Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**ART HISTORY Before/After**

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I did the Book of Kells, A self portrait and The Gallery question! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

I did Iron age, Gothic (Chartres Cathedral) and film studies (Les Mis). I hadn't planned on doing film studies but when I got a chance to write about Les Mis, nothing was going to stop me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Nothing I studied for Irish came up :/
    Ended up doing Meeting on the Turret stairs and comparing it to A Family by Le Brocquy which wasn't as bad as I thought.
    Cubism for European was handy enough,
    gallery question was odd but we went through something like that in class a few weeks ago :pac:
    Overall hard paper, worded difficultly but I think as I went through it it wasn't as hard as I thought.

Gonna be optimistic and still hope for an A? :P

Hoping I did well in it! My craft and thins went really well so I don't want that dragging me down!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrySeoighe

DEGAS YOU LEGEND.!!!!!!!!! :) Delighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 LukeF96

Not happy with that paper at all.
    Done Harry clarke, Self-portrait (Van Gogh) and the poster Q.
    Got little on harry clarke and van gogh.
    Hopefully I've gotten about 15-20% out that paper.

They really are making the art paper much harder especially the gallery q. I was thrown off that I didn't get to discuss any artwork! I still got it in though, when I was drawing the room plan i did a separate diagram to show the frame and plaques beside it and drew in Still Life With A Mandolin. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

Wow, that paper was great.
    Oddly enough it was the only exam so far that made me so nervous, that I thought I'd get sick. Was sooo nervy. Did Iron Age, Degas and the Gallery visit Question. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

That paper was the definition of EVIL!
    Had covered NOTHING of section 2 of that exam in school.
    Where the hell was high renaissance?

Of course I didn't realise I couldve used school of Athens for self portrait.

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I also said coke bottles have sex appeal. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

VERMEER! :D Sooo happy with that, and it was such a nice question, I loved the book of kells Q 2, was general enough, feel so bad for people who banked on Le Broquey (aka... most of my class) but over all I was happy with the paper, except the last section, Gallery question was sooo wanky....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

Could some kind soul let me know exactly what came up for the Ord and Hons papers and how the gallery question was phrased? It sounds like it wasnt straight forward. Signed, art teacher in hospital.

flerg wrote: »
    Could some kind soul let me know exactly what came up for the Ord and Hons papers and how the gallery question was phrased? It sounds like it wasnt straight forward. Signed, art teacher in hospital.

The gallery question was to discuss the main steps taken by the curator when planning and mounting the exhibition in the gallery.

And part two of it was how would you go about curatoring a transition year exhibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

flerg wrote: »

OL
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2013/LC014GLPC00EV.pdf

HL
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2013/LC014ALP013EV.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Did anyone read the film appreciation question. One part of it said write how'd your visual outlook regarding 'The Gathering.' Now do they mean any type of gathering, or does it have to do with the Social Ireland crap ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭miss_aisling

Everything i predicted to come up didn't (Bronze and monet on the general) But it was grand was dreading the iron age coming up but the way the question was written was sound! Did van gogh on qs 14 for self portrait. And then i did the gallery qs. Overall? I is a happy bunny. Plus my exams are now officially OVER. yeeeow! :D

Jade. wrote: »
    The gallery question was to discuss the main steps taken by the curator when planning and mounting the exhibition in the gallery.

And part two of it was how would you go about curatoring a transition year exhibition.

how much should you have written for the last part on organizing an exhibit. only did about 3/4 page but i skipped a couple of lines

how much should you have written for the last part on organizing an exhibit. only did about 3/4 page but i skipped a couple of lines

That amount should be fine obviously it depends on what you wrote! But generally that second part of the question is only worth about 5 marks maybe 10 out of the total marks!

I did a page including a sketch but I did 4 pages for the layout of the national gallery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 karlobrien_

I did the mona lisa as a self portrait for Leonardo simply due to the fact that my book says it is possibly him in the female form. I had to do it with no other options, but I hope i'm ok, during the exam someone came in to talk to the supervisor and the supervisor told me afterward that he is an art teacher and saw what I was doing (I highlighted the question) and thought it was a clever idea. Fingers crossed that the examiner thinks the same!

I did something like that too. Well I did Leonardo Da Vincis actual self portrait and then mentioned the Mona Lisa aswell!

• Advertisement

Clever! One of my friends did The Taking of Christ as its thought that one of the people in it is a self portrait of Carvaggio.
    I mean I'm sure there's no set marking scheme to say which works are and aren't acceptable and if it's plausible it's all good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 karlobrien_

Whoever did the gallery question what did you mention? as far as i remember I did light, walking space, display method, informative text and wall colour

Jade. wrote: »
    That amount should be fine obviously it depends on what you wrote! But generally that second part of the question is only worth about 5 marks maybe 10 out of the total marks!

Phew! It was very much a last ten mins thing. What a relief.

peekachoo wrote: »
    I did a page including a sketch but I did 4 pages for the layout of the national gallery!

Yeah i did about two pages for layout/atmosphere and then i did a page each on twi pieces. How many pieces dod everyone do?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Biology crushed my soul
    But art took a knife to my heart, threw it on the ground, and stamped all over it. :(

I cant face going to school today to study.:(

Why did yee all love it, who the heck is Degas?

It was EVIL EVIL EVIL

So many people said they have to repeat now cause art has royally screwed them (us) over :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

RANT OVER

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Feel your pain, my daughter's in bits after Art .. has probably lost her course as a result. Nothing she had prepared came up in a format where she could get good marks .. the hoped for A likely to be a C3

Yeah i did about two pages for layout/atmosphere and then i did a page each on twi pieces. How many pieces dod everyone do?? :)

I didn't do any I just mentioned what paintings were laid out where. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maidhfinden

That gallery question was just strange! Wonder did they want references to paintings in detail? Answered it on a Manet exhibition I saw in the Royal Academy in London this February. The second part was just crap, did it in ten minutes and mentioned something about planning that one of the TY students would make a speech about the exhibition or something, haha such bull!

And anyone do the Degas/impressionism question? What the hell, there was not that much to say about photography influencing the impressionists was there?! And I wonder how many paintings they wanted reference to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Steveco99

The paper is based around certain periods in Irish and European art history, and there will always be at least 1 question on each period. The trick is extensively studying a chosen period for both the Irish and European sections, and practising awkward gallery questions from past papers, as there has never been a paper without a gallery question. For example, teachers who deliver a european course that includes Da Vinci, Monet and Picasso are missing the point. There will be questions on the renaissance, Impressionism/Post Impressionism and 20th century art movements, but you cannot predict which artist they will ask about, so you need to know a lot about a particular period, but only one period. The same applies to the Irish section.

• Advertisement
Advertisement