flicking through some past papers and finding the topics you know that come up most regularly.

• Advertisement

Thataone wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you!! For the last two weeks of school, there was only myself and my friend in art hist. class :p
    Got the A1 in the mocks and A2 (or maybe A1) in the pre-mocks so hoping that the paper goes my way tomorrow as think my craft went well and was happy with my still life, though not sure about the life drawing short pose.

Yeah same it was the only paper I got an A in for the mocks :) my teacher though it's like...she loves art so much and she's genuinely fascinated by it and it makes it so easy for us to learn it idk :P hoping for the best with craft, definitely went better than the mocks :D

Yeah same it was the only paper I got an A in for the mocks :) my teacher though it's like...she loves art so much and she's genuinely fascinated by it and it makes it so easy for us to learn it idk :P hoping for the best with craft, definitely went better than the mocks :D

Same, our teacher is fantastic - it makes such a difference! What craft did you do?

Thataone wrote: »
    Same, our teacher is fantastic - it makes such a difference! What craft did you do?

3 coloured lino! My teacher said she thinks it should stand out as everyone else did b+w :P I did imaginative instead of still life also, and on the day was possibly the first time I got the still life proportion right :D and you?

3 coloured lino! My teacher said she thinks it should stand out as everyone else did b+w :P I did imaginative instead of still life also, and on the day was possibly the first time I got the still life proportion right :D and you?

I also did 3 colour lino print :P but was the only one in my year to do any sort of a print. I chose "the harbour" but went for a darker approach rather than the pretty bobbing boats.
    Did chalks for my still life, based it on the passage about Antarctica, focusing on the old elements.
    I'd never be brave enough to try imaginative :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mollymulligan_

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PREDICTIONS FOR RENAISSANCE? There is usually 2 questions and I'm just studying that for EU art, any please help me narrow if down, Leonardo came up as well as Massacio last year the year before was Donatello an Michelangello and in 2010 it was Piero della Francesca and Raphael HELP ME!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Really not looking forward to this paper! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1 YoKell

anyone think any of these artists will come up for european? .. Bottichelli Carrvagio Valesquez Raphael?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eelly

I'm stressing out.. I'm studying Realism, Impressionism, Post-impressionism and Cubism for European Section.. What do yous think? Is that enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Right A heads how do I actually study for this? And what should I know? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dzeejkop

i will fail ;D
    i dont know why i choosed art i cant even draw a straight line ;|

any predictions for tomorrow so I can wake up at 6.00 and learn it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Legendredhead

I got an A2 in the mocks, with no study because i was working on my portfolio at the time(Got into NCAD and LSAD woohoo). I'm hoping i can bring that up to an A1 now with a bit of cramming. Practical went grand. Still life and a sexy one colour lino of a dark face behind a ships stern, was happy with life drawing too.

I'm about to look over
    Pre Christian (Iron age and Newgrange, Bronze came up last year)
    I'll probably skip christian.
    Georgian Architecture. (The townhouse is a handy question if you get it)
    Refresh romanesque and gothic architecture in my head.

High Rennaissance (Raphael, Michaelangelo)
    Small bit of immpressionism. I like Degas.
    Good bit of post impressionists. (Van gogh, Cezanne,)
    Picasso, Dali.

The design question is handy enough, as is the description of a painting.

Overall there's plenty to go over but whittle it down to what you at least kind of like! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

I've NEVER studied Art History, never did classes; I'm an external student. I heard that you can learn three essays and they will come up, for sure.

What do I learn before tomorrow? Tips, tricks? Prayers would be kind. I have 6.5 hours of study allocated for it. :cool:

Additionally, I know Manuscripts, New Grange and Neo-Classical Palladiosm. Will these come up? How much time per essay? Exam techniques?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mollymulligan_

YoKell wrote: »
    anyone think any of these artists will come up for european? .. Bottichelli Carrvagio Valesquez Raphael?

Raphael came up recently, last time Botticelli came up was 06 so he's go

snip

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bunclan

Thinking about studying Iron age and Newgrange for section 1 and maybe a little bit of Bronze age to cover myself if I have time.
    For section 2 I was thinking Degas, Monet, Manet, Van Gogh and Cezanne.
    Section three will be fine for me. I usually do the gallery question.

Do you think I will have enough covered here for tomorrow then?

Which impressionist painters are most likely?
    And which of the 3 prechriastian topics?

So I was looking through art papers and for Irish, Paul Henry jack yeats and the iron/stone ages haven't came up in like 5-6 years
    And for European, giotto and van eyck haven't been up since 2006, degas and Cezanne haven't been up in a while and Picasso! Just lettin you know ;)

So I was looking through art papers and for Irish, Paul Henry jack yeats and the iron/stone ages haven't came up in like 5-6 years
    And for European, giotto and van eyck haven't been up since 2006, degas and Cezanne haven't been up in a while and Picasso! Just lettin you know ;)

Iron/ stone age came up last year

• Advertisement

Iron/ stone age came up last year

together as a question but alone, for eg the broighter collar and metalworks could be asked for iron age, as last year they were asked to discuss stone carving during the iron age.
    Also bronze age and high crosses came up last year, all very common topics so they could easily be repeated!

Advertisement