Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside house

Options
  • 11-06-2013 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Recently moved into a new house and theres free street parking. I know, I know. A dedicated space wasnt included in the lease and its free street parking. Its a free for all. Just wondering if theres a nice way of clearing a spot outside my home to park?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If it's a free for all then it's precisely that. You have no right to park outside your own house if it's on the street. You have a right not to have access to your property impeded but absolutely no right to "clear a spot" outside your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you live on a city street, what does "clearing a spot" to park in refer to exactly? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

As others have said, if it's a public street, you don't have any more rights to park there than somebody from the other end of the country so don't go putting cones out or anything like that - that's just silliness.

Assuming you're city based, you can lobby your local council to make the street disc parking to dissuade casual/all day parking by people not from the area, and you get a residents parking permit for €40/year or whatever it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

This reminds me of a time before we were married that Mrs CML was sharing a house in a certain estate in Clonmel.

She once parked outside somone else's house by necessity and was roared at by the owner for daring to park there and being told that "We own our house, you're only renting!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If you live on a city street, what does "clearing a spot" to park in refer to exactly? Just curious.

It seems to involve putting a traffic cone, chair or something like that in the parking space to prevent anyone else using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

markpb wrote: »
    It seems to involve putting a traffic cone, chair or something like that in the parking space to prevent anyone else using it.

Only problem with that is people see that as a red rag to a bull and want to park there then.
    Parking is the number one reason for fighting amongst neighbours according to an article I read years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cml387 wrote: »
    She once parked outside somone else's house by necessity and was roared at by the owner for daring to park there and being told that "We own our house, you're only renting!!".

I had someone try pull that line (when I actually own, and freehold at that when he's leasehold as it happens) and then "I own to halfway on the road" (no, the council do and before they took the estate in charge, the freeholder did, not you).

Old codger who appeared to think that a "young" person couldn't possible own the same kind of house as him, suspect it might have been in your wifes case too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

op

this is a right pain. I think it's plain rude to park outside someone else's house all night.Unfortunately, you've to just suck it up and accept it's part and parcel of living in an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

digzy wrote: »
    I think it's plain rude to park outside someone else's house all night.

Why so?

djimi wrote: »
    Why so?

because you're inconveniencing the residents of that home. What if they've a baby and have to cart all their stuff 5 mins down the street. it's called consideration.Find somewhere else to park. It's not illegal, just rude, and that,s how squabbles start. You can say 'i'll park where i want on principle' but why have an unnecessary row with someone over something so silly.

I used to live in charlemont, an estate off griffith ave. it was mainly owner occupiers.I remember the they used to go nuts when we used to park on the street outside their houses. They'd no right to tell anyone to fcuk off but I didn't fancy arriving out to my car with the arial or a mirror broken off. It was actually funny how anal the guy in the neighboring semi d would leave out notes on the car if you parked a foot over the 'border' on the street.

Planners should have made more accommodation for parking in that estate as for many others across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its just as rude to expect somebody to park elsewhere just so your convenienced.

very few people park in front of a neighbours house rather than theirs out of spite but out of necessity, either they have a guest parked outside their house or somebody else is there.

Tough you don't own the spot if your worried about dragging your poor child's stuff 5 minutes park in your driveway.

I think people who have an issue with this have a cheek. I went past Wesley College there last week and saw a load of signs for the estate across from it saying residents parking only (seems there was some kind of car boot sale or something)

if I had been going to it Id have actively gone out of my way to park in that estate. People with this parking entitlement thought process piss me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

because you're inconveniencing the residents of that home. What if they've a baby and have to cart all their stuff 5 mins down the street. it's called consideration.Find somewhere else to park. It's not illegal, just rude, and that,s how squabbles start. You can say 'i'll park where i want on principle' but why have an unnecessary row with someone over something so silly.

I used to live in charlemont, an estate off griffith ave. it was mainly owner occupiers.I remember the they used to go nuts when we used to park on the street outside their houses. They'd no right to tell anyone to fcuk off but I didn't fancy arriving out to my car with the arial or a mirror broken off. It was actually funny how anal the guy in the neighboring semi d would leave out notes on the car if you parked a foot over the 'border' on the street.

Planners should have made more accommodation for parking in that estate as for many others across the country.

Without wanting to sound harsh, if you want convenient and personal parking then dont buy/rent a property that does not include a parking space. You have no legal right to the public road in front of your property, and just because it happens to be adjacent to your front door does not mean that anyone else has any less right to park there than you do. Its not rude; its just a fact of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

most times I park outside my house, and my wife parks on the driveway, however occasional the neighbours may have guests who parked outside my house. out a eircom van/upc van or something is parked there, so i just park in outside a neighbours house.

no harm done, I know I have no legal entitlement to park there, its a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Friends of mine live in a housing estate where some guy actually painted lines on the road to indicate the borders of 'his' road space. If anyone dares to park between those lines, he will have a go at them. I'm just glad I don't live next to a nutter like that.

miezekatze wrote: »
    Friends of mine live in a housing estate where some guy actually painted lines on the road to indicate the borders of 'his' road space. If anyone dares to park between those lines, he will have a go at them. I'm just glad I don't live next to a nutter like that.

Id park there purposely and laugh at him when he goes off on his childish rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭berrecka

The woman next door to me does this too. We live on a narrow street with no parking provisions other than the street. If ever there is a car parked outside her house, she will knock on every door until she finds out who owns it and gets them to move. She too has painted lines coming from her boundary onto the street. I conform when I can to make life easy, but if I have nowhere else to park ill go over her lines. Recently I told her I had been drinking (clean sober at the time) and couldn't get behind the wheel when she came knocking - I had left her buckets of space but she's an atrocious parker and couldn't fit in to it. None of us have the right to park anywhere, generally we consider our neighbours but sometimes when people have guests or workers in, you gotta park a little further from your front door and stretch the old legs, no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The planners caused the problems by insisting that nearly all developments had 1.5 spaces per unit while not caring that the nearest public transport option was miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

miezekatze wrote: »

If the estate is taken in charge, contact the council to notify them of the vandalism and who did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I visited a friend and parked outside his neighbours house (terrace, no assigned parking) and got a snotty note on my windscreen. My mate kept the note and put it on her car when she parked outside his. Cupid Stunt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

We lived in Grosvenor Square in Rathmines many years ago when a friend of ours came to visit. It was the first time out of her hometown since her father died a couple of weeks before and we had invited her up to have a chat, have a glass or two of wine and chill out for the night. There was no free space in front of our house and so she parked around the other side (this was when it was still all free-for-all parking) and walked over to ours where she was quite emotional for the night over the passing of her father (having lost her mother a couple of years previously). The next morning we got up to find that the air was let out of all her tyres and something had been done to the valves that meant we had to call out a garage to help us out. Hers was the only car that had been affected so I can only assume it was some petty cúnt getting her back for parking in their space. We never found out who it was and I'm not one to wish violence on people normally but if I had found them that morning I would have cut their bollix off with a rusty blade.

Lesson for everyone: If you live in a road with free for all parking, don't be a cúnt. There's more important things to worry about in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

There's a guy that lives across the road from my mother and he leaves a cone out so that no one will park in his space. The thing is if there are other spaces available, he'll use those and not park his car there. Quite often his car ends up outside my mothers house with "his" space still sitting idle - she gets fierce thick about it.

A neighbouring house of mine had tenants leave neglecting to take their car and leaving it in the driveway. After some agro from the landlord they decided to push it up to outside my house. Thankfully the corporation decided to take it after about 6 weeks, if not it would be still there now. There's one thing about public roads and entitlements, but some people are inconsiderate w*nkers regardless.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

We lived in Grosvenor Square in Rathmines many years ago when a friend of ours came to visit. It was the first time out of her hometown since her father died a couple of weeks before and we had invited her up to have a chat, have a glass or two of wine and chill out for the night. There was no free space in front of our house and so she parked around the other side (this was when it was still all free-for-all parking) and walked over to ours where she was quite emotional for the night over the passing of her father (having lost her mother a couple of years previously). The next morning we got up to find that the air was let out of all her tyres and something had been done to the valves that meant we had to call out a garage to help us out. Hers was the only car that had been affected so I can only assume it was some petty cúnt getting her back for parking in their space. We never found out who it was and I'm not one to wish violence on people normally but if I had found them that morning I would have cut their bollix off with a rusty blade.

Lesson for everyone: If you live in a road with free for all parking, don't be a cúnt. There's more important things to worry about in life.

That's crazy! It reminds me though, I once had the passenger side of my car all scratched up with a key or something after visiting someone and parking kind of half outside their house and the neighbours, on the street. It was the only place where I could have parked at the time and I was only there for an hour or two. It was obvious who did it, but these neighbours were known troublemakers and the people I was visiting were already getting intimidated by them, so I couldn't do anything.

djimi wrote: »
    Without wanting to sound harsh, if you want convenient and personal parking then dont buy/rent a property that does not include a parking space. You have no legal right to the public road in front of your property, and just because it happens to be adjacent to your front door does not mean that anyone else has any less right to park there than you do. Its not rude; its just a fact of life.

What are you on about. i don''t live in an estate so i dunno why you're telling me the 'rules'of parking. i don't care. I wasn't bothered about the issue when i was renting. It was the neighbors who had the issue, writing notes etc..
    I know full well nobody owns the space on the street outside their home. I stated that in my first post on the thread.

If in the standard semi-d, where there's a space for one car each on the drive and one each on the street, I don't see any point in consistently antagonizing your next door neighbor by parking outside their home. Legally you're correct of course but start that nonsense with your next door neighbor and see where it gets you. Life's a bit short to be getting into arguments. If it's the wrong neighbor the mirrors get clipped or worse. What next, camera's on the drive? all escalating into madness over nothing.

In general any owner occupiers tend not to park outside other houses out of basic manners. Most parking issues alluded to by op arise where you've more than the 2 cars per house. Usually it happens where you've a few lads (like me a few years back )sharing a house cos they're renting and 'estate eti quette is the least of their worries.

D3PO wrote: »
    Id park there purposely and laugh at him when he goes off on his childish rants.

and thats not the least bit childish..............
    you wont be laughing if your cars vandalised and you cant prove who did it

and thats not the least bit childish..............
    you wont be laughing if your cars vandalised and you cant prove who did it

if my car was vandalised Id not have to prove who did it to take the appropriate retaliatory action plus some. Read from that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

if my car was vandalised Id not have to prove who did it to take the appropriate retaliatory action plus some. Read from that what you will.

there's a big difference between being an internet hard man and what happens in real life

a friend of mine gave the "I'll park where it's legal, tough, it's taxed isn't it" answer to a neighbour of someone he was visiting a couple of years ago, and he came out the next time he visited a week or so later them to find every side panel of his 5 series scratched with a key, cost him over €3k to fill and respray

he knew who did it, but of course their house was covered by CCTV

there's a big difference between being an internet hard man and what happens in real life

More fool your friend for just accepting it.

I'm not into talking tough, id ensure the perpetrator suffered twofold before installing the necessary CCTV which is cheap as chips these days besides which I live in a respectable South Dublin suburb so the kind of action being mooted would be unlikely to occur anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I shat myself in fear reading that...

I shat myself in fear reading that...

good man. Now perhaps you might want to go to the after hours forum. More your style Id have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

And then maybe they could throw a rock into a windscreen or put sugar into the tank and you could pay them back twofold and eventually you could sue each other for next twenty years. I know someone who died because one of those neighbourly disputes got nasty. After his death the dispute was sorted in couple of years. I also know a few lawyers who make a killing from spats like that. If people want that fine but I always thought it's stupid.

Advertisement